[30 January 2011]
Genre – Mad-Eye Moody has to ‘take out’ an Auror after an accidental muggle death
Chocolate & Children
Genre – Belgian
Genre – A smuggling movie about the illegal export of Irn Bru from Belgium
Genre – Martial arts documentary starring Colin Farrell
Genre – Hit-men are shrunk down so they can kill the scientology in Tom Cruise
The Wise (guy) Bloods
Genre – Gothic southern gangstah
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. In which correctional facility is Escape From Alcatraz set?
2. Who directed Jaws, Schindler’s List and Jurassic Park?
3. What type of animal is the lead character in Ratatouille?
4. What is the subtitle of the third Die Hard film?
WITH A VENGEANCE
5. Who played the lead role in Uncle Buck?
6. What was the title of the first Indiana Jones film?
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
7. How many Police Academy movies were made?
8. What does Tony Montana famously shout before firing his weapon at the end of Scarface?
SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND
9. Who directed Bad Boys?
10. The English Patient is set during which military conflict?
WORLD WAR II
11. The Ghostbusters headquarters is set up in what type of disused building?
12. How does Nick Marshall gain the ability to hear what women are thinking, in What Women Want?
ELECTROCUTED IN BATH
ROUND II: Filming [In Bruges Special]
1. In which country is In Bruges set?
2. Which actor portrays Ray and Ken’s boss, Harry Waters?
3. What is the name of the girl that Ray (Farrell) pursues?
4. How long are Ray and Ken supposed to be hiding out in Bruges?
5. Both Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson were nominated for the same Golden Globe award for their respective performances, which one won?
6. How does Ray describe sight-seeing?
GOING AROUND IN A BOAT, LOOKING AT STUFF
7 How many time is fuck and its derivatives used throughout the film? (point goes to the closest answer)
ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIX
8 Who composed the score for In Bruges?
9. What is the name of the Hieronymus Bosch painting that Ray and Ken discuss?
THE LAST JUDGEMENT
10. What three things were written on the boy’s confessional card? (one point per correct answer)
BEING MOODY / BEING BAD AT MATHS / BEING SAD
11. What film noir is Ken watching when Harry calls him and instructs him to assassinate Ray?
TOUCH OF EVIL
12. Excluding the flashback, Ray never changes his clothes. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Who directed Amadeus?
2. What were the names of the two characters played by Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator?
ADENOID HYNKEL / JEWISH BARBER
3. Fight Club: while Marla and Jack are fighting in the street, they pass a cinema showing which Brad Pitt film?
SEVEN YEARS IN TIBET
4. What is the name of the toy factory in the 1992 Barry Levinson film, Toys?
5. During Jay’s interview in Men In Black, he shoots a cardboard cut-out of a little girl. What is her name?
6. Who cameos as the judge for the ‘walk-off’ in Zoolander?
7. Ben Affleck has played two superheroes (one Marvel and one DC) throughout his career. Name them both.
DAREDEVIL (2003) / SUPERMAN (Hollywoodland 2006)
8. The following quote features in which Evil Dead film? “Soon, all of you will be like me.. and then who will lock you up in a cellar?”
THE EVIL DEAD
9. Who narrated Lemony Snicket’s A Series Of Unfortunate Events? [bonus point for naming how many locations were used]
JUDE LAW [none, everything was filmed on a sound stage]
10. What was the name of Humphrey Bogart’s only Western?
THE OKLAHOMA KID
11. Peter O’Toole has been nominated for an academy award eight times without winning. Which film was his last nomination?
12. What is the name of the metropolis in which Mystery Men is set?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which actress played the role of Frenchy in Grease? Jamie Donnelly? Didi Conn? Dinah Manoff?
2. Which academy award category was retired most recently? Best dance direction? Best assistant director? Best original musical/comedy score?
BEST ORIGINAL MUSICAL/COMEDY SCORE (1995-1999, the other two were retired in 1937)
3. The Bogart version of The Maltese Falcon was released in 1941, what year was the original made? 1930? 1931? 1932?
4. 1942’s In Which We Serve focuses on the undertakings of which ship? HMS Walsh? HMS Torrin? HMS Catton? [bonus point for naming the two individuals who co-directed the piece]
HMS TORRIN [David Lean / Noel Coward]
5. What does private eye, Mike Hammer, offer the gym/club attendant when he refuses a bribe, in Kiss Me Deadly? His watch? 20 year old whiskey? A slap?
6. The following quote is from which Ealing comedy? “It is so difficult to make a neat job of killing people with whom one is not on friendly terms.” The Ladykillers? Meet Mr. Lucifer? Kind Hearts And Coronets?
KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS
7. Excluding Game Of Death II (which used stock footage), how many films did Bruce Lee appear in? Four? Six? Eight? [bonus points for each named]
SIX [Marlowe, The Big Boss, Fist Of Fury, Way Of The Dragon, Enter The Dragon, Game Of Death]
8. Which song does not feature in The King And I? Getting To Know You? I Whistle A Happy Tune? Many A New Day? [bonus point for naming the origin of the rogue song]
MANY A NEW DAY [Oklahoma!]
9. Which of the following was the top grossing silent film in the United States? The Big Parade? The Birth Of A Nation? Ben Hur?
THE BIRTH OF A NATION
10. Who played the uncredited role of Jacob’s son, Gabe, in Jacob’s Ladder? Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Leonardo DiCaprio? Macaulay Culkin?
11. What is the last shot of The Godfather: Part II? Michael sitting by himself as everyone goes to greet Vito? Michael sitting by himself in the Lake Tahoe compound? Vito leaving Corleone by train with his young family?
MICHAEL SITTING BY HIMSELF IN THE LAKE TAHOE COMPOUND
12. Many films made between 1930 and 1968 were required to often film extra footage to ensure the story ended with the classic adage ‘crime doesn’t pay’ as adhering to the Motion Picture Production Code (or Hays Code); most of which has since been discarded. True or False?
TRUE (endings that were considered ambiguous or imply the bad guy got away required additional footage)