[02 August 2015]
Genre – A trip through Lester Burnham’s dreams of Keyser Soze, deadly viruses, cheerleaders, LA and congress
Central American Beauty And The Beast
Genre – Dark romantic drama starring Danny Trejo and Salma Hayek
Team America: Mission Beauty
Genre – Action movie with puppets where Annette Benning becomes an NSA assassin
Genre – Animation
Genre – Thriller
A Merry Gran’s Booty
Genre – While babysitting a grandmother has a few too many sherrys and reveals her hidden treasures
Winnings Impossible 4: Any Point Is A Bonus
Genre – Comedy
Genre – The Norwich revolution comes together to quiz to the death!
Rebels Without A Clue
Genre – Black humour
Genre – Seeking a way out of a midlife crisis, Kevin Spacey takes to a life of crime on the high seas with bootylicious first mate Nicki Minaj
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “If you’ve got a taste for terror, take Carrie to the prom”?
2. How many Back To The Future films have been released to date?
3. Patrick Swayze appeared in Steel Dawn and which other 1987 film?
4. Who played the lead role in From Dusk Til Dawn?
5. The following quote is from which film, “No, not show you. Show me the money”?
6. How many daughters does Gru have in Despicable Me?
7. How many films did Peter Jackson direct in between The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
TWO (King Kong / The Lovely Bones)
8. Kick Ass takes place in which city?
9. King Creole and Blue Hawaii starred which musician?
10. In Minority Report, details about the pre-crimes are printed on what?
ROUND II: Filming [American Beauty Special]
1. In American Beauty, what does Ricky claim to be the most beautiful imagery he’s filmed? A plastic bag in the wind? A dead bird? His neighbour undressing?
A PLASTIC BAG IN THE WIND
2. American Beauty was released in which year? 1998? 1999? 2000?
3. What was American Beauty’s budget? 5 million dollars? 10 million dollars? 15 million dollars?
FIFTEEN MILLION DOLLARS
4. Who composed the score for American Beauty? Thomas Newman? James Newton Howard? Howard Shore?
5. Which vegetable does Lester continually ask be passed to him before throwing the plate at the wall? Asparagus? Mange Tout? Potatoes?
6. What letter is printed on the cheerleader’s outfits? H? S? V?
7. What rank did Frank Fitts (Chris Cooper) hold in the marines? Colonel? Corporal? Commander?
8. When being shot what is the first memory Lester describes seeing? The first time he saw his cousin Tony’s brand new firebird? The yellow leaves from the maple trees that line his street? Lying on his back at Boy Scout camp watching the stars?
LYING ON HIS BACK AT BOY SCOUT CAMP WATCHING THE STARS
9. How does Lester respond when Angela asks “How are you” toward the end of the film? I’ve been better? I don’t know? I’m great?
10. Several of American Beauty’s character names are references and anagrams to characters in Lolita. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Put the following Hitchcock titles in the correct order of release: Dial M For Murder, Rebecca, Rope.
REBECCA (1940) / ROPE (1948) / DIAL M FOR MURDER (1954)
2. In Prometheus, the character David has a letter as part of his designed fingerprint, what is that letter?
3. Which actor appeared in The Fox And The Hound, Backdraft and Furious 7?
4. Brad Bird directed which two Pixar films? (one point per correct answer)
THE INCREDIBLES / RATATOUILLE
5. The following poster tagline is from which film, “You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies”?
THE SOCIAL NETWORK
6. Which film did Danny DeVito direct and appear in, in 1996?
7. Robert Fischer, Mr Saito and Dom Cobb are characters in which film?
8. The following quote is from which film, “There are a lot of long words in there, Miss. We’re naught but humble pirates”?
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
9. Which film starred Lance Hendrickson, Dennis Hopper and Bob Hoskins?
SUPER MARIO BROS
10. Which actor made her debut in Superbad and most recently starred in Woody Allen’s Irrational Man?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which actress said, “Why don’t you come up sometime and see me?” in She Done Him Wrong? Mae West? Jean Harlow? Marlene Dietrich?
2. Which studio distributed Species, The Terminator, Logan’s Run and Hot Tub Time Machine? Warner Bros? MGM? Universal?
3. Which of the following made the most money at the box office? ET? Aladdin? Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs?
ICE AGE: DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS (Ice Age $886mil, ET $790mil, Aladdin $504mil)
4. What is the name of Derek Zoolander’s rival in Zoolander? Hansel McDonald? Maury Ballstein? JP Prewett?
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger played the role of Jericho Cane in which film? Raw Deal? End Of Days? The Expendables?
END OF DAYS
6. Bullitt was released in which year? 1961? 1965? 1968?
7. In Boyz N The Hood, Doughboy (portrayed by Ice Cube) is a member of which gang? Rollin 60s Crips? Crenshaw Mafia Bloods? Pirus Street Family?
ROLLIN 60S CRIPS
8. What was the name of the titular dragon in Pete’s Dragon? Lampie? Elliott? Merle?
9. 1986’s The Mission is set in which continent? Asia? Africa? South America?
10. In The Graduate, none of the adult characters are identified by their first names (unlike the younger cast). True or False?
TRUE (to accentuate the generation gap)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Magic Mike / 21 Jump Street / The Book Of Life
Poster: The Eagle
Actor: Channing Tatum