[13 September 2009]
Beyond The Deep Freeze
Genre – Environmental Thriller
She Died Putting Boots On
Genre – Murder Comedy
Tim Burton Stole My Monkey!
Genre – Zoological Comedy Thriller With Historical Reference
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The Great Gatsby, starring Robert Redford, is an adaptation of which book by F. Scott Fitzgerald?
THE GREAT GATSBY
2. On his tour of Vietnam where was Forrest Gump shot?
IN THE BUTTOCKS
3. A Man For All Seasons focuses on the life of which British monarch?
KING HENRY VIII
4. What weapon of preference does Michael Myers wield in the Halloween films?
5. The 1987 adaptation of Cyrano De Bergerac, Roxanne, sees Steve Martin adorn what facial prosthetic?
6. Stuart Little is what animal?
7. According to Gremlins, feeding a Mogwai after midnight will cause it to mutate into its more gruesome state – but exposure to what causes them to multiply?
8. To hide its true nature, the infamous treasure in The Maltese Falcon is coated in what colour paint?
9. In Harvey, Elwood Dowd’s six foot, three and a half inches tall best friend is what?
10. Which two actors wrote and starred in Good Will Hunting, later going on to win an Oscar for their work?
BEN AFFLECK & MATT DAMON
11. In Top Gun, Tom Cruise’s call-sign is Maverick. What is Val Kilmer’s?
12. Diarios De Motocicleta (The Motorcycle Diaries) focuses on the life of which famous revolutionary?
ERNESTO ‘CHE’ GUEVARA
ROUND II: Filming
1. In Home Alone, Kevin McCalister’s brother, Buzz, owns a pet what?
2. What was the name of the fisherman in Jaws played by Robert Shaw?
3. Which composer wrote the score for Out Of Africa?
4. What service does Vera Drake provide in the film of the same name?
5. In which film did Lauren Bacall say, “You know how to whistle don’t you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow”?
TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT
6. What does Ralphie want for Christmas in the 1984 cult film A Christmas Story?
BB GUN / AIR RIFLE
7. Tom Cruise starred in a remake of the Spanish film, Abre Los Ojos. What was his version called?
8. Which three syllable chant does Al Pacino shout to the crowds in Dog Day Afternoon?
9. What was the name of the villain voiced by Jason Lee in The Incredibles?
10. In 1979’s Kramer Vs Kramer, Meryl Streep plays Billy Kramer’s mother. Who plays his father?
11. Throughout his career, Humphrey Bogart won only one Oscar. Which film afforded him the winning nomination?
THE AFRICAN QUEEN
12. Which actor plays the director of the Precrime division of the Washington DC Police in Steven Spielberg’s Minority Report?
MAX VON SYDOW
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. In which year did Walt Disney create Mickey Mouse? (or phrased differently – what year was Steamboat Willie released?)
2. At the very start of Ghostbusters Venkman, Stantz and Spengler lose their jobs at which New York university?
3. What was the name of the androids in Blade Runner? [bonus point for naming the exact series name]
REPLICANTS [Nexus Series]
4. A 1985 adaptation was so highly anticipated that auditions for various roles had to be held using the code ‘Moon Song.’ What was the film’s actual title?
THE COLOUR PURPLE
5. In Glengarry Glen Ross, Alec Baldwin explains that there are three prizes to the monthly sales contest. The first place prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. The second prize is a set of steak knives. What is the third?
“THIRD PRIZE IS YOU’RE FIRED”
6. During the knife fight between Jim & Buzz in Rebel Without A Cause, real switchblades were used. How measures were taken to ensure the actors’ protection?
FITTED WITH CHAINMAIL UNDER VESTS
7. What two words are tattooed on Reverend Harry Powell’s hand in Night Of The Hunter?
LOVE / HATE
8. What type of flower does Chris Cooper’s character steal in Adaptation?
9. Six Rocky films, four big-title opponents. Name them.
APOLLO CREED [Rocky + Rocky II], CLUBBER LANG [Rocky III], IVAN DRAGO [Rocky IV], MASON DIXON [Rocky Balboa]
10. The film Austin Powers: Goldmember, opens on a star-studded spoof featuring Tom Cruise as Austin Powers and which actor as Dr. Evil?
11. What item of Jewellery does Ringo possess but cannot seem to get rid of in The Beatles film, Help?
12. What word does Sam Wheat use to prove his identity to Molly Jensen in Ghost?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was the name of the wolf Kevin Costner befriended in Dances With Wolves? Longshanks? Two Socks? Boy?
2. In An American In Paris, Jerry Mulligan is trying to make a living as what? Painter? Pianist? Singer?
3. During filming of 1986′ Name Of The Rose, the historical advisor commented on a particular anachronism, demanding that it be dyed for the film; what was out-of-place? A Heraldry Shield? An Actor’s Hair? A Pig?
PIG [apparently there no pink pigs in that area at the time and the crew were required to dye them black]
4. In Angelheart Robert De Niro’s character comments that the soul is much like which particular food? An Onion? An Egg? An Apple?
5. The ENCOM system and ‘bad guy’ of Tron is called the MCP. What does MCP stand for? Master Computer Program? Master Creator Program? Master Control Program?
MASTER CONTROL PROGRAM
6. Which of the three lead actors in Goodfellas won an Oscar for their role? Joe Pesci? Robert De Niro? Ray Liotta?
7. Terrence Malick’s The Thin Red Line featured a wealth of famous actors. Which of the following did not star in the theatrical cut? George Clooney? Jared Leto? Paul Giamatti?
8. After starring in The Predator, alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jesse Ventura went on to become the Governor of which US State? Michigan? Minnesota? Maryland?
9. In The Terminal, Tom Hanks is stranded in which airport? Dallas Fort Worth? Chicago O’Hare? JFK International?
10. During one particular scene in the film Leon, Matilda impersonates four stars. Which one does Leon correctly identify? Marilyn Monroe? Gene Kelly? Charlie Chaplin? [bonus point for naming who Leon dressed up as]
GENE KELLY [John Wayne]
11. According to Richard Attenborough’s film, what were Gandhi’s last words? Oh God! I’m shot! Not like this!
12. In La Cite Des Enfants Perdus (The City Of Lost Children), Krank is kidnapping children in order to specifically do what? Harvest their organs? Steal their dreams? Start a band?
STEAL THEIR DREAMS
Maximum Potential Points:
ROUND I: 13
ROUND II: 12
ROUND III: 17
ROUND IV: 13
After the first ever tie-breaker scenario, Matt Stogdon [rRh] was forced to produce sudden-death
questions off the top of his head. These are as follows:
TIE BREAKER ROUND
1. How many films make up the ‘Carry On’ series?
2. What instrument does Mathilde Donnay play in Un Long Dimanche De Fiancailles (A Very Long Engagement)?
3. How many members make up the league of gentlemen in the 1960 release of the same name (including Jack Hawkins)?
4. Which actor played the supposed series writer in The League Of Gentlemen’s Apocalypse
5. How many Oscars has Jack Nicholson won?