[22 May 2011]
The Philadelphia Cream-Cheese Experiment
Genre – Dairy time travel war movie
Walks Into A Bar. A Time Traveller
Genre – Cross-temporal farce
13 Ass Sins
Genre – A film that culminates in a 45 minute bowel movement
Hot Tub Mime Machine
Genre – A comedy about a magical hot tub that produces mimes
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of Marlin’s son in Finding Nemo?
2. Who played the title character in Pretty Woman?
3. Who directed A Clockwork Orange? [bonus point for naming the fictional slang/language used in the film]
STANLEY KUBRICK [Nadsat]
4. What colour are the British uniforms in Zulu?
5. Which two actors played the lead roles in Pearl Harbour? (one point per correct answer)
BEN AFFLECK / JOSH HARTNETT
6. Who played Cruella de Vil in the live-action remake of 101 Dalmatians?
7. Which Spielberg produced film features Mogwai?
GREMLINS or GREMLINS II
8. What animal does Buffalo Bill keep as a pet in Silence Of The Lambs? [bonus point for the animal’s name]
9. In which film did a Michael Douglas character famously say “The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good”?
10. What type of sweet does Elliot use to lure ET into his house.. and then bedroom?
11. What is the subtitle of Mad Max 3?
12. In what year was Roland Emmerich’s Independence Day released?
ROUND II: Filming [Time Travel Special]
1. Which time travelling film alludes to The Army Of The Twelve Monkeys?
2. Which of the three Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films deals with time travel?
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES III
3. What is the only thing that can safely pass through the time rift in the Terminator films?
FLESH (hence no guns and no clothes)
4. Why do Bill & Ted first travel through time?
TO ACE A HISTORY TEST (verbatim)
5. How many Star Trek films depict time travel?
FOUR (4 / 7 / 8 / 11)
6. What mode of transportation partly disappears, due to the contemporary presence of Hugh Jackman’s character in Kate & Leopold? Escalators? Elevators? Cars?
7. Which film features the TEC (Time Enforcement Commission) to police time travel?
8. The 1921 film A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur’s Court was based on a play by which author?
9. What is the name of the glowing-eyed, hairy creatures in the 1960 version of The Time Machine?
10. Which character in Austin Powers 2 is unable to withhold the answer to any question asked three times?
11. What three words are written under the Mr. Fusion logo in Back To The Future? (one point per correctly identified word)
HOME ENERGY REACTOR
12. The book, The Philosophy Of Time Travel, that features in Donnie Darko is based on the real book entitled The Ethics And Philosophy Of Time Travel. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which academy award winning writer penned the screenplay for Charlie Wilson’s War?
2. What is used as currency in Caro and Jeunet’s Delicatessen?
3. Three actors have played the Tom Clancy character Jack Ryan on screen, name them. (one point per correct answer)
ALEC BALDWIN / HARRISON FORD / BEN AFFLECK
4. What is the name of One-Eyed Willie’s ship, in The Goonies?
5. What happened to John Rambo in the original ending of First Blood?
HE COMMITS SUICIDE
6. At the start of The Fifth Element, Billy is making a tally of the professor shouting ‘Aziz, light!’ What is the figure?
7. What was the difference between the budget and gross revenue for Oliver Stone’s Nixon? (point goes to closest answer)
30.5 MILLION DOLLARS (budget $44mil revenue $13.5mil)
8. “Candle On The Water”, “There’s Room For Everyone” and “Brazzle Dazzle Day” are songs from which Disney film?
9. What is Yuri’s country of origin in Lord Of War? [bonus point for naming the actor who played Yuri’s brother, Vitaly]
UKRAINE [Jared Leto]
10. What year was the Robert Redford/Mia Farrow Great Gatsby released?
11. What is the name of the monkey in the Pirates Of The Caribbean series?
12. What was Captain Blood’s title before he was convicted of treason in Captain Blood? [bonus point for naming the actor who played the lead]
DOCTOR [Errol Flynn]
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following is not a character in the Kevin Smith film, Dogma? Loki? Ramiel? Bartleby?
2. What is the name of the law firm that Andrew Beckett works/worked for in Philadelphia? Wyatt Wheeler? Walker-Stearns? Webster, Webster & Cohen?
3. Which of the following isn’t a remake? Last Man Standing? Yojimbo? A Fistful Of Dollars?
4. Peckinpah’s Cross Of Iron was based on which novel by Willi Heinrich? The Mark Of Shame? The Crumbling Fortress? The Willing Flesh?
THE WILLING FLESH
5. The main theme of 1947’s Crossfire was changed from homophobia to what? Anti-semitism? Sexism? Animal Cruelty?
6. Which film afford Frank Sinatra his only Oscar for acting? From Here To Eternity? Ocean’s Eleven? Come Blow Your Horn?
FROM HERE TO ETERNITY
7. Which Cagney film features the quote, “Let’s go and say a prayer for a boy who couldn’t run as fast as I could” The Public Enemy? White Heat? Angels With Dirty Faces?
ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES
8. What was the Rocketeer’s helmet made out of in the film of the same name? Toaster? Radio? Bucket?
9. Mel Gibson’s Payback was a remake of which 1967 film? Branded To Kill? Point Blank? The Dirty Outlaws?
10. Serpico depicts how many years of Frank Serpico’s time in the NYPD? Ten? Twelve? Fourteen?
11. Madonna broke the world record for most costume changes in Evita. How many items did she cycle through? 65? 75? 85? [bonus point for stating who held the record previously]
EIGHTY FIVE [Elizabeth Taylor]
12. During her archery training for King Arthur, Keira Knightley injured a horse which had to be put down. Subsequently, the film had to be put on hold while an animal welfare investigation took place. True or False?