[21 November 2010]
Our Afternoons With Margarhitas
Genre – Le sequel de l’hangover – in French with English subtitles
Genre – 80s hipster product placement flick
The League Of Extraordinary Watchmen: Part V
Genre – Harrowing tale of Victorian clock-makers
Bill Odie And The Deathly Swallows
Genre – 18 year old Bill Odie embarks on a journey in search of himself and an army of child eating birds
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the lead character in Donnie Darko?
2. Les Enfants du Paradis (1945) was filmed in which country? [bonus point for correctly translating the title]
FRANCE [Children Of Paradise]
3. What kind of twins play the character of Julian in Big Daddy? Siamese or Identical?
4. What is the first rule of Fight Club?
YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB
5. What was Mary Poppins’ occupation?
6. Graham Chapman portrays which English king in Monty Python & The Holy Grail?
7. What type of animal is Flower in Bambi?
8. What genre does The Searchers belong to? Comedy? Musical? Western?
9. Stage Beauty tells the story of the first female what?
10. What is the title of the 2005 film featuring Keira Knightley as a bounty hunter?
11. According to Pulp Fiction, what is a Quarter-Pounder known as in Europe?
ROYALE WITH CHEESE
12. Poster Tagline Part I: Which movie features the poster tagline ‘The creators of Jaws and Star Wars now bring you the ultimate hero in the ultimate adventure’?
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
ROUND II: Filming [Alan Moore Adaptations Special]
1. Alan Moore cinematic adaptations are adapted from what? Poems? Comics? Musicals?
2. Which Alan Moore adaptation starred Jason Flemyng, Peta Wilson, Stuart Townsend, and Sean Connery?
THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN
3. From Hell is set in what year?
4. Which character is the first to die in Watchmen?
5. What was the first Alan Moore adaptation to not feature his name?
V FOR VENDETTA
6. Who plays Chas in Constantine?
7. After Fox thought the title was too lengthy, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen was shortened to what?
8. What is the name of the breakfast that V prepares for Evie in V For Vendetta?
EGGY IN A BASKET
9. What is the time difference between the theatrical and director’s cut of Watchmen?
TWENTY FOUR MINUTES
10. Which religious artefact is uncovered at the start of Constantine?
SPEAR OF DESTINY (also accept Holy Lance)
11. What is the last line of From Hell?
GOODNIGHT, SWEET PRINCE
12. Both Sean Connery and director, Stephen Norrington hated working on The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemenso much that neither have worked on a film since. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Excluding the upcoming Love Ranch (released Jan 2011), how many years have passed since Joe Pesci’s last film? [bonus point for naming the title]
FOUR [The Good Shepherd – 2006]
2. The alien (and main villain) in Stargate assumed the identity of which ancient Egyptian god?
3. Other than the Harry Potter series, how many feature films has Daniel Radcliffe starred in?
TWO (The Taylor Of Panama and December Boys)
4. How are the vampire hunting brothers, Edgar and Alan (played by Corey Feldman and Jamison Newlander) known as in The Lost Boys? [bonus points for naming the titles of the straight-to-dvd sequels]
THE FROG BROTHERS [The Tribe / The Thirst]
5. Poster Tagline Part II: His passion captivated a woman, his courage inspired a nation, his heart defied a king?
6. How many films to date have won the Best Picture Oscar despite not receiving a Best Director nomination?
THREE (Wings 1927, Grand Hotel 1932, Driving Miss Daisy 1989)
7. Errol Flynn co-starred with Olivia de Havilland in eight films. What were their titles? (one point per correct title)
CAPTAIN BLOOD / THE CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE / THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD / FOUR’S A CROWD / DODGE CITY / THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX / SANTA FE TRAIL / THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON
8. How many films has Sylvester Stallone directed?
EIGHT (Paradise Alley / Rocky II / Rocky III / Staying Alive / Rocky IV / Rocky Balboa / Rambo / The Expendables)
9. According to the film, what year did the Event Horizon disappear?
10. What typographical symbol appears before the title Batteries Not Included?
11. “Keep the change, you filthy animal” was the final quote from fictitious film Angels With Filthy Souls in Home Alone. What was the last line in the sequel in Home Alone 2?
MERRY CHRISTMAS, YOU FILTHY ANIMAL. AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR
12. What was the name of Jane Russell’s character in Howard Hughes’ controversial western, The Outlaw? (one point for each name)
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which country is the majority of Goodbye, Lenin set? East Germany? West Germany? Federal Republic of Germany?
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY (which is what West Germany was called in the first place)
2. A Cock And Bull Story is based on the novel by which author? Wilkie Collins? Laurence Sterne? Anthony Trollope?
3. Gaspar Noé’s Irréversible is cut in reverse chronological order, how many distinct scenes does it comprise of? 10? 13? 16?
4. Which of the following has not portrayed Charlie Chaplin on film? Eddie Izzard? Robert Downey Jnr.? Jim Carey?
JIM CAREY (Izzard-2002 The Cat’s Meow / Downey-1992 Chaplin)
5. In what year was The Dam Busters released? 1950? 1952? 1954?
6. Who directed the 1991 remake of Cape Fear? Brian De Palma? Martin Scorsese? Frank Marshall? [bonus points for naming the two lead actors in the 1962 original]
MARTIN SCORSESE [Gregory Peck / Robert Mitchum]
7. What is the last line the Howard Hughes repeats at the end of The Aviator? We’ll remember in future? The way of the future? Look ahead to the future?
THE WAY OF THE FUTURE
8. What relic is Lara Croft searching for in Tomb Raider? Apple Of Eden? Triangle Of Light? Cradle Of Life?
TRIANGLE OF LIGHT
9. Driving Miss Daisy won four of its nine Oscar nominations. Which of the following was one of the winners? Best Actor? Best Costume Design? Best Makeup?
BEST MAKEUP (also Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Adapted Screenplay)
10. What is the name of the costume shop in Eyes Wide Shut? Golden Fashions? Tempting Fashions? Rainbow Fashions?
11. Poster Tagline Part III: The scariest comedy of all time? Airplane? Young Frankenstein? Beetlejuice?
12. One particular scene of James Cagney being shot at in The Public Enemy was achieved by hiring a marksman with a live Tommy gun to shoot the bricks next to his head. True or False?