[09 May 2010]
My Neighbour Tarantino
Genre – Comedy Docu-Drama
A Nightmare On Downing Street
Genre – Hilarious Political Satire
Blood On The Catbus: Totoro’s Revenge
Genre – Hentai Tentacle Porn
Genre – Delia Smith Takes The Classic Sunday Roast To Japan In A Culture Clashing Mockumentary
Vicars Of Ghibli
Genre – Dog Collar Manga
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Which breed of dogs features heavily in Disney’s One Hundred And One Dalmations?
2. According to Rodgers and Hammerstein, the hills are alive with the sound of what?
3. For which film did Bryan Adams write the eternally bloody annoying “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You”?
ROBIN HOOD: PRINCE OF THIEVES
4. Marlon Brando features as a leather-clad biker in which 50s movie?
THE WILD ONE
5. Which 1986 animated film was remade in 2007 by Michael Bay?
6. Which actress played Calamity Jane in the 1953 film of the same name?
7. What was Mrs. Doubtfire’s profession?
8. What name for a theatre in ancient Greece gives its name to one of the biggest cinema chains in the country?
9. Who plays the lead, toon-hating private eye in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
10. Anna And The King was a 1999 remake of which 1956 musical?
THE KING AND I
11. Which Indiana Jones film features the quote “I find that if I just sit down, the solution presents itself”?
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
12. What was the name of Mel Brooks’ Star Wars spoof?
ROUND II: Filming [Hayao Miyazaki Special]
1. What was the name of the fish-girl in Ghibli’s latest release, Ponyo?
PONYO [Brunhilde by her father]
2. Who voices the wizard Howl in the English dub of Howl’s Moving Castle?
3. Which of the following releases does not have a female lead? Nausicaa: Valley Of The Wind? Only Yesterday? Princess Mononoke?
4. Grave Of The Fireflies is set during which military conflict?
WORLD WAR II
5. Which feature earned Ghibli its first Academy Award?
6. What was the name of the cat in Whisper Of The Heart?
THE BARON [Baron Humbert Von Gikkingen]
7. What year was Studio Ghibli founded? [4 bonus points for correctly guessing the month]
8. How old is Kiki when she sets out to find her place in the world at the start of Kiki’s Delivery Service?
9. Which Studio Ghibli film went on to become the highest grossing movie in Japan in 1992?
10. Which two releases are the only Ghibli films to be released on the exact same day? [one point per correct answer]
GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES / MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO [16-Apr-1988]
11. Based on Japanese folklore, Pom Poko depicts shape-shifting tanuki (racoon-like mammals) defending their forestry homeland from builders. Which part of their anatomy heavily features in their transformations?
TESTICLES (explaining the importance and frequent presence of tanuki balls caused immense difficulty when trying to translate the film for an English-speaking audience)
12. Excluding the TV film Ocean Waves, how many directors have worked on Studio Ghibli films to date? [2 bonus points for each surname listed]
FIVE [H Miyazaki / Takahata / Kondo / Morita / G Miyazaki]
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What does Marcellus Wallace look like? (the perfect answer will reference the relevant Pulp Fiction quote)
HE’S BLACK / HE’S BALD [bonus point for writing that ‘he doesn’t look like a bitch’ / minus one point for writing ‘what’]
2. Who wrote the novel that Requiem For A Dream is based on? [bonus point for naming the book it was based on]
HUBERY SELBY JNR [Requiem For A Dream]
3. How many actors in 1935’s Mutiny On The Bounty were nominated for the Best Actor In A Leading Role Oscar?
4. At one point in the 1966 Batman movie, (starring Adam West) Batman and Robin are magnetically attached to a buoy with no chance of escape as a torpedo advances toward them. The next scene depicts the dynamic duo racing away in the bat-boat, whilst Batman explains how they avoided the torpedo. How did they escape?
A PORPOISE SWAM IN THE WAY, SACRIFICING ITSELF SO THEY COULD GET AWAY
5. The 1985 film Clue was released in cinemas with three different endings. Which of the original board game characters did not actually kill anyone?
MR. GREEN (based on Rev. Green)
6. At the start of Memento, Leonard (played by Guy Pearce) says his last name. What is it?
7. In the Pixar film, Up, what does the bottle cap on Carl’s jacket say?
8. Which of the following is the MGM motto, featured on their logo? Ars Longa Vita Brevis (Art Is Long, Life Is Short)? Ars Grata Artis (Art For Art’s Sake)? Justus Valde Ars (Just Great Art)? [2 bonus points for identifying what it means]
ARS GRATA ARTIS [Art For Art’s Sake]
9. The fire-station that was used as the Ghostbusters headquarters was remodelled and used as a mechanic’s ten years later in which film?
10. Which film poster featured the tagline ‘Catch It’?
SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER
11. What was the major difference between the comic book and film interpretation of Peter Parker’s transformation to Spiderman?
12. The three lead characters of the Pirates Of The Caribbean series (Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner) are all nods to the real life William Turner who lived in the 16th Century; what was his profession?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which US State do the Joad family move from in The Grapes Of Wrath? California? Oklahoma? Idaho?
2. In the film Amadeus, the first time we see Mozart, he plays a tune on a harpsichord, then again on a violin all whilst blindfolded, for whom? The Archbishop Of Salzburg? Emperor Joseph II? Pope Clement XIV
POPE CLEMENT XIV
3. Which of the Bratz characters controversially shares a name with a popular brand of birth control pills? Sasha? Jade? Yasmin?
4. Which planet does Shepherd Book reside on in Joss Whedon’s Serenity? Beaumonde? Haven? Miranda?
5. In which 1945 film does Gene Tierney play a insanely paranoid woman who marries an author and attempts to push everyone out of his life? Leave Her To Heaven? The Wicked Lady? Without Love?
LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN
6. Who composed the score for Apollo 13? James Horner? Hans Zimmer? John Williams?
7. The exterior shots of the Camden flat in Withnail & I were shot in which London borough? Camden? Kensington & Chelsea? Newham?
KENSINGTON & CHELSEA (Notting Hill to be precise)
8. What colour is Amelie’s apartment? Green? Red? Blue?
RED (most of the rooms depicted are painted red)
9. What exactly is the baby in 1938’s Bringing Up Baby? Parrot? Leopard? Sea Lion?
10. In Night Of The Hunter, how much did the children’s father steal from the bank? $10,000? $20,000? $30,000?
TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS
11. What was the name of the ship Carl Denham hires in King Kong (1933)? Explorer? Venture? Regatta?
12. The sixth month old twins playing Elora in 1988’s Willow didn’t have hair so wigs were required. However, as the normal adhesive would have damaged their skin, they used tree sap instead. True or False?
FALSE (they used syrup)