[23 September 2012]
Fudge Bread 3D
Genre – It’s probably delicious.. and chewy
Dawn Of The Dredd
Genre – Romero and Snyder team up in Dredd/Zombie crossover
A Doodlebug’s Life
Genre – Harrowing, animated bug-based wartime drama
Birth Of A Vertical Integration
Genre – The rise and fall of Hollywood in cinemascope and technicolor
At The Waterfront
Genre – We could have been a contender (for best team name)
Wake Me Up Before You Vertigo Go
Genre – N/A
Genre – Period action drama
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Roland Emmerich’s 2012 is set in which year?
2. How many Harry Potter films were released in total?
3. Ted, Fozzie and Baloo are all what type of animal?
4. Which musical adapted from Charles Dickens’ novel won the Oscar for best picture in 1968?
5. What is the name of Captain Jack Sparrow’ ship in the Pirates Of The Caribbean series?
THE BLACK PEARL
6. Who played Popeye in the 1980 live-action film?
7. What year was P.J. Hogan’s live-action Peter Pan film released?
8. Which member of Cliffhanger’s cast also received a writing credit?
9. Which individual directed the top two highest grossing films to date? [bonus point for naming the director of the third]
JAMES CAMERON [Joss Whedon]
10. Mel Brooks directed three films in the nineties, the first was Life Stinks, what were the other two? (one point per correct answer)
ROBIN HOOD: MEN IN TIGHTS / DRACULA: DEAD AND LOVING IT
ROUND II: Filming [40’s/50’s Special]
1. How was Marilyn Monroe’s character in The Seven Year Itch credited? The girl? Some dame? Marilyn obviously?
2. Who plays the title role in Father Of The Bride? William Holden? Dean Martin? Spencer Tracy?
3. Two films titled Julius Caesar were released in the fifties, which of the following actors did not play Mark Anthony? Marlon Brando? Charlton Heston? Richard Burton?
4. What is Sergeant York’s first name, in Sergeant York? Buck? Alvin? Bert? [bonus point for naming the actor who played him]
ALVIN [Gary Cooper]
5. Mildred Pierce was distributed by which studio? Paramount? Warner Brothers? MGM?
6. What was the top grossing film of 1943? This Is The Army? For Whom The Bell Tolls? Casablanca?
THIS IS THE ARMY
7. What was the title of the 1947 film that starred Robert Young, Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan? Crossfire? The Bishop’s Wife? Road To Rio?
8. Rock Hudson plays the role of Jordan Benedict in Giant. What is Benedict’s nickname? Jett? Benny? Bick?
9. What reason did Paul Newman give for turning down the lead role in Ben-Hur? It belittled Christianity? He didn’t have the legs for a tunic? He thought the script was boring?
HE DIDN’T HAVE THE LEGS FOR A TUNIC (the other reasons were given by Burt Lancaster)
10. Vivien Leigh had bi-polar disorder and as such, had problems separating her life from that of Blanche DuBois in A Streetcar Named Desire. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. At the start of Ghostbusters II, the title characters have been barred from investigating supernatural occurrences. Winston and Ray are children’s entertainers and Egon works in a University lab. What was Peter doing?
HOSTING TELEVISION SHOW – WORLD OF THE PSYCHIC
2. Orion pictures operated to and from which years (one point per correct answer)
1978 / 1998
3. The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen was made for £47 million dollars. How much did it make at the box office?
EIGHT MILLION DOLLARS
4. 1988’s Vice Versa was an adaptation of the 1882 novel of the same name. How many times has the book been adapted for cinema?
FOUR [1916 / 1937 / 1948 / 1988]
5. Who wrote and directed 1995’s The American President? (one point per correct answer)
AARON SORKIN / ROB REINER
6. Alec Baldwin, James Woods, Donald Sutherland, Ving Rhames and Steve Buscemi all starred in which animated film?
FINAL FANTASY: THE SPIRITS WITHIN
7. The following is a quote from which Mike Nichols film “Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood!”?
8. How many years pass between the release of Bad Boys and Bad Boys II?
9. The inclusion of a painting of Kim Novak and the use of spirals in Run, Lola, Run is an homage to which Hitchcock film?
10. Who starred in the lead role in 1974’s Death Wish?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was the title of Will Ferrell’s first major film appearance? Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery? The Thin Pink Line? Zoolander?
AUSTIN POWERS: INTERNATIONAL MAN OF MYSTERY
2. Who played the role of Gus Gorman in Superman III? Richard Pryor? Robert Vaughn? Jackie Cooper?
3. Who composed the score for Philadelphia? David Arnold? Howard Shore? Thomas Newman?
4. Don Chaffey’s Jason And The Argonauts was released in which year? 1960? 1963? 1966?
5. In 1996 Steven Spielberg purchased which Oscar for It Happened One Night? Best Picture? Leading Actor? Leading Actress?
6. What was the title of Roland Emmerich’s 1992 breakthrough film? Stargate? Moon 44? Universal Soldier?
7. Who/what was Travis Bickle’s original target before shooting up the brothel, in Taxi Driver? A police station? Corner shop owner? A senator?
8. Who directed 1984’s A Passage To India? Milos Forman? Richard Attenborough? David Lean?
9. The following was the poster tagline for which film “They stole his mind. Now he wants it back. Get ready for the ride of your life”? Minority Report? A Scanner Darkly? Total Recall?
10. Whilst preparing for his role in Moscow On The Hudson, Robin Williams learned both Russian and how to play a saxophone to a proficient level. True or False?