[24 March 2019]
Genre – Men meet in bar basements, put Mentos in Diet Coke but quickly forget the mess
A Bootiful Mind
Genre – Bernard Matthews controls people’s minds with turkey.. or does he?
This Team Name Is Best [Citation Needed]
Genre – Lies! All lies!
Genre – A tale told in three differing ways by your humble droog narrators, oh my sisters and brothers
Street Shiter XIV
Genre – Franchise feature
The Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down
Genre – A movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty and if its speed dropped, it would explode!
We Can Reliably Finish, Not Reliably Place
Genre – Comedy of errors
Lord Of The Party Rings
Genre – Michael Flatley based pornography
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Who directed John Carpenter’s The Thing?
2. Who directed the Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings trilogies?
3. What is the full title of the most recent Wizarding World feature?
FANTASTIC BEASTS: The CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD
4. V’s mask in V For Vendetta resembles which historical figure?
5. The following were the poster taglines for which film, “The future belongs to the mad” and “What a lovely day”?
MAD MAX FURY ROAD
6. Who co-starred alongside Nicolas Cage in The Rock?
7. What colour is Gamora’s skin in Guardians Of The Galaxy?
8. Which Frank Darabont film features Tim Robbins sent to prison for a crime he didn’t commit?
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
9. The following quote is from which film, “If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium and you’re already dead. Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity”?
10. Who played the lead role in 1938’s The Adventures Of Robin Hood?
ROUND II: Filming [Unreliable Narrators]
1. “Du musst Caligari werden/you must become Caligari” was the poster tagline for which silent film? Nosferatu? Schatten? The Cabinet Of Dr Caligari?
THE CABINET OF DR CALIGARI
2. Which of the following did not appear in A Beautiful Mind? Christopher Plummer? Ed Harris? Bill Paxton?
3. In Fight Club, what is the name of the group Tyler forms after Fight Club? Project Mayhem? Operation Chaos? Mission Extreme?
4. Atonement is set during which war? World War I? World War II? The Korean War?
WORLD WAR II
5. According to Kint’s story in The Usual Suspects, where is Keyser Soze from? Turkey? Albania? Denmark?
6. How does Dietrichson die in Double Indemnity? Pushed from a train? Strangled in a car? Shot in the bath?
STRANGLED IN A CAR
7. The following quote is from which film, “This is a mental institution for the criminally insane. Usual isn’t a big part of our day”? The Perks Of Being A Wallflower? Shutter Island? Sucker Punch?
8. Which of the following did not appear in the 2002 wuxia film Hero? Chow Yun-fat? Donnie Yen? Jet Li?
9. In I, Tonya, what is the name of the skating move that Tonya Harding is the first female athlete to perform in competition? Two triple Axel jumps? A quadruple Salchow jump? Three double Euler jumps?
TWO TRIPLE AXEL JUMPS
10. Rashomon is credited as the first film that pointed a camera directly at the sun. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The upcoming Dark Phoenix will be Fox’s nth X-Men title?
TWELFTH (X, X2, X3, X-Origins, X-First Class, Wolverine, X-DOFP, Deadpool, X-Apocalypse, Logan, DP2)
2. The following quote is from which film, “I foresee you will become a much wiser man than I”?
STAR WARS: EPISODE I – THE PHANTOM MENACE
3. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “You don’t get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies”?
THE SOCIAL NETWORK
4. What is the name of Ian Holm’s character in Alien?
5. In Toy Story 2, Al’s Toy Barn has TV adverts with Al McWhiggin dressed as what?
6. How many times has Graham Greene’s The Quiet American been adapted for cinema?
TWO (1958 / 2002)
7. Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride was released in which year?
8. Which two actors played the lead roles in 2014’s The Theory Of Everything? (one point per correct answer)
EDDIE REDMAYNE / FELICITY JONES
9. Jeff Bridges has been nominated for seven acting Oscars but has only won one – in which movie?
10. Which 2012 film starred Chris Pine, Tom Hardy and Reese Witherspoon?
THIS MEANS WAR
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Excluding the upcoming Aladdin, how many films has Guy Ritchie directed to date? 7? 9? 11?
NINE (Lock Stock, Snatch, Swept Away, Revolver, RocknRolla, Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock 2, Man From UNCLE, King Arthur)
2. What does Indio use during duels in For A Few Dollars More? A pocket watch? A shard of mirror? An empty can?
A POCKET WATCH
3. Argo is set in which year? 1965? 1979? 1983?
4. How many directors were credited on 1962’s The Longest Day? 3? 4? 5?
THREE (Ken Annakin, Andrew Marton, Bernhard Wicki to cover the British/French, American and German scenes)
5. M Night Shyamalan has written two films that he did not direct. Which of the following isn’t one of them? She’s All That? Stuart Little? Galaxy Quest?
6. The majority of Lilo & Stitch is set on which Hawaiian island? Kaua’i? Maui? Ni’ihau?
7. What colour is Ricky Bobby’s car in Talladega Nights? Red? White? Blue?
8. What was Edge Of Tomorrow renamed as when it went to DVD/Blu-Ray? Battle Angel? Live Die Repeat? All You Need Is Kill?
LIVE DIE REPEAT
9. In An Officer And A Gentleman, Zack Mayo is an officer candidate for which military service? Navy? Airforce? Army?
10. Hans Zimmer composed the respective scores for all the Pirates Of The Caribbean films. True or False?
FALSE (Dead Men Tell No Tales / Salazar’s Revenge was composed by Geoff Zanelli)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Point Break / Little Buddha / Much Ado About Nothing / The Matrix: Reloaded
Poster: My Own Private Idaho
Actor: Keanu Reeves