[22 June 2014]
Genre – A doggie sports comedy
Genre – A director has to justify his beery reasons for his cast, which includes Jodie Foster, David Tennant and Alec Guinness. Music by the Coors
The Beer Hunter
Genre – James Hetfield mistakes a Norfolk beer festival for a bear hunt with humorous and disastrous results
Genre – Man with beer goggles sees all kinds of crazy shit whilst overlooking a pub
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. To Kill A Mockingbird was adapted from which book by Harper Lee?
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
2. What was the title of Quentin Tarantino’s directorial debut?
RESERVOIR DOGS (arguably My Best Friend’s Birthday)
3. Which 1992 film starred Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone?
4. City Lights, Modern Times and The Kid all starred which actor?
5. What is the title of the Bourne film that doesn’t star Matt Damon?
THE BOURNE LEGACY
6. The King’s Speech was released in which year?
7. The following quote is from which film, “As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again”?
GONE WITH THE WIND
8. Who starred in the lead role in Arachnophobia?
9. Despite a few cameo appearances, the city of Minas Tirith plays a central part in which Lord Of The Rings film?
THE RETURN OF THE KING
10. What type of creature is Pascal in Disney’s Tangled?
ROUND II: Filming [Films in which beer is drunk]
1. What was the first film in Edgar Wright’s Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy? Shaun Of The Dead? Hot Fuzz? The World’s End?
SHAUN OF THE DEAD
2. What is Captain America’s real name? Clint Barton? Steve Rogers? Donald Blake?
3. Who directed the 2009 film Flight? Spike Lee? Edward Zwick? Robert Zemeckis?
4. What does James Cagney push into Mae Clarke’s face in The Public Enemy? Orange? Grapefruit? Lemon?
5. What was the main poster tagline for E.T. The Extra Terrestrial? His adventure on Earth? Our first visitor? An intergalactic friendship?
HIS ADVENTURE ON EARTH
6. In one of the worst examples of product placement, in he Deer Hunter, Robert De Niro says, “I’ll get you a [brand]. It’s a good beer, it’s the best around.” What was the brand of beer? Rolling Rock? Lone Star? Coors Original?
7. Ice Cold In Alex was made in which year? 1951? 1958? 1963?
8. The epilogue for Animal House details what happens to the various students. What is the fate of John Belushi’s character, Bluto? His whereabouts are unknown? He becomes a United States Senator? He becomes a gynaecologist in Beverly Hills?
HE BECOMES A US SENATOR
9. Which of the following Withnail And I quotes comes first, chronologically speaking? Shut up, I’ll deal with this. We’ve gone on holiday by mistake? Look at my tongue, it’s like a great yellow sock? I don’t advise a haircut man, all hairdressers are in the employment of the government?
LOOK AT MY TONGUE, IT’S LIKE A GREAT YELLOW SOCK
10. Before Josh Brolin was brought in, Christian Bale was cast to play George W. Bush in Oliver Stone’s W. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What was the title of the Ivan Reitman film that featured David Duchovny and Julianne Moore?
2. George Clooney received top billing in Ocean’s Eleven, where did Brad Pitt appear (I.e. second, third, etc)?
FOURTH BILLING (behind Matt Damon and Andy Garcia)
3. What was the title of the 1976 body-swap film starring Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster?
4. After Lester is laid off, in American Beauty, he takes a job in which type of business? [bonus point for the company name]
FAST FOOD [Mr. Smiley’s]
5. In Lawrence Of Arabia, when T.E. Lawrence is dispatched to the Arab Bureau, which country is Prince Faisal fighting against?
TURKEY (Ottoman Empire)
6. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire usually consists of fifteen questions, how many are detailed in Slumdog Millionaire?
7. How many times have John and Joan Cusack appeared on-screen together?
TEN (Sixteen Candles, Grandview USA, Broadcast News, Say Anything, Grosse Pointe Blank, Cradle Will Rock, High Fidelity, Martian Child, War Inc)
8. Who played the lead roles in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? (one point per correct answer)
STEVE MARTIN / MICHAEL CAINE
9. How many tunnels are simultaneously dug in The Great Escape?
10. The following songs are from which film: No Place Like London, My Friends, Epiphany and A Little Priest?
SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which character is the second to die in Alien? Brett? Parker? Lambert?
2. The Big Sleep was released in which year? 1946? 1949? 1951?
3. What is the name of Leonardo DiCaprio’s character in The Departed? Colin Sullivan? Billy Costigan? Sean Dignam?
4. Nicolas Cage won his Oscar for his role in which film? Raising Arizona? Adaptation? Leaving Las Vegas?
LEAVING LAS VEGAS
5. In The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Henrick asks Blomkvist to investigate the disappearance and assumed murder of his niece, how many years ago? 20? 30? 40?
6. How many families make up the New York syndicate in The Godfather? Four? Five? Six?
FIVE (Corleones, Tattaglias, Barzinis, Cuneos, Straccis)
7. In Memento, one of Leonard’s only clues to his wife’s killer’s identity is the name John followed by which letter? T? D? G?
8. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “No Law, No Rules, No Order”? Miami Vice? Bad Boys II? American Gangster?
9. How many years has The Truman Show been on air, when Truman Burbank starts to get suspicious? 30? 35? 40?
10. Fritz Lang paid for H. G. Wells to travel to Germany to assist with the scripting of the 1927 silent film, Metropolis. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Hook / Rain Man / All The President’s Men
Poster: I Heart Huckabees
Actor: Dustin Hoffman