[28 July 2019]
If Anyone Can Provide Can-Can, Caan Can
Genre – Buddy The Elf goes to New York and finds his Dad runs a burlesque club
The Brand Bupa-esque Hotel
Genre – Post Brexit hotels offer more
Wise So Serious?
Genre – Wrongheaded attempt to cast Morecambe and Wise in a Nolan Batman film
Genre – A man wakes up to a world where no one can remember the life affirming songs of Westlife
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Blade Runner 2049 is the sequel to which film?
2. The following quote is from which film, “Frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”?
GONE WITH THE WIND
3. V For Vendetta is set in an alternate version of which country?
ENGLAND / UNITED KINGDOM
4. What is the title of the most recently released MCU film?
SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME
5. Studio Ghibli is an animation studio from which country?
6. Who voices Batman in the Lego Movie franchise?
7. What animal is Eeyore in 1977’s The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh?
8. Who won an Oscar for portraying Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody?
9. What did M Night Shyamalan direct in between The Village and The Happening?
LADY IN THE WATER
10. Which 2014 film, starring Kit Harington is about the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79AD?
ROUND II: Filming [Serious Actors In Comedies]
1. [Various] Galaxy Quest is a parody of which TV show? Friends? Law & Order? Star Trek?
2. [Jack Nicholson] Which actor played the female lead in As Good As It Gets? Holly Hunter? Bonnie Hunt? Helen Hunt?
3. [Christopher Walken] Balls Of Fury is about which sport? Table Tennis? Volleyball? Golf?
4. [Robert De Niro] How many years passed between the release of Analyse This and Analyse That? 3? 5? 8?
THREE (1999 / 2002)
5. [Meryl Streep] Who directed Death Becomes Her? Harold Ramis? Robert Zemeckis? Rob Reiner?
6. [Jeff Bridges] What is the dude’s drink of preference in The Big Lebowski? Moscow Mule? White Russian? Harvey Wallbanger?
7. [Renee Zellweger] Although he is nicknamed whitey, what is the name of the albino character in Me, Myself & Irene? Marley? Casper? Ben?
8. [Ralph Fiennes] In Bruges was nominated for how many Oscars? 0? 1? 4?
9. [Various] What is the name of the camp that Sam Shakusky is attending in Moonrise Kingdom? Camp Ivanhoe? Camp Hope? Camp Walden?
CAMP IVANHOE (the others are Heavyweights and The Parent Trap)
10. [Various] Kirk Lazarus in Tropic Thunder was originally written as Irish (as a parody of actors like Daniel Day Lewis) but it was changed because Downey Jr was more familiar with an Australian accent. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. In Sergio Leone’s dollar trilogy, Clint Eastwood’s character is known as the man with no name. Except in each film he is given a name. What are they? (one point per correct answer)
JOE / MANCO / BLONDIE
2. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World was released in which year?
3. What is the title of the 1988 Italian film, told in flashback, about a film director reminiscing on his friendship with a cinema projectionist?
4. What did Travis Bickle do before driving a taxi in Taxi Driver?
5. Who starred in The Italian Job and The Expendables?
6. What is the name of the llama in Napoleon Dynamite?
7. The following quote is from which film, “No drinking, no drugs, no kissing, no tattoos, no piercings, no ritualistic animal slaughters of any kind. Oh God, I’m giving them ideas”?
10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU
8. Which pair of directors worked with Matt Charman to write Bridge Of Spies?
JOEL COEN / ETHAN COEN
9. What is the name of the serial killer in The Silence Of The Lambs? [bonus point for his actual name]
BUFFALO BILL [Jame Gumb]
10. Monica Bellucci, Bruce Spence, Lawrence Fishburne and Hugo Weaving starred together in which film?
THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Juno was released in which year? 2007? 2011? 2014?
2. Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender starred in the adaptation of which Bronte novel? Wuthering Heights? The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall? Jane Eyre?
3. Which of the following did not appear in Richard Attenborough’s A Bridge Too Far? Alec Guinness? Michael Caine? Anthony Hopkins?
4. Who directed Hannibal? Ridley Scott? Steven Soderbergh? Brett Ratner?
5. What is the poster tagline for No Country For Old Men? Good things come to those who take? Everything catches up with you? There are no clean getaways?
THERE ARE NO CLEAN GETAWAYS
6. What is the statistic C3PO quotes to Han when navigating the asteroid field in The Empire Strikes Back? 3,720:1? 14,980:1? :100,360:1?
3720:1 (the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1)
7. What is the name of Biff Tannen’s great grandfather in Back To The Future Part III? Byron? Beaumont? Buford? [bonus point for naming his nickname]
BUFORD [Mad Dog]
8. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn play John Beckwith and Jeremy Grey respectively in which film? Wedding Crashers? The Internship? Zoolander?
9. Which Skarsgard brother played the title role in 2016’s The Legend Of Tarzan? Bill? Gustaf? Alexander?
10. Every movie directed by James Cameron has won the Oscar for best visual effects. True or False?
FALSE (Piranha II The Spawning didn’t and True Lies was nominated but didn’t win)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Lincoln / Star Wars: The Last Jedi / Midnight Special / Inside Llewyn Davis
Actor: Adam Driver