[04 November 2018]
A Super Mario All-Stars Is Born
Genre – The video-game/musical adaptation that Bob Hoskins should have starred in
Super Smashed Bros
Genre – After a heavy night of experimenting with various mushrooms, Mario and Luigi wake up the next morning and can’t remember anything nor can they find toad and Princess Peach is being held to ransom as Bowser has a video of their messy escapades
Genre – Film about Pac-Man with additional loot box marketing
Genre – Hippies explore their bodies and the music of Queen
Genre – Action
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito play twins in which 1988 film?
2. John Carter, The Space Between Us, Total Recall and Red Planet are all about which planet?
3. Benedict Cumberbatch plays which superhero in the MCU?
4. What is the name of the 1964 musical in which Julie Andrews plays a nanny?
5. Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi played which fictional brothers?
THE BLUES BROTHERS
6. The following quote is from which film, “I’m funny how? I mean funny like I’m a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh”?
7. Who directed The Prestige?
8. Who played the respective title roles in 2000’s Charlie’s Angels? (one point per correct answer)
CAMERON DIAZ / DREW BARRYMORE / LUCY LIU
9. William S Preston and Theodore Logan are the lead characters in which franchise?
BILL & TED
10. Which actor was nicknamed The Duke?
ROUND II: Filming [Video Game Adaptations Special]
1. What was the title of the first cinematic video game adaptation? Super Mario Sunshine? Super Mario World? Super Mario Bros?
SUPER MARIO BROS
2. Who played the title role in Max Payne? Bryan Cranston? Mark Wahlberg? Keanu Reeves?
3. Lara Croft: Tomb Raider was released in which year? 1999? 2001? 2003? [bonus point for Tomb Raider’s release year]
4. Which of the following survival horror games did not get a cinematically released sequel? Resident Evil? Alone In The Dark? Silent Hill?
ALONE IN THE DARK
5. The following quote is from which mid-90s film, “Something wrong, Colonel? You came here prepared to fight a madman and instead you found a God”? Street Fighter? Mortal Kombat? Double Dragon?
6. What was the subtitle of Prince Of Persia? Shadow And Flame? The Two Thrones? The Sands Of Time?
THE SANDS OF TIME
7. What is the name of the assassin played by Timothy Olyphant in Hitman? Agent 21? Agent 47? Agent 99?
8. How many video game adaptations have featured The Rock? 1? 2? 3?
TWO (Doom, Rampage)
9. Which historical explorer does Aguilar give the Apple of Eden to, for safe-keeping, in Assassin’s Creed? Ferdinand Magellan? Christopher Columbus? Hernan Cortes?
10. To date, Warcraft is the most financially successful video game adaption. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is the name of Harrison Ford’s character in The Fugitive?
2. Al Pacino won his only Oscar for which film?
SCENT OF A WOMAN
3. Dougray Scott played the lead villain in which Mission: Impossible film?
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II
4. When released as a single film (rather than in two parts), what was the subtitle of Kill Bill?
THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR
5. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “You can erase someone from your mind. Getting them out of your heart is another story”?
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
6. What is Luke’s X-Wing callsign in the Star Wars: A New Hope?
7. Spinners is the name given to the flying cars in which film?
8. At its time of release, Titanic had a record budget. What was it?
9. Which actor appeared in Lawrence Of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago and Cromwell?
10. The following quote is from which film, “When the place was built in 1907, there was very little interest in winter sports. And this site was chosen for its seclusion and scenic beauty”
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Whose directorial debut was Delicatessen? Jean -Pierre Jeunet? Lenny Abrahamson? Guillermo Del Toro?
JEAN PIERRE JEUNET
2. Jim, Judy and Plato are the lead characters in which film? The Perks Of Being A Wallflower? Say Anything? Rebel Without A Cause?
REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE
3. In (500) Days Of Summer Tom and Summer go to watch a film and it is revealed that he has always misinterpreted the ending. What is the film? Lost In Translation? The Graduate? Casablanca?
4. In 2006 Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench, Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet lost out to which actor for the best leading actress Oscar? Charlize Theron? Helen Mirren? Sandra Bullock?
5. Christopher Walken’s character in Batman Returns is named after the actor Max Schreck, who starred in which silent film? Metropolis? Nosferatu? Battleship Potemkin?
6. Which Disney animated film was released in 1964? The Rescuers? Alice In Wonderland? The Sword In The Stone?
THE SWORD IN THE STONE
7. Alec Baldwin, Harrison Ford, Chris Pine and Ben Affleck have all portrayed which character? Father Christmas? Jack Ryan? Mark Anthony?
8. How many films have Denzel Washington and Spike Lee worked together on? 2? 4? 6?
9. Which of the following actors is not Canadian? Sam Rockwell? Michael J Fox? Ryan Gosling?
10. Johnny Depp and Charlize Theron starred in a 1999 film about an alien who possess an astronaut. True or False?
TRUE (The Astronaut’s Wife)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Sphere / Chicago / Ice Age: The Meltdown / 22 Jump Street
Poster: Stranger Than Fiction
Actor: Queen Latifah