[24 March 2013]
Genre – Erotic smuggling western
In Space, No One Can Hear Your Team Name
Genre – Silent Film
Robot Anne Frank
Genre – Hasta la vista, Nazis!
Tango In Space
Genre – Unclassifiable
Genre – Teen-slasher space film
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What was the title of the 1984 Tom Hanks comedy about a young man’s bachelor party?
2. What type of animal is the title character in the movie Babe?
3. Which two actors play the lead roles in the movie Bad Boys? (one point per correct answer)
WILL SMITH / MARTIN LAWRENCE
4. Hill Valley is the fictional setting for which film series? [bonus point for naming the US state it’s in]
BACK TO THE FUTURE [California]
5. How many movies based on the character Mr. Bean have been released to date?
TWO (Bean / Mr. Bean’s Holiday)
6. Who received top billing on the 1989 poster for Batman, Michael Keaton or Jack Nicholson?
7. Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Gael Garcia Bernal and Rinko Kikuchi all appeared in which film?
8. Which film starred Harvey Keitel in the 1992 original and Nicolas Cage in the 2009 sequel?
9. Which Stanley Kubrick film featured the characters Redmond Barry, Lady Lyndon and Captain Potzdorf?
10. 1968’s Barbarella was a co-production between which two European countries? (one point per correct answer)
FRANCE / ITALY
ROUND II: Filming [Films set on a spaceship Special]
1. What do the crew of the Palomino encounter in 1979’s Black Hole? Alien life? An abandoned colony? A black hole?
A BLACK HOLE
2. Who voiced the lead role of Cale Tucker in the animated film, Titan AE? Jeremy Renner? Matt Damon? Ben Affleck?
3. In Galaxy Quest, Tim Allen plays television actor Jason Nesmith. What is the name of his character on the fictional show? Peter Taggart? Alexander Dane? Tommy Webber?
4. How many crew members are aboard the Nostromo, in Alien? Seven? Nine? Eleven?
5. Who directed 2007’s Sunshine? Shane Meadows? Danny Boyle? Michael Winterbottom?
6. Of the following three actors, which plays the Apollo 13 character who does not get to go into space? Kevin Bacon? Bill Paxton? Gary Sinise?
7. The Star Trek villain Nero is a member of which fictional race? Vulcans? Klingons? Romulans?
8. How many of the original crew do not make it to the end of the film in Serenity? One? Two? Three?
9. According to DJ’s translation in Event Horizon, what does ‘Liberate tutame ex infernis’ mean? Save yourself from hell? Save me from damnation? Save us from burning? [bonus point for naming the actor who portrayed DJ]
SAVE YOURSELF FROM HELL [Jason Isaacs]
10. Excluding the model shots, 2001: A Space Odyssey was shot in five days. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Disney’s Bedknobs And Broomsticks was released in what year?
2. What are the three aliases of the lead character in Kill Bill (excluding Mum and Jane Doe)? (one point per correct answer)
THE BRIDE / BLACK MAMBA / BEATRIX KIDDO
3. Martin Brest, Tony Scott and John Landis were the respective directors of which trilogy?
BEVERLY HILLS COP
4. How many Disney animated classics were released during World War II (1939-1945)? [bonus points for naming the films]
THREE [Pinocchio / Dumbo / Bambi]
5. How many times has Brewster’s Millions been made?
FIVE (1914 / 1921 / 1935 / 1945 / 1985)
6. Steve Buscemi’s character in Big Daddy continually shows up demanding food from which fast food outlet?
7. What was Jamie Bell’s feature debut?
8. What did Ridley Scott direct after Alien?
9. What is Lebowski’s first name in The Big Lebowski?
10. The criminal, the athlete, the brain, the princess and the basket case are five aliases for the lead characters in which film?
THE BREAKFAST CLUB
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was the title of the last film to feature both Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi? The Body Snatcher? The Raven? Black Friday?
THE BODY SNATCHER
2. What is the serial killer’s signature trait in The Bone Collector? He kills people with bones? A single shard of bone is removed? He brands his victim’s bones?
A SINGLE SHARD OF BONE IS REMOVED
3. Of the five appliances in The Brave Little Toaster, only one of them has a name that isn’t simply a play on what they are (ie. Lampy the lamp, Blanky the blanket). What is the hoover’s name? Thurman? Walter? Kirby?
KIRBY (named after the Kirby Dual Sanitronic 80)
4. How do Alec and Laura meet in Brief Encounter? He removes grit from her eye? He stops her from falling onto train tracks? They accidentally pick up each other’s luggage?
HE REMOVES GRIT FROM HER EYE
5. What are Elvis’ last words in Bubba Ho-Tep? Elvis is leaving the building? Thank you, thank you very much? Oh my?
THANK YOU, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
6. Black Hawk Down is set in which year? 1988? 1993? 2000?
7. What is the nickname given to Bruce after he reports on events he is in fact causing, in Bruce Almighty? Mr. Scoop? Mr. Headline? Mr. Exclusive?
8. What is the name of the Union Pacific Railroad employee encountered multiple times by Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid in the film of the same name? Woodcock? Garris? Logan?
9. Which of the following is not a poster tagline for Ben Hur? The entertainment experience of a lifetime? The greatest story ever told? A tale of the Christ?
THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD
10. In 1972 the marketing department at American International Pictures insisted on including references to slavery on the posters for Blacula, to “ensure African American audiences would be interested.” True or False?
TRUE (it went on to become one of the highest earners of 1972)
BOUND IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Gangs Of New York / Green Lantern / Gladiator
Poster: Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner
Actor: George Takei