[25 February 2018]
Ice Babe: Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apeosaurs
Genre – Babe, Sid, Manfred, Diego and Scrat go to a dimension of ape/dinosaur hybrids, where Scrat establishes an acorn colony
Anthea Turner Does Hooch
Genre – Ex TV presenter gets pissed on alcopops
Bambi Shot First
Genre – Disney’s new live-action classic, where Bambi shoots the hunter in this George Lucas special edition
Genre – Nuclear weapon testing creates Godzilla’s ultimate foe; Babe
Ladies And The Tramps; Socialite Soup Kitchen
Genre – Documentary
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. 2004’s Flight Of The Phoenix is a remake of which 1965 film?
FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
2. How many Mission: Impossible films have been made to date (including the upcoming Fallout)
3. Norman Bates and Marion Crane are the lead characters in which film?
4. Who played the lead roles in Face/Off? (one point per correct answer)
JOHN TRAVOLTA / NICOLAS CAGE
5. The planet Jakku features heavily in which science fiction film?
STAR WARS: EPISODE VII – THE FORCE AWAKENS
6. Sonny is a blue-eyed sentient robot accused of murder in which film?
7. The roles of Jim Lovell, Andrew Beckett, Captain John Miller, Robert Langdon and Santa Claus were all played by which actor? [bonus points for naming the films the characters appear in]
TOM HANKS [Apollo 13 / Philadelphia / Saving Private Ryan / The Da Vinci Code / The Polar Express]
8. Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman appeared together in which film?
9. Planet Of The Apes was released in which year?
10. What is the name of the high school based adaptation of Taming Of The Shrew starring Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles and Joseph Gordon-Levitt?
10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU
ROUND II: Filming [Animal Leads Special]
1. What type of animals are the centre focus of Happy Feet? Velociraptors? Kangaroos? Penguins?
2. Finding Nemo was released in which year? 2000? 2003? 2006?
3. Who voiced the role of Charlotte in 2006’s Charlotte’s Web? Sandra Bullock? Julia Roberts? Cate Blanchett?
4. How many Madagascar films (including spin-offs) have been made to date? 3? 4? 5?
5. Who co-wrote the script for Beethoven with Amy Holden Jones? John Hughes? Harold Ramis? George Lucas?
6. Which of the following has not appeared in a King Kong film? Jeff Bridges? Christopher Plummer? Colin Hanks?
7. Who is Old Blue’s owner at the start of Air Bud? A test pilot? An alcoholic clown? A blind geologist?
AN ALCOHOLIC CLOWN
8. Which Disney film had the two poster taglines of “The famous book of the month becomes the picture of the year” and “A great love story in multiplane technicolour”? Robin Hood? The Fox And The Hound? Bambi?
9. Jason Alexander, Faye Dunaway, Rupert Everett, Glen Shadix and Paul Reubens appeared in which film? Flipper? Dunston Checks In? Andre?
DUNSTON CHECKS IN
10. Babe was nominated for Best Picture at the 1996 Oscars. True or False?
TRUE (along with best director, best adapted screenplay, best actor, best art direction, best editing and best visual effects [which it won])
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Thomas Gabriel is the name of the villain in which Die Hard film?
DIE HARD 4.0 / LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD
2. Who directed The Lovely Bones?
3. The following is a quote from which film, “What, we’ll have a coupon day or something”?
4. Which film won Best Picture at the 72nd Academy Awards (held in 2000)?
5. How many children does Miles Dyson have in Terminator 2?
6. What animal does Al McWhiggin dress as in the advert for Al’s Toy Barn in Toy Story 2?
7. Which Middle Earth film made the most at the box office (unadjusted worldwide gross)?
LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING ($1.1 billion dollars) [H1 $1b / H2 $958m / H3 $956m / L2 £923m / L1 $869m]
8. Which superhero does Bill talk about when describing Beatrix in Kill Bill Vol. 2?
9. What two colours are the VW van in Little Miss Sunshine? (point only awarded if both colours identified)
YELLOW / WHITE
10. While not said in the film, what is the name of Paul McGann’s character in Withnail & I?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following is not a character in 2001’s Zoolander? Maury Ballstein? Nigel Kipling? Jacobim Mugatu?
2. The following is a quote from which film, “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship”? The Great Escape? Oliver! The Musical? Casablanca?
3. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “The man, the music, the madness, the murder, the motion picture”? All Eyez On Me? Chapter 27? Amadeus?
4. Pedro Almodovar’s The Skin I Live In was release in which year? 2005? 2011? 2016?
5. Which 2008 British film is based on the allegedly true story of MI5 contracting criminals to recover risqué photos? Sleeping Dogs? The Getaway? The Bank Job?
THE BANK JOB
6. The following quote is from which film, “I grew up in a tough neighbourhood. We used to say, you can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word”? The Departed? The Untouchables? Carlito’s Way?
7. In Amelie, what event causes Amelie to discover the old metal box hidden behind a tile in her flat? The 1996 Paris Metro bombing? The death of Princess Diana? The hijacking of Air France Flight 8969?
THE DEATH OF PRINCESS DIANA
8. What was the budget for 1978’s Grease? $500 thousand? $2 million? $6 million?
SIX MILLION DOLLARS
9. Brazil was nominated for two Oscars, which of the following was not one of them? Best Editing? Best Art Direction? Best Writing?
10. Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey was originally titled Bill & Ted’s Excellent Afterlife. True or False?
FALSE (it was originally titled Bill & Ted’s Go To Hell)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: The Piano / Sunshine / The Fountain / Training Day
Poster: Bringing Out The Dead
Actor: Cliff Curtis