[02 February 2014]
The Leone, The Witch And The Wardrobe Full Of Dollars
Genre – Children’s western
Genre – Former flamboyant Changing Rooms star sings songs, steals cats and wins awards fabulously
Leone Fools And Horses
Genre – Once upon a time in Peckham
The Good, The Bad & The Groundhog
Genre – Groundhog day special
The Colostomy Of Rhodes
Genre – Medical drama: Gary Rhodes can no longer control his bladder and so is fitted out with a colostomy bag
A Fistful Of Answers
Genre – Spaghetti eastern with Mexican standoff and a mysterious moustached man
A Fistful Of Collars
Genre – Cat western
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Where was the premiere for Michael Bay’s Pearl Harbor held?
2. Who voiced the title role in Spielberg’s The Adventures Of Tintin?
3. Who composed the score for Jaws?
4. What was the subtitle to the first Hobbit movie?
AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY
5. What colour are the Oompa Loompa’s skin in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory?
6. The song When You Wish Upon A Star is from which Disney animated film?
7. What is the name of Daniel’s mentor in The Karate Kid?
8. Who directed The Fifth Element?
9. What was the title of the fourth James Bond film?
10. In what year was the original Gone In 60 Seconds released?
ROUND II: Filming [Sergio Leone special]
1. Which is the first title in the dollar trilogy? A Fistful Of Dollars? For A Few Dollars More? The Good, The Bad And The Ugly?
A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS
2. David Aaronson (played by Robert DeNiro) goes by what nickname in Once Upon A Time In America? Bugs? Spats? Noodles?
3. What is the last line in A Fistful Of Dynamite? Duck, you sucker? If you shoot me, they will have to change all the maps? What about me?
WHAT ABOUT ME?
4. How is Douglas Mortimer related to the girl in the picture in the musical pocket-watch in For A Few Dollars More? Father? Brother? Uncle?
5. Who was Leone describing when he said, “As an actor, he has two expressions: with and without the hat”? Lee Van Cleef? Clint Eastwood? Henry Fonda?
6. How did Sergio Leone get the job of director on his first release, The Last Days Of Pompeii? The original director fell ill on the first day of shooting? The original director was forced off the set by the cast on the first day of shooting? The original director quit to direct another movie on the first day of shooting?
THE ORIGINAL DIRECTOR FELL ILL ON THE FIRST DAY OF SHOOTING
7. What is the name of the fictional town in Once Upon A Time In The West? San Miguel? Tucumcari? Flagstone?
8. The titular statue in The Colossus Of Rhodes is modelled after which Greek god? Ares? Apollo? Athena?
9. Ennio Morricone’s two note motif (waa waa waa), in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, is played differently for each title character. Which of the following was used for Blondie? Flute? Ocarina? Human Vocals?
FLUTE (Ocarina for Angel Eyes, Vocals for Tuco)
10. Leone was assistant director on Ben-Hur. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What was the name of the Ed Norton directed film, in which Ed Norton plays a priest and Ben Stiller plays a rabbi?
KEEPING THE FAITH
2. Which quote is synonymous with the 1988 Meryl Streep movie A Cry In The Dark (or Evil Angels, as it was originally called)?
THE DINGO’S GOT MY BABY
3. Kiki’s Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke and Tales From Earthsea were all produced by which Japanese studio?
4. What is Roy Walker’s profession in 2006’s The Fall?
5. The following quote is from which Oliver Stone film, “I think most of us in this courtroom thought justice came automatically. That virtue was its own reward. That good triumphs over evil. But as we get older, we know this isn’t true”?
6. What are the names of the four lead characters in Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels? (one point per correct answer)
EDDY / TOM / SOAP / BACON
7. While stalking Clarice Starling through the basement, in The Silence Of The Lambs, what gives Jame Gumb’s position away?
COCKING HIS REVOLVER
8. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “Stealing, cheating, killing. Who says romance is dead”?
9. The three characters who attempt to rob the First Brooklyn Savings Bank, in Dog Day Afternoon, all share the same first initial. What is it?
S (Sonny, Sal and Stevie)
10. How does Leon refer to his job as a hitman, in Leon?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Who starred in Cleopatra, Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf and Nineteen Eighty-Four? Peter Ustinov? Richard Burton? Laurence Olivier?
2. Which of the following was not directed by John Hughes? Uncle Buck? Ferris Bueller’s Day Off? Pretty In Pink?
PRETTY IN PINK
3. The following quote is from which version of King Kong, “I’m going out to make the greatest picture in the world, something that nobody’s ever seen or heard of. They’ll have to think up a lot of new adjectives when I come back”? 1933? 1976? 2005?
4. What is the name of the militant immigrant’s rights group in Children Of Men? The Fishes? The Monkeys? The Dogs?
5. Which of the following was the first film for which Peter Sarsgaard received top billing? Kinsey? An Education? Jarhead?
6. Humphrey Bogart was born in 1899. What year did he die? 1957? 1959? 1961?
7. Nicholas Angel and Danny Butterman are the two lead characters in which film? Hot Fuzz? Brassed Off? The Boat That Rocked?
8. How old is John Connor supposed to be in Terminator 2? 10? 12? 14?
TEN YEARS OLD
9. Which of the following films was not directed by Akira Kurosawa? The Lower Depths? The Only Son? Red Beard?
THE ONLY SON (directed by Yasujiro Ozu)
10. Before Jude Law was cast as Watson in 2009’s Sherlock Holmes, Colin Farrell was the front-runner to play the role. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: The Shining / Mars Attacks! / Anger Management
Poster: The Royal Tenenbaums
Actor: James Woods