[08 November 2009]
Last Man Standing
Genre – Thriller
Girls Aloud & The Tetanus Jab.. Of Death
Genre – Kid’s Eco-Thriller
Pop Quiz Hot Shots
Genre – Action Dogme
Four Hours Sleep
Genre – Sci-Fi Documentary
Deader-er: Because Deader Wasn’t Dead Enough
Genre – Bad Horror Sequel Sequel
Genre – World Cinema
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What does Randy ‘The Ram’ Robinson do for a living in The Wrestler?
2. How many monkeys are present on the poster for Terry Gilliam’s Twelve Monkeys?
3. Which Catherine Hardwicke film stars both Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson?
4. Which drug is used heavily by the central characters of Trainspotting?
5. What type of factory does Benjamin inherit in The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button?
6. Who played Spartacus? [five points deducted for writing “I’m Spartacus!”]
7. Jack Nicholson plays the President Of The United States in which Tim Burton film?
8. What did the Greeks use to infiltrate the walls of Troy in the film of the same name?
A WOODEN HORSE
9. By what name is the planet Arrakis more commonly known?
10. What colour was Thelma & Louise’s Ford Thunderbird in the film of the same name?
BLUE (additional point if TEAL is written)
11. What four words did Tom Cruise famously shout down the phone to Cuba Gooding Jnr. in Jerry Maguire?
SHOW ME THE MONEY
12. The Count Of Monte Cristo is based on the book of the same name by which author?
ROUND II: Filming
1. During which military conflict is Sam Mendes’ Jarhead set?
THE GULF WAR (Part I)
2. In which city does 2008’s Taken take place?
3. How many films has George Clooney directed? [bonus points for naming them]
THREE (Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind / Good Night And Good Luck / Leatherheads)
4. In Meet Joe Black, Brad Pitt plays death. Who plays the elderly gentleman he has come to collect?
5. Name each of the three fairy Godmothers in Sleeping Beauty.
MISTRESS FLORA / FAUNA / MERRYWEATHER
6. Which sport/pastime is the centre point of 1961’s The Hustler?
7. Which Crystal Maze presenter played the stranger named Mr. Hand in Dark City?
8. How many Academy Award nominations did Match Point receive? [bonus point for naming which category it was nominated for]
ONE (for Best Original Screenplay …and it didn’t win)
9. Which actors played the eponymous Three Kings in the 1999 film of the same name? [one point for each correct answer]
GEORGE CLOONEY / MARK WAHLBERG / ICE CUBE
10. What was Ed Crane’s profession in the Coen’s film, The Man Who Wasn’t There?
11. Which of the actors in 2003’s School Of Rock is not an actual musician? [actor/character name not necessary, just instrument]
KATIE (bassist played by Rebecca Brown)
12. Which of the following directors produced Memoirs Of A Geisha: Steven Spielberg? Francis Ford Coppola? Martin Scorsese?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The Three Musketeers (1921 / 1973 / 1993). Who played D’Artagnan in each release? [one point for each correct answer]
DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS (1921) / MICHAEL YORK (1973) / CHRIS O’DONNELL (1993)
2. Which famous British drummer cameos as Inspector Good in the opening scenes of Hook?
3. During The Machinist, Reznik is reading what book? [bonus point for correctly naming the author]
THE IDIOT [Fyodor Dostoyevsky]
4. In Sunset Boulevard Gloria Swanson is seen playing bridge with three other famous silent-movie actors. Anna Q. Nilsson, H.B. Warner and whom else?
5. Which film afforded James Cagney his only Oscar?
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
6. Of the cast of 2004’s Closer, who was the only member of the cast to have previously starred in the stage play? Clive Owen, Julia Roberts, Jude Law, Natalie Portman?
7. What type of investigative cases does Mike Hammer specialise in, in Kiss Me Deadly?
8. How many times does Robert De Niro say “You talkin’ to me?” throughout his monologue in Taxi Driver?
FOUR (the exact quote is: Don’t try it, you fucker. You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me? You talkin’ to me? Well, who the hell else are you talkin’ to? You talkin’ to me? Well, I’m the only one here. Who the fuck do you think you’re talkin’ to?)
9. In 1974, Stanley Kubrick approached Marisa Berenson and explained only that he was filming a period drama and that she was to remain out of the sun for the months before filming, to achieve the necessary pallor and tone. What was the film?
10. Which Paul Thomas Anderson film followed Boogie Nights and preceded Punch-Drunk Love?
11. By what name is actor Kong-Sang Chan more commonly known?
12. What make of car did Detective Trupo (played by Josh Brolin) drive in American Gangster?
’66 SHELBY MUSTANG
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Why is Chava considered ‘dead’ to Tevye in Fiddler On The Roof? She Embarrassed Him In Public? She Stole The Neighbour’s Baby? She Married A Man Who Wasn’t Jewish?
SHE MARRIED A MAN WHO WASN’T JEWISH
2. What are the names of the two main gangs in West Side Story? Blades & Greasers? Jets & Sharks? Hair & Muscles?
JETS & SHARKS
3. What was the name of 50 Cent’s cinematic acting debut? Get Rich Or Die Tryin’? Streets Of Blood? Foo, I Will Murder You!?
GET RICH OR DIE TRYIN’
4. What is John Dillinger’s nickname for his girlfriend, Bille, in Public Enemies? Blackbird? Raven? Sparrow?
5. The Money Pit saw which award winning actor spending ridiculous amounts of cash refurbishing his lemon of a mansion in the mid-eighties? Denzel Washington? Tom Hanks? Billy Crystal?
6. What two colours can be found on the explosive gum in Mission: Impossible? Red & Blue? Blue & Green? Green & Red?
GREEN & RED
7. Girl With A Pearl Earring focuses on the life of which Dutch artist? Rembrandt? Vermeer? Jan Van Aken?
8. Who wrote the screenplay for 1954’s A Star Is Born? Moss Hart? Robert Anderson? Clifford Odets?
9. How many weeks did it take to film the title sequence of 1948’s The Red Shoes? Two? Four? Six?
10. Angela’s Ashes chronicles the childhood of Frank McCourt but in which Irish county is it set? Limerick? Galway? Cork?
11. In which film did Audrey Hepburn say “I’ve a right to sell flowers if I keep off the kerb”? My Fair Lady? Sabrina? Funny Face?
MY FAIR LADY
12. Which of the following actors is not Candaian? Jim Carrey? Keanu Reeves? Philip Seymour Hoffman?
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN [Fairpoint, New York] (Jim Carrey – Ontario, Canada / Keanu Reeves – although born in Beirut, Lebanon, Reeves is a naturalised Canadian citizen)