[01 August 2010]
Any Old Zion?
Genre – A harrowing cockney re-imagining of The Matrix trilogy starring Dick Van Dyke
Agent Smith Goes To Washington
Genre – Virtual reality courtroom political thriller
The Photo On The Trophy Looks Like A Young Bruce Forsyth
Genre – Generation drama
Genre – Consensual hallucination
The Good, The Bad and The Slightly-Better-Than-The-Second
Genre – The Matrix Trilogy renamed
The Incredibly Bad
Genre – Farce
Genre – Divinity
The Three Amigos
Genre – Comedy
Genre – Modern post traumatic horror of a film quiz
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the Russian submarine in Hunt For Red October?
2. How many parts was Tarantino’s Kill Bill released in?
3. Who played the lead role in Michael Mann’s Ali?
4. Which Steven Spielberg film follows the criminal exploits of Frank Abignale Jnr, played by Leonardo DiCaprio?
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
5. What was the name of the sequel to the Russian film Night Watch [Nochnoy Dozor]?
DAY WATCH [Dnevnoy Dozor]
6. What language was Run Lola Run recorded in?
7. What is the name of the boy that Hugh Grant presents as his son in About A Boy?
8. The aliens in Stargate (arguably there’s only one alien but bad guys sounds a little stupid) take the form of ancient gods from which country?
9. What is the name of Daniel LaRusso’s mentor and martial arts tutor in The Karate Kid?
10. Bruce Willis provides the voice of which animal in Over The Hedge?
11. Steve McQueen cop drama Bullitt takes place in which US city?
12. In what order is Kieslowski’s Three Colours trilogy named – specifically the order of the colours?
BLUE, WHITE, RED
ROUND II: Filming [The Matrix Trilogy Special]
1. In The Matrix, Neo is presented with two pills: Red and Blue. Which does he accept? (third question asked on the first Cinema City quiz)
2. Which character said, “No one can be told what the matrix is, you have to see it for yourself”?
3. What is the name of the last human city?
4. What are the names of the squid like machines that fly through the conduits of the real world attacking ships?
5. Neo is commonly referred to as Mr. Anderson but what is his first name?
6. Mary Alice and Gloria Foster both played the part of the Oracle. Which one featured in two films? [bonus point for stating what Temet Nosce means]
GLORIA FOSTER [Know Thyself]
7. What does Agent Smith hate most about being amongst human beings?
8. Over the trilogy there are six distinct agents. What are their names (one point per correct answer)
SMITH / JONES / BROWN / THOMPSON / JOHNSON / JACKSON
9. The art deco sets and cityscapes used in The Matrix were actually recycled from which science fiction film released the previous year?
10. In the freeway chase in The Matrix: Reloaded, how many people are changed into agents?
11. The architect explains that the one must select from the matrix 23 individuals. How many female and how many male?
SIXTEEN (f) SEVEN (m)
12. None of the original three agents successfully manage to kill anyone. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Annie Potts played Janine in Ghostbusters. Which character did she play in Toy Story?
2. What is Blain’s response to Poncho when he says, “You’re bleeding, man. You’re hit” in Predator?
I AIN’T GOT TIME TO BLEED
3. In what years were the four Fast & Furious films released? (one point per correct answer)
2001 / 2003 / 2006 / 2009
4. Who played the lead femme fatale, Janet Henry in 1942’s The Glass Key?
5. What is the name of the cave in which the killer rabbit lives in Monty Python & The Holy Grail?
THE CAVE OF CAERBANNOG
6. In which film does Audrey Hepburn play a shy bookshop clerk and amateur philosopher?
7. There have only been two examples of a lead actor winning a Best Actor Oscar under their own direction. Name the actors. (one point per correct answer)
ROBERTO BENIGNI (Life Is Beautiful 1997) / LAURENCE OLIVIER (Hamlet 1948)
8. What are the titles of Richard Kelly’s three feature films? (one point per correct answer)
DONNIE DARKO / SOUTHLAND TALES / THE BOX
9. What was the name of the film based on Eric Idle’s fictional band, The Rutles? [bonus point for identifying which member of The Beatles made a cameo]
ALL YOU NEED IS CASH [George Harrison]
10. What was the name of the previous caretaker at The Overlook Hotel in The Shining?
11. What are Proximo’s (played by Oliver Reed) last words in Gladiator?
SHADOWS AND DUST
12. In 2004, Premiere magazine released a controversial (controversial because the public largely agreed) article listing the 20 Most Overrated films. Submit five titles, one point per correct answer.
AMERICAN BEAUTY / CHICAGO / CLERKS / FANTASIA / FIELD OF DREAMS / CHARIOTS OF FIRE / GOOD WILL HUNTING / FORREST GUMP / JULES AND JIM / A BEAUTIFUL MIND / MONSTER’S BALL / MOONSTRUCK / MYSTIC RIVER / NASHVILLE / THE WIZARD OF OZ / AN AMERICAN IN PARIS / EASY RIDER / THE RED SHOES / 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY / GONE WITH THE WIND
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following facts about Fritz Lang’s M is not true? Peter Lorre’s whistling was dubbed by Lang as the actor couldn’t whistle? This film was used as evidence when exiling Lang from Germany? Lang insisted that the film look real, so Lorre was thrown down a flight of stairs into a cellar over a dozen times?
EXILE (Lang was half-Jewish and fled Germany in 1934 for fear of persecution)
2. What is the name of the company that Andy works for in The 40 Year Old Virgin? Initech? SmartTech? Buy+Large?
SMARTTECH (the others are Office Space and Wall-e)
3. Which language is not utilised by Edward James Olmos’ city-speak in Blade Runner? Hungarian? French? Polish?
POLISH (languages used: Spanish, French, Chinese, Hungarian, German and Japanese)
4. What was the name of Henry Fonda’s character in 12 Angry Men? Juror #7? Juror #8? Juror #10?
NUMBER EIGHT (other two were Jack Warden and Ed Begley)
5. Bryce Dallas Howard was awarded the leading role in The Village after which actress dropped out? Christina Ricci? Kirsten Dunst? Charlize Theron?
6. Which of the following was not considered to play the role of Gandhi before Ben Kingsley was cast? Alex Guinness? Richard Attenborough? Anthony Hopkins?
7. What is the name of the record label that Tony Wilson starts in 24 Hour Party People? London Records? Factory Records? Madchester Records?
8. R. Lee Ermey was not intended to play the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket, what was his original role? Technical advisor? Unit driver? Carpenter? [2 bonus points for stating the Drill Sergeant’s surname]
TECHNICAL ADVISOR [Gunnery Sergeant Hartman]
9. Which of the following statements about Bugsy Malone is true? All singing roles were dubbed by adults? Over half of the singing roles were dubbed by adults? All of the singing roles were dubbed by other adolescents?
ALL DUBBED BY ADULTS
10. What is the name of the lead samurai in Seven Samurai? Kikuchiyo? Kanbe? Gorobe?
11. Which line from Casablanca was altered to meet decency standards? He’s just like any other man, only more so? You like war. I like women? The leading banker in Amsterdam is now our pastry chef?
YOU LIKE WAR (previously ‘You enjoy war, I enjoy women’ but considered too lewd)
12. American Beauty’s title is a reference to a type of rose that rots from the root up. True or False?