[16 December 2018]
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Scrooged is an adaptation of which novella?
A CHRISTMAS CAROL
2. How many The Santa Clause films have been made to date?
3. Who plays Ebenezer Scrooge in A Muppet Christmas Carol?
4. The following quote is from which film, “Long live Aslan and merry christmas”?
THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE
5. Which actors play the respective roles of Riggs and Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon? [one point per correct answer]
MEL GIBSON / DANNY GLOVER
6. Who plays Santa Claus in Fred Claus?
7. Which Monty Python film features a nativity scene?
LIFE OF BRIAN
8. Christian Bale plays killer Patrick Bateman in which film?
9. What is the name of Will Farrell’s character in Elf?
10. What is the title of the 1976 horror film set at Christmas that is often labelled the first slasher film?
ROUND II: Filming [Christmas Special]
1. Which Iron Man film is set at Christmas? Iron Man? Iron Man 2? Iron Man Three?
IRON MAN THREE
2. Ghostbusters II is set how many years after the first film? 2? 5? 7?
3. What item brings Jack back to life as a snowman in Jack Frost? Hat? Harmonica? Crab?
4. What is the title of the Christmas movie featuring James Gandolfini and Ben Affleck as a wealthy executive who pays a family to pose as his family for Christmas? One Fateful Night? Surviving Christmas? Rent-A-Holiday?
5. Which of the following did not appear in Love Actually? Martin Freeman? Rodrigo Santoro? John Boyega?
6. What name is given to the lead in The Polar Express? Hero Boy? Lead Child? Christmas Kid?
7. The Family Man was released in which year? 1997? 2000? 2003?
8. How old is Ralphie Parker in A Christmas Story? 6? 9? 13?
9. The following quote is from which film, “You guys are nothing but a bunch of sleazy conmen in red suits. You heard me right. Conmen. Thieves. Degenerates. Low-lifes. Thugs. Criminals!”? White Christmas? The Christmas Chronicles? Jingle All The Way?
JINGLE ALL THE WAY
10. Julia Roberts, Goldie Hawn, Jane Seymour and Diane Keaton were all considered for the role of Catwoman in Batman Returns. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What are the three rules of caring for Mogwai in Gremlins? (one point each)
NEVER EXPOSE IT TO BRIGHT LIGHT / NEVER GET IT WET / NEVER FEED IT AFTER MIDNIGHT
2. How many years passed between the release of Bad Santa and Bad Santa 2?
THIRTEEN (2003 – 2016)
3. Which Stanley Kubrick film features Christmas decorations in almost every scene?
EYES WIDE SHUT
4. What is the title of the Christmas film that stars both Danny DeVito and Matthew Broderick?
DECK THE HALLS
5. What did Clark forget when fetching a tree in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation?
6. The following quote is from which film, “I know I didn’t mean to but because of the choices I made, and the course that I put into action, that little boy isn’t here anymore, and he’ll never be here again”?
7. Boris Karloff, Jim Carrey and Benedict Cumberbatch have all played which character?
8. What type of pizza does Kevin order in Home Alone?
9. The following is the poster tagline for which Christmas film, “His father, her mother, his mother and her father, all in one day”?
10. What is the name of Jack Skellington’s dog, in The Nightmare Before Christmas?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. In Arthur Christmas, how big is S-1 (Santa’s high-tech sleigh)? 100 feet? 50 metres? 1 mile?
2. While it’s never made expressly clear, Christmas With The Kranks features a scene with the real Santa Claus selling what? Mops? Toe Rings? Umbrellas?
3. Rare Exports is set in which Scandinavian country? Finland? Sweden? Norway?
4. What is Winona Ryder’s character’s name in Edward Scissorhands? Kim? Kerry? Kat?
5. Which king does Peter O’Toole play in The Lion In Winter? Richard I? Henry II? George III?
6. The following quote is from which film, “You’re the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time”? Die Hard? Die Hard II? Trading Places?
7. In Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, in a case of mistaken identity Harry (played by Robert Downey Jnr) accidentally auditions for a role in a film that ends up going to which actor? Mark Wahlberg? Chris Evans? Colin Farrell?
8. In what year was Brazil released? 1982? 1985? 1987?
9. Which of the following films is set at Christmas? Crash? Vera Drake? Mississippi Burning?
10. 1947’s Miracle On 34th Street was released in the UK as The Big Heart. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Eastern Promises / Just Friends / Go / Tokyo Godfathers
Poster: Santa Claus: The Movie
Actor: Jack Lemmon
BOUNS MUSIC ROUND
1. Nightmare Before Christmas / Danny Elfman / 1993
2. Gremlins / Jerry Goldsmith / 1984
3. Batman Returns / Danny Elfman / 1992
4. Elf / John Debney / 2003
5. Home Alone / John Williams / 1990
6. Love Actually / Craig Armstrong / 2003
7. Lethal Weapon / Michael Kamen / 1987
8. The Muppets Christmas Carol / Miles Goodman / 1992
9. The Polar Express / Alan Silvestri / 2004
10. It’s A Wonderful Life / Dimitri Tiomkin / 1946