[06 November 2011]
X-Men Second Class
Genre – Same as the first film but with less leg room
Genre – Uplifting drama in which a hawk with an incredible eye for cinemtaography in the avian world, hits the big time
Dial M For Merde!
Genre – A verbatim drama detailing the conversations of Nicolas Sarkozy and Angela Merkel (starring Warwick Davis and Klaus Kinski)
The Life Asthmatic With Wheezy Sue
Genre – Story of revenge against a killer inhaler
Fantastic Dr. Fox
Genre – Animated political drama
Genre – A shiteological horror
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Superman II features which superhero?
2. What is the most song well-known song from White Christmas? [bonus point for naming the two lead actors who play Bob and Phil]
WHITE CHRISTMAS [Bing Crosby / Danny Kaye]
3. Who composed the score for Jaws?
4. What colour is Danny’s car (Greased Lightning) in Grease?
5. What is the name of Julie Andrews’ character in The Sound Of Music?
6. What colour is the corpse bride’s skin in the film of the same name?
7. What kind of animal is Hidalgo?
8. Who played the title roles in Joel Schumacher’s Batman & Robin? (one point per correct answer)
GEORGE CLOONEY / CHRIS O’DONNELL
9. What was the title of the second James Bond film?
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
10. The Searchers, Rio Bravo and The Quiet Man all starred which actor?
11. Kenneth Williams, Sid James, Joan Sims and Charles Hawtrey were regulars in which film series?
12. In what year was The Towering Inferno released?
ROUND II: Filming [Wes Anderson Special]
1. What is the name of the fictional famous diver in The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou? [bonus point for correct spelling]
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox is based on the book by which author?
3. The Darjeeling Limited tells the story of how many brothers?
4. Who plays Royal Tenenbaum in The Royal Tenenbaums?
5. In what year was Bottle Rocket (Anderson’s debut film) released?
6. Who is the only actor to star in every Wes Anderson release? Bill Murray? Owen Wilson? Jason Schwartzman?
7. What exactly is Rushmore?
8. In Fantastic Mr. Fox, what is the name of Ash’s cousin?
9. Which Anderson film features the characters Max Fischer, Herman Blume and Rosemary Cross?
10. What was the name of the short film that appears before The Darjeeling Limited? [bonus points for naming the two actors who star in it]
HOTEL CHEVALIER [Jason Schwartzman / Natalie Portman]
11. How does Steve Zissou describe the shark that killed his best friend in The Life Aquatic?
12. During filming of The Royal Tenenbaums, the hawk used to play Mordecai was kidnapped but as the production schedule couldn’t wait for the bird to be returned, they just used another one. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which five actors play the medical students in Flatliners? (one point per correct answer)
KIEFER SUTHERLAND / JULIA ROBERTS / KEVIN BACON / OLIVER PLATT / WILLIAM BALDWIN
2. What is the Iron Giant’s last line in the film of the same name?
3. The entire cast and crew of The African Queen suffered from severe dysentery, except for John Huston and Humphrey Bogart who lived almost exclusively on a diet of what?
4. Which actress was born Norma Jean Mortensen?
5. How many academy awards has John Williams won?
6. Which is the higher grossing franchise, Harry Potter or James Bond?
HARRY POTTER (7.7 billion / James Bond 5.1 billion)
7. Which animated film holds the Guinness world record for 399 swear words, 199 offensive gestures and 221 acts of violence?
SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER AND UNCUT
8. Who composed the score for The Omen?
9. This year, John Carpenter released The Ward, his first film in ten years. What did he direct in 2001?
GHOSTS OF MARS
10. Who directed Bill Cosby in 1990’s Ghost Dad?
11. What does Navin name the dog in The Jerk?
12. How many different mask designs (excluding the CGI mask) were used on Halloween H20?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following made the most money at the box office? Gone With The Wind? Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs? The Godfather?
GONE WITH THE WIND (Gone With The Wind 390mil / Snow White 370mil / Godfather 268mil)
2. What year was Straw Dogs released? 1962? 1967? 1971?
3. Which brother is the first to get into a fight in the barn in Seven Brides For Seven Brothers? Adam? Benjamin? Caleb?
4. Who directed the 1996 Robin Williams film, Jack? Martin Scorsese? Francis Ford Coppola? Brian De Palma?
FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA
5. Who was the first recipient of the Disney Legends award (Disney’s annual hall of fame award)? Fred MacMurray? Julie Andrews? Roy E. Disney?
6. Which character does George C. Scott play in The Hustler? Bert Gordon? Minnesota Fats? Eddie Felson?
7. Which musical instrument is Charles Bronson known as in Once Upon A Time In The West? Banjo? Whistle? Harmonica?
8. The following is a quote from which Woody Allen film: “A relationship, I think, is like a dead shark. You know? It has to constantly move forward or it dies.. and I think what we got on our hands here is.. is a dead shark”? Annie Hall? Manhattan? Bullets Over Broadway?
9. The last scene of La Vie En Rose is set in which Parisian music hall? Bobino? Theatre Mogador? Olympia?
10. What film did Roger Michell direct after Notting Hill? Enduring Love? Changing Lanes? The Mother?
11. What was Robin Williams’ feature film debut? The World According To Garp? Good Morning, Vietnam? Popeye?
12. Joel Schumacher’s latest film, Trespass (starring Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman), recently broke the record for longest box-office presence (i.e. length of time in cinemas). True or False?
FALSE (after doing so badly, it was out on DVD just eighteen days after it was pulled from cinemas, setting a new record for fastest cinema-to-dvd release)