[26 January 2020]
500 Spotless Mind Days Of The Eternal Sunshine Summer
Genre – the couples go on 500 dates together, oblivious that they had their memories wiped after swapping partners
Jack Fell Down. A Pail Of Water Was Needed. Jack And Jill Went Up The Hill
Genre – non-linear retelling of a classic
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Saying what word three times conjures Michael Keaton’s character in Beetlejuice?
BETELGEUSE / BEETLEJUICE
2. Heath Ledger played William Thatcher in which medieval action film?
A KNIGHT’S TALE
3. The animated feature, Anastasia, is set in which country?
4. What colour is Alice’s dress in Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland?
5. The character Lt Aldo Raine appeared in which film?
6. The Sound Of Music was released in which year?
7. Guy Ritchie directed Charlie Hunnam in which epic fantasy adaptation?
KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD
8. Name the two lead actors in Gone Girl (one point per correct answer)
BEN AFFLECK / ROSAMUND PIKE
9. How many Die Hard films have been released to date?
10. The following quote is from which film, “What Jesus fails to appreciate is that it’s the meek who are the problem”?
MONTY PYTHON’S LIFE OF BRIAN
ROUND II: Filming [Non-linear films]
1. Arrival was released in which year? 2012? 2016? 2019?
2. Who played the role of Steve Wozniak in 2015’s Steve Jobs? Josh Gad? Haley Joel Osment? Seth Rogen?
3. The following quote is from which film, “Most days of the year are unremarkable, they begin and they end with no lasting memories made in between. Most days have made no impact on the course of a life. May 23rd was a Wednesday”? (500) Days Of Summer? Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind? Bad Times At The El Royale?
(500) DAYS OF SUMMER
4. Which novel is often referred to in Slumdog Millionaire? Oliver Twist? The Three Musketeers? Frankenstein?
THE THREE MUSKETEERS
5. How many years passed between the release of Sin City and Sin City: A Dame To Kill For? 5? 9? 14?
6. What is the name of Robert De Niro’s character in Once Upon A Time In America? Sharkey? Moe? Noodles?
7. What is Solaris in the1972 soviet film of the same name? A song? A computer? A planet?
8. What is the name of Mr Dawson’s (played by Mark Rylance) boat in Dunkirk? Fancy Lady? Moonstone? Ice Breaker?
9. How many men are sat under the Rashomon gate discussing the trial in Rashomon? 2? 3? 5?
THREE (the woodcutter, the priest and the commoner)
10. Warren Beatty was the original choice for Bill in Kill Bill. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which film featured Jessica Chastain, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence and Tye Sheridan?
X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX
2. Who directed all the Mad Max films?
3. Silver Linings Playbook was released in which year?
4. The following quote is from which film, “Once again I found myself on my own and going to my mother’s annual turkey curry buffet. Every year she tries to fix me up with some bushy-haired middle-aged bore and I feared this year would be no exception”?
BRIDGET JONES’ DIARY
5. What is the title of the sequel to Moonraker?
FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
6. Who played the lead role in PS I Love You?
7. The Damned United is about which English football team?
8. What did Denis Villeneuve direct in between Prisoners and Sicario?
9. Which Disney film features the Sword of Truth and the Shield of Virtue?
10. What is the name of the Nostromo’s computer in Alien?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which Johnny English film is about an attempted assassination on the Chinese Premier? Johnny English? Johnny English Reborn? Johnny English Strikes Again?
JOHNNY ENGLISH REBORN
2. What is the name of Damien’s nanny in The Omen? Miss Frye? Mrs Baylock? Mrs Drake?
3. Which of the following films did not feature Danny DeVito? Big Fish? My Little Pony: The Movie? Look Who’s Talking Too?
LOOK WHO’S TALKING TOO
4. The following quote is from which film, “I wasted my life playing video games and we’re gonna die”? Weird Science? Step Brothers? Spider-Man: Far From Home?
SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME
5. Which of the following films made the most at the box office? X-Men: Days Of Future Past? Transformers: Age Of Extinction? Interstellar?
TRANSFORMERS: AGE OF EXTINCTION (highest grossing film of 2014 $1.1b, XMDOFP $747m, I $677m)
6. Which of the following did not appear in 2011’s Crazy Stupid Love? Kevin Bacon? Julianne Moore? Jon Favreau?
7. In which film did Clint Eastwood play Walt Kowalski? Gran Torino? Every Which Way But Loose? Unforgiven?
8. In Disney’s Hercules, the titular character meets Meg who is being hounded by what? Minotaur? Cyclops? Centaur?
9. What is the name of the sleeper ship in Passengers? Avalon? Arcadia? Elysium?
10. The infamous line from The Shining, “Here’s Johnny” was improvised by Jack Nicholson. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Layer Cake / Cloud Atlas / Paddington / The Zero Theorem
Poster: The Tempest
Actor: Ben Whishaw