[07 November 2010]
The Team With No Name
Genre – Harrowingly sparse endeavour
Bill & Ted’s Excellent Retirement Party (Woah!)
Genre – Geriatric comedy
Genre – Disappointing Sci-Fi
The Anti-Social Network
Genre – Michael Cera stars as an ASBO riddled student, outcasting himself from his fraternity
One Flew Over Wymondham
Genre – A study into the mental dissolutions of those involved in making a local film festival
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The upcoming film, Tron: Legacy is the follow up to which film?
2. What is the name of the adaptation of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory starring Gene Wilder?
WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
3. What is the name of the sequel to 28 Days Later?
28 WEEKS LATER
4. In The Seventh Seal, what colour chess pieces does Death play with?
5. City Lights, The Kid and The Great Dictator are films by which silent movie star?
6. West Side Story is set in which US city?
7. Hot Shots is largely a parody of which film?
8. What army were the Spartans attempting to fight off in 300?
9. Who directed Spartacus?
10. The quotes, “Help me, help you” “You had me at hello” and “Show me the money” are from which film?
11. The title character in V For Vendetta wears a mask resembling whom?
12. What nationality is director, James Cameron?
ROUND II: Filming [Jack Nicholson Special]
1. “Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown” is a quote from which Nicholson film?
2. In As Good As It Gets, Melvin Udall is asked to take care of his neighbour’s pet whilst in hospital. What type of animal is the pet in question?
3. How many times has Jack Nicholson played a President? (bonus points for naming the film/s)
ONCE (Mars Attacks!)
4. During One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, McMurphy tries to get votes from the other inmates to put on the TV and watch what sport?
5. Which three actresses conjure up Nicholson’s character in The Witches Of Eastwick? (one point per correct answer)
CHER / SUSAN SARANDON / MICHELLE PFEIFFER
6. What is Nathan Jessop’s rank in A Few Good Men?
7. What was the name of Jack Nicholson’s character in Easy Rider?
8. What drink does Jack Torrance order from Lloyd the bartender in The Shining?
BOURBON ON THE ROCKS
9. What is the title of the 1981 Warren Beatty directed film that Jack Nicholson appeared in?
10. Which of Nicholson’s characters did he claim to be “the ultimate incarnation of evil”?
FRANK COSTELLO (The Departed)
11. When Batman was first released it broke the record box office gross (opening weekend) set the week before by which film?
12. Nicholson’s character in Terms Of Endearment did not feature in the original novel and was offered to Burt Reynolds, James Garner and Harrison Ford before eventually going to Nicholson. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What are the subtitles of the three Ice Age sequels? (one point per correct answer)
THE MELTDOWN / DAWN OF THE DINOSAURS / CONTINENTAL DRIFT (2012 release announced 05-May-10)
2. When casting for Edward Scissorhands, Burton wanted to use Cry Baby’s Johnny Depp but Fox pushed him to audition which actor?
3. 2005’s Sin City is divided into four stories, what are their individual titles? (one point per correct answer)
THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT / THAT YELLOW BASTARD / THE HARD GOODBYE / THE BIG FAT KILL
4. Almost all of Patton was shot in which European country?
5. What prop was given to Barbara Stanwyck to emphasise her character’s ‘sleazy phoniness’ in Double Indemnity?
BAD BLONDE WIG
6. What is English Bob’s (Richard Harris) nickname in Unforgiven?
THE DUKE OF DEATH
7. Excluding Tim Burton’s remake and next year’s prequel, how many Planet Of The Apes films have been produced? Five? Six? Seven?
FIVE (POTA / Beneath The POTA / Escape From The POTA / Conquest Of The POTA / Battle For The POTA)
8. There are four instances of colour being used in Schindler’s List, other than the opening and closing scenes, what two objects are colourised? (one point per correct answer)
RED COAT / LIT CANDLES
9. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind are ones of actual contact; what are the first two? (one point per correct answer)
SIGHTING A UFO / PHYSICAL EVIDENCE (as stated by the theatrical release posters)
10. How many years pass between the release of A Fish Called Wanda and its pseudo-sequel Fierce Creatures?
11. The gold in The Lavender Hill Mob is disguised as paperweights in the shape of what?
THE EIFFEL TOWER
12. Which actor narrates A.I. Artificial Intelligence?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following phrases is not tattooed on Leonard in Memento? Everyone Lies? Memory Is Treachery? Time Still Passes?
2. What’s the name of Ben Wade’s pistol in 3:10 To Yuma? Widow Maker? Hand Of God? Lightning?
HAND OF GOD
3. Which opera does Capone attend after ordering the hit on Malone in The Untouchables? La Traviata? Pagliacci? Don Giovanni?
4. Which Los Angeles gang is Doughboy affiliated with in Boyz N The Hood? Crenshaw Mafia (Bloods)? Rollin’ 60s (Crips)? Neither?
ROLLIN’ 60s (CRIPS)
5. What is the name of the Mars Administrator in Total Recall? Cohaagen? Richter? Quaid?
6. During the editing stage of Cleopatra, Fox fired the director (Joseph L. Mankiewicz). Why was he rehired? There was no shooting script, Mankiewicz was the only one who knew how the story went? Elizabeth Taylor demanded he be reinstated? It would have been more expensive to employ a new director?
NO SHOOTING SCRIPT
7. What beverage does Daniel Plainview use to describe drainage to Eli in There Will Be Blood? Milkshake? Beer? Coffee?
8. Which of the following products did not feature as product placements in Blade Runner? Atari? Budweiser? Levi’s?
9. Predator is set in which Central American country? Nicaragua? Guatemala? Panama?
10. Which of the following is not a Gruber brother in the Die Hard series? Simon? Hans? Karl?
11. What type of miners are Billy’s father and brother in Billy Elliot? Coal? Iron Ore? Oil?
12. Frances McDormand was actually pregnant during the filming of Fargo. True or False?