[17 January 2016]
The Pirates! In A Fantastic Adventure With Coraline’s Bride Before Christmas!
Genre – A seasonal maritime comedy
Jurassic Park & Ride
Genre – Paleolithic motorsports flick
Stop (Death) Potion
Genre – You said you had one Snape, why didn’t you use it?
In Mourning For Grizzly Adams
Genre – Tragedy
Fantastic Mr Cocks
Genre – Lars Von Trier’s adaptation of Roald Dahl’s much loved children’s classic
Genre – Horror comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The 1997 film The Saint, starring Val Kilmer, is an adaptation of which television series?
2. What type of animal is Kong in the various King Kong films?
3. How many Rocky films have been made to date (including Creed)?
4. Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock first starred alongside each other in which film?
5. Who directed Unbreakable, Lady In The Water and After Earth?
M NIGHT SHYAMALAN
6. In Mrs. Brown Judi Dench portrayed which British monarch?
7. What is the name of the lead character in Jurassic Park?
8. Who played the role of Marie Antoinette in Sofia Coppola’s 2006 film of the same name?
9. Cold Mountain, Days Of Thunder, Moulin Rouge and The Golden Compass starred which actress?
10. Princess Aurora is the central character in which Disney animated film?
ROUND II: Filming [Stop Motion Animation special]
1. James And The Giant Peach is based on the book of the same name by which author? Charles Dickens? Michael Morpurgo? Roald Dahl?
2. Who played the role of Rocky in Chicken Run? Hugh Jackman? Mel Gibson? George Clooney?
3. What is the name of the title character in Corpse Bride? Victoria? Emily? Nell?
4. What is Jack Skellington’s title in The Nightmare Before Christmas? The Duke Of Death? The Lord Of Halloween? The Pumpkin King?
THE PUMPKIN KING
5. What animal is Clive, voiced by Bill Murray in Fantastic Mr Fox? Otter? Rabbit? Badger?
6. Coraline was released in which year? 2005? 2007? 2009?
7. Which film featured Anna Kendrick, Casey Affleck and Bernard Hill? ParaNorman? Frankenweenie? Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit?
8. Which of the following films does not feature a stop-motion sequence? Star Wars? The Terminator? Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part I?
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS – PART I
9. Which of the following is not a character in The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists? Pirate Pirate? Pirate Who Likes Sunsets And Kittens? Pirate With A Scarf?
10. Unlike most voice recording sessions, the principal cast for The Boxtrolls recorded their lines in the same room. True or False?
FALSE (all the actors recorded their own lines separately, to the extent that Simon Pegg and Nick Frost didn’t realise they were both working on the same film)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. How many Night Of The Living Dead films have been made to date (specifically those written and directed by George A Romero)?
SIX (Night, Dawn, Day, Land, Diary, Survival)
2. Which film stars Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church as an English teacher and TV actor going on a pre-wedding road trip?
3. Which word is repeated by Vizzini throughout The Princess Bride?
4. At the start of The Blues Brothers, Jake Blues is released from prison after serving three years for what crime?
5. The chapter entitled “Face To Face” takes place in which volume of Kill Bill?
6. In The Hunger Games, each district farms a specific resource, what is District 12’s main export?
7. The Furious Five are a group of Kung Fu masters in which film?
KUNG FU PANDA
8. Who directed 1958’s Touch Of Evil?
9. The following quote is from which film, “Either you are deliberately out of tune and sabotaging my band, or you don’t know you’re out of tune and that’s even worse”?
10. David St Hubbins, Nigel Tufnel and Derek Smalls are all characters in which film?
THIS IS SPINAL TAP
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. The Last Of The Mohicans was released in which year? 1990? 1992? 1994?
2. Which Akira Kurosawa film is the story of a terminally ill man who finds a new lease on life when he meets a free-spirited young woman? Ikiru? One Wonderful Sunday? Red Beard?
3. Which of the following did not appear in Mystic River? Laurence Fishburne? Eli Wallach? Ryan Phillippe?
4. Where does Noah first meet Allie in The Notebook? An army hospital? A church? A carnival?
5. In The Sound Of Music, Christopher Plummer plays retired military officer Captain Georg Von Trapp. Which military branch did he serve in? Air Force? Navy? Army?
6. The following quote is said by Robert De Niro in which film, “Let me tell you, I know you don’t want to listen to your father, I didn’t listen to mine and I’m telling you, you gotta pay attention to the signs. When life reaches out with a moment like this, it’s a sin if you don’t reach back”? Silver Linings Playbook? Analyse This? Meet The Fockers?
SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK
7. In addition to the 2020’s, X-Men: Days Of Future Past takes place in which decade? Sixties? Seventies? Eighties?
8. Alec Guinness, Claude Rains and Anthony Quinn all appeared in which film? The Fall Of The Roman Empire? The Guns Of Navarone? Lawrence Of Arabia?
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
9. After his mutiny, who does Aguirre nominate as new leader of the expedition in Aguirre, The Wrath Of God? Pizarro? Guzman? Perucho?
10. While filming Amadeus, Tom Hulce deliberately skipped lines in order to confuse F Murray Abraham and make it appear as though his character couldn’t understand the music. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: The Green Hornet / Django Unchained / The Three Musketeers
Poster: Ordinary Decent Criminal
Actor: Christoph Waltz