[25 March 2018]
The Belchdel Test
Genre – A documentary about women’s burping
The Seven Year Bitch
Genre – Marilyn Monroe and Evelyn Keyes spend seven years lamenting Eurocentric western beauty standards (story told in real time)
The Béchamel Test
Genre – Obscure cinematic thought-experiment that is only passed if two characters wrestle in cheese sauce
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the title of the sequel to Ghostbusters?
2. How many Sherlock Holmes films has Guy Ritchie directed to date?
3. The Founder, starring Michael Keaton, is the story of which fast food chain?
4. Who played the title role in the 2016 biopic Jackie?
5. Who directed The Passion Of The Christ?
6. What was the title of the first feature length Wallace & Gromit film?
WALLACE & GROMIT: THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT
7. What We Do In The Shadows is set in which country?
8. What is the name of the prince in Sleeping Beauty?
9. What is the title of the first film in Edgar Wright’s Cornetto trilogy?
SHAUN OF THE DEAD
10. In James And The Giant Peach, how many creatures are on the peach with James?
SIX (Grasshopper, centipede, ladybird, spider, earthworm, glow-worm)
ROUND II: Filming [Bechdel Test Special]
1. What is the title of the sequel to Guardians Of The Galaxy? Guardians Of The Galaxy 2? Guardians Of The Galaxy Part 2? Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2?
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL 2
2. What is the name of the lead character in Starship Troopers? Patrick Muldoon? Carl Jenkins? Johnny Rico?
3. Who directed Thelma & Louise? Tim Robbins? Kathryn Bigelow? Ridley Scott?
4. Who plays the role of Thomas’ former prima ballerina in Black Swan? Winona Ryder? Jennifer Connelly? Evan Rachel Wood?
5. The following quote is from which film, “Paulie might’ve moved slow but it was only because Paulie didn’t have to move for anybody”? Donnie Brasco? Black Mass? Goodfellas?
6. Who directed Melancholia? Nicolas Winding Refn? Lars Von Trier? Michael Haneke?
LARS VON TRIER
7. Pan’s Labyrinth is set in which year? 1936? 1944? 1952?
8. Todd Haynes’ Carol is an adaptation of which Patricia Highsmith novel? Deep Water? The Cry Of The Owl? The Price Of Salt?
THE PRICE OF SALT
9. Which of the following statements did not appear on the poster for 1953’s How To Marry A Millionaire (starring Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable and Lauren Bacall)? The most glamourous entertainment of your lifetime? You see it without glasses? Who knew these three would get along?
WHO KNEW THESE THREE WOULD GET ALONG
10. Persepolis is entirely animated in black and white except for scenes set in the present. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The story of Steve Jobs, starring Michael Fassbender in the title role, takes place over how many launch events?
2. What is the title of the 1987 adaptation of Cyrano De Bergerac starring Steve Martin?
3. Ace Ventura is based in which US state?
4. What is Matilda’s surname in the 1996 film Matilda?
5. What is the title of Ridley Scott’s adaptation of the biblical story of Moses?
EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS
6. Which football team is the central focus in Lexi Alexander’s Green Street?
7. Why does Travis take a job driving a taxi in Taxi Driver?
TO COUNTER HIS INSOMNIA
8. What were the respective titles of the two films about Truman Capote released in 2006? (one point per correct answer)
CAPOTE / INFAMOUS
9. Who directed American Hustle?
DAVID O RUSSELL
10. Creed was released in which year?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. In the 1991 film The Hard Way, why is Michael J Fox partnered with James Woods? Fox is an actor researching a role and pulls strings to follow an active case? Fox is an Internal Affairs agent going undercover exposing a crooked cop played by Woods? Fox and Woods are detectives who are partnered up when they learn they are step-siblings?
FOX IS AN ACTOR RESEARCHING A ROLE AND PULLS STRINGS TO FOLLOW AN ACTIVE CASE
2. Who plays Mike and Marcus’ captain in Bad Boys? Alfred Molina? Robert Davi? Joe Pantoliano?
3. What did Jon Favreau direct in between Cowboys & Aliens and The Jungle Book? Chef? The Judge? The Soloist?
4. Which of the following did not appear in the 2008 period drama, The Duchess? Dominic Cooper? Ralph Fiennes? Paul Bettany?
5. What is the title of the Australian Western starring Tom Selleck and Alan Rickman? The Outback? Guns And Kangaroos? Quigley Down Under?
QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER
6. The Blues Brothers was released in which year? 1975? 1980? 1985?
7. Who directed Cars? Andrew Stanton? Brad Bird? John Lasseter?
8. Which of the following is not a Transformers subtitle? Age Of Extinction? Rise Of The Fallen? Dark Of The Moon?
RISE OF THE FALLEN
9. 2015’s Room was co-produced by US, UK and which two other countries? Canada and Ireland? New Zealand and France? South Africa and Poland?
CANADA AND IRELAND
10. Gods Of Egypt features no Egyptian cast members. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Oliver & Company / Hocus Pocus / Get Shorty / Fantasia 2000
Poster: The Women
Actor: Bette Midler