[09 September 2012]
The Cob Of Eternal Stench
Genre – Docudrama about Bowie’s frustration at his inability to pass sweetcorn
Space Jam Oddity
Genre – David Bowie and Michael Jordan team up to help Buggs Bunny and Co.
Full Metal Cardigan
Genre – Pixar J-Horror
2001: A Space Oddity
Genre – Sci-Fi Rom-Com
Kal Kara Sephare
Genre – Science Fiction
The Man Who Swelled His Girth
Genre – It’s nothing rude.. really it’s not
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the corpse in Weekend At Bernie’s?
2. Who played the lead role in Never Been Kissed?
3. Who directed The Beach?
4. Moulin Rouge! is set in which city?
5. What is the only colour that features on posters for Trainspotting?
6. Which family member is John Matrix trying to save in Commando? [bonus point for his/her first name]
HIS DAUGHTER [Jenny]
7. What type of animal is Shenzi, in Disney’s The Lion King?
8. Zoltar Speaks is a wishing/fortune telling machine in which 80’s family comedy?
9. I whistle a happy tune, Getting to know you and Song of the king are songs from which 1956 film?
THE KING AND I
10. Excluding The Three Stooges, how many films have the Farrelly Brothers directed?
TEN (Dumb & Dumber / Kingpin / There’s Something About Mary / Me, Myself & Irene / Osmosis Jones / Shallow Hal / Stuck On You / Fever Pitch / The Heartbreak Kid / Hall Pass)
ROUND II: Filming [Bowie Family Special]
1. Which film did Christopher Nolan direct before releasing The Prestige? Batman Begins? Memento? Insomnia?
2. What language does David Bowie speak throughout 1978’s Just A Gigolo? French? German? Spanish? [bonus point: this marked the last screen performance for which prominent actress]
GERMAN [Marlene Dietrich]
3. Who composed the score for Moon? Howard Blake? Philip Glass? Clint Mansell?
4. Who directed The Last Temptation Of Christ? Martin Scorsese? Francis Ford Coppola? Brian De Palma?
5. David Bowie portrayed which artist in Basquiat? Jackson Pollock? Andy Warhol? Saul Raskin?
6. The Man Who Fell To Earth was released in which year? 1959? 1963? 1976?
7. What is the name of the ‘new look’ that Derek reveals at the end of Zoolander? Magnum? Latigra? Blue Steel?
8. What was the title of the Tony Scott film starring David Bowie and Susan Sarandon? Loving Memory? The Hunger? One Of The Missing?
9. Other than Jareth, who is the first character Sarah meets in Labyrinth? Ludo? Sir Didymus? Hoggle?
10. In Source Code, Scott Bakula cameos as Colter Stevens’ father and his first line is “Oh boy.” True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. That Thing You Do! was the directorial debut for which actor?
2. Which Lawrence Olivier film was the first British movie to win the Oscar for best picture?
3. Despite being a commercial flop in the US and UK, Baby’s Day Out stayed in cinemas for a year before finally being remade in which country?
INDIA (remade in 1995 as Sisindri)
4. Which playing card can be seen on most, if not all, of the posters for 1997’s Suicide Kings?
KING OF HEARTS
5. Before Paul Newman was cast as Frank Galvin in The Verdict, which actor was set to play the role?
ROBERT REDFORD (he pulled out after the script couldn’t be reworked to exclude punching a female character in the face)
6. Crysta, Zak, Batty Koda and Hexxus are characters in which animated film?
FERNGULLY: THE LAST RAINFOREST
7. What are the nicknames given to detectives James Doyle and Buddy Russo (played by Gene Hackman and Roy Scheider respectively) in The French Connection? (one point per correct answer)
POPEYE / CLOUDY
8. Despite being filmed in North Carolina, The Last Of The Mohicans is set in which US state?
9. Jean Reno, Jonathan Pryce, Stellan Skarsgard, Sean Bean and Robert De Niro all starred in which film?
10. Alexandria’s parents pick which type of fruit, in The Fall?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was John Huston’s directorial debut? The Maltese Falcon? The Battle Of San Pietro? Key Largo?
THE MALTESE FALCON
2. What is the name given to the angel of death, played by Jessica Lange, in 1979’s All That Jazz? Angelique? Angela? Angelina?
3. Which of the following actors is the only one to request and be turned down for an appearance in Mel Funn’s movie, in Silent Movie? Paul Newman? Burt Reynolds? James Caan?
4. Hello, Dolly! is set in which year? 1870? 1880? 1890?
5. Which of the following actors did not appear in Jonathan Hensleigh’s Kill The Irishman? Val Kilmer? Christopher Walken? Joe Pesci?
6. Who plays the title role in 1967’s Dr. Dolittle? Richard Attenborough? Christopher Plummer? Rex Harrison? [bonus point for naming how many Dr. Dolittle (1998-) films were made]
REX HARRISON [5 – Dr. Dolittle / Dr. Dolittle 2 / Dr. Dolittle 3 / Dr. Dolittle: Tail To The Chief / Dr. Dolittle: Million Dollar Mutts]
7. 1958’s The Roots Of Heaven was filmed on location in which African country? Cameroon? Sudan? Chad? [bonus point for naming the top billed actor]
CHAD [Errol Flynn]
8. Which of the following did not appear in Sleuth? Lawrence Olivier? Anthony Hopkins? Michael Caine?
9. Where does Oliver meet Barbara in The War Of The Roses? At a health spa? At an auction? Whilst scuba diving?
AT AN AUCTION
10. Glen Close, Phil Collins, George Lucas and Carrie Fisher all have cameos in Hook. True or False?