[06 May 2012]
The Seventh Seal Clubbers
Genre – Gory sequel to The Goonies
The Seventh Ronseal
Genre – Does exactly what it says on the tin
Ignoring Me Through A Glass Darkly
Genre – Unclassified
Hank Marvin And The Dark Shadows
Genre – Mockumentary about a vampire guitarist’s assault on the pop charts
Ingmar Bergman Of Alcatraz
Genre – Swedish director imprisoned in America befriends birds, teaches them to play chess
Genre – Nicolas Cage musical remake
The Wild Thorberries
Genre – Thor gives up thunder and takes up strawberry growing
There’s Juan In The Bed
Genre – Nursery zombie musical
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What type of natural disaster is the central focus of Twister?
2. Which US city is Kong brought to in King Kong?
3. Who played the title role in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off?
4. What are Riggs and Murtar’s profession in Lethal Weapon?
5. What is the name of the head of the Addams Family (I.e. the father), in the film of the same name? [bonus point for naming the actor who played him]
GOMEZ [Raul Julia]
6. Alfie was released in which decade?
7. The plot for Sliding Doors hinges largely on which mode of transport?
UNDERGROUND / TUBE
8. What was the subtitle of the first Pirates Of The Caribbean film?
CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
9. What does Daniel Plainview mine/harvest, in There Will Be Blood?
10. What is Devils Tower in Close Encounters Of The Third Kind? [bonus point for naming what US state it’s in]
ROUND II: Filming [Ingmar Bergman Special]
1. Who directed All These Women? Ingmar Bergman? Stefan Jarl? Sven Nykvist?
2. What year was Prison filmed? 1920? 1949? 1981?
NINETEEN FORTY NINE
3. What was the title of Bergman’s first film? Woman Without A Face? A Ship To India? Crisis?
4. Which Bergman film is the story of an old man evaluating his life through nightmares and daydreams? The Virgin Spring? Brink Of Life? Wild Strawberries?
5. How many films has Ingmar Bergman directed? 40? 45? 50?
6. What is Albert Johansson’s profession in Sawdust And Tinsel? Circus Ringmaster? Olympic Swimmer? Blind Carpenter?
7. Which of the following is the first film in Bergman’s Cinematic Triptych? Winter Light? The Silence? Through A Glass Darkly?
THROUGH A GLASS DARKLY
8. Summer With Monika mostly takes place in which Swedish city? Stockholm? Gothenburg? Nacka?
9. Who is Henrik Egerman in love with in Smiles Of A Summer Night? His step-mother? His half-sister? His grandmother?
10. The iconic dance of death scene, in The Seventh Seal, was filmed with extras and tourists, as the actors had gone home for the day. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The following quotes are from which film, “I don’t eat anything with a face”, “Trust the fungus” and “Nobody touches President Koopa”?
SUPER MARIO BROS
2. What was the budget for 2001: A Space Odyssey?
10.5 MILLION DOLLARS
3. What did the children used to call Elijah Price in Unbreakable?
4. What are the two ways you can have a steak cooked in Jack Rabbit Slim’s diner, in Pulp Fiction? (one point per correct answer)
BURNT TO A CRISP / BLOODY AS HELL
5. Who played the title role in 1941’s The Wolfman?
LON CHANEY, JNR. [bonus point for Jnr]
6. Which film had the following poster tagline, “When the gangs take over the highway, remember he’s on your side”?
7. The first cowboy to answer Chris’ call in The Magnificent Seven is Chico. Which actor played Chico? [bonus point for naming the first cowboy to be accepted]
HORST BUCHHOLZ [Harry Luck / Brad Dexter]
8. What film was Harold Ramis’ directorial debut?
9. In The Mummy, the word Amenophus is represented by which type of bird?
10. Wayne Szalinski is the main character in which film? (one point per correct answer)
HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS / HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID/BABY / HONEY, WE SHRUNK OURSELVES
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was the title of the first film directed by Chris Columbus? Home Alone? Heartbreak Hotel? Adventures In Babysitting?
ADVENTURES IN BABYSITTING
2. Which of the following did not star in 1970’s Catch 22? Christopher Walken? Martin Sheen? Jon Voight?
3. Which of the following actors did not appear in Beavis And Butt-Head Do America? Bruce Willis? Kurt Russell? Demi Moore?
4. What was the title of Steven Spielberg’s feature directing debut? 1941? Always? Duel?
5. What was the last John Landis film to make a profit at the box office? Burke & Hare (2010)? Blues Brothers 2000 (1998)? Beverley Hills Cop III (1994)?
BEVERLEY HILLS COP III
6. Which of the following is not a sequel to the blaxploitation film, Shaft? Shaft In Africa? Shaft Downtown? Shaft’s Big Score?
7. Who gives Barbarella her assignment to rescue Dr. Durand Durand from Tau Ceti, in Barbarella? Pygar The Angel? The King Of France? The President Of Earth?
THE PRESIDENT OF EARTH
8. In Alien, what word does Brett reply to Parker with following every sentence? Right? Sure? Ok?
9. Who played the role of Hawkeye in 1970’s MASH? Alan Alda? Donald Sutherland? Elliot Gould?
10. For its negative portrayal of French soldiers, Paths Of Glory was banned in France for eighteen years. It was instead premiered in Germany, putting a strain on new relations with France, after WWII. True or False?