[18 December 2016]
The Beautiful French Romance
Genre – Romantic niceness
Genre – A man’s search for comfortable shoes
Derriere Exports: A Christmas Tail
Genre – C’est un histoire des Francais culs
Maintenant J’Avoir Une Pistole Gun Oui-Oui-Oui
Genre – Surreal Belgian comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The Polar Express is the name of a train in which film?
THE POLAR EXPRESS
2. The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe is an instalment in which franchise?
THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA
3. Who played the lead role in It’s A Wonderful Life?
4. Ron Howard directed Jim Carrey in which Christmas film?
5. The Mandarin is the villain in which Marvel film?
IRON MAN THREE
6. Reece Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn starred in which Christmas film?
7. What two colours make up Buddy’s outfit in Elf? (one point per correct answer)
GREEN / YELLOW
8. Who plays Father Christmas in Fred Claus?
9. What is the name of Jack Skellington’s dog, in The Nightmare Before Christmas?
10. The Muppet Christmas Carol was released in which year?
ROUND II: Filming [French Films Special]
1. What is Amelie’s surname in the film of the same name? Renoir? Poulain? Lafitte?
2. La Haine was released in which year? 1992? 1995? 1998?
3. Who played the lead role in My Afternoons With Marguerite? Omar Sy? Jean Dujardin? Gerard Depardieu?
4. Who directed The 400 Blows? Francois Truffaut? Jean-Luc Godard? Bertrand Blier?
5. Which character has blue hair in Blue Is The Warmest Colour? Emma? Lise? Adele?
6. What was the title of the 1993 remake of Nikita starring Bridget Fonda? Deadly Impact? Female Assassin? Point Of No Return?
POINT OF NO RETURN
7. Why do the police refuse to assist the Laurent family with the surveillance tapes that turn up in Cache? There are too many tapes being sent out for them all to be processed? They do not contain a clear threat? Georges Laurent’s wrote an editorial about police corruption?
THEY DO NOT CONTAIN A CLEAR THREAT
8. 1928’s The Passion Of Joan Of Arc was radical for its unconventional camera angles, close-ups and lighting. What else did director Carl Theodor Dreyer insist on? The actors were not allowed to wear make-up? The concrete set be built on a wheel to rotate as the sun moved across the sky? The French actors playing the judges were told to speak in English, despite being a silent film?
THE ACTORS WERE NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR MAKE-UP
9. La Voyage Dans La Lune was filmed in 1902 but a surviving hand-coloured version of the film wasn’t discovered until which year? 1955? 1993? 2010?
10. For one scene from L’année dernière à Marienbad, shadows were painted on the ground to give a surreal impression of lighting. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which film featured the following quote, “What are you doing creeping around a cow shed at two o’clock in the morning? That doesn’t sound very wise to me”
MONTY PYTHON’S LIFE OF BRIAN
2. How many rules are there for caring for Mogwai in Gremlins?
THREE (Never expose it to bright light, never get it wet, never feed it after midnight)
3. Sam Lowry is the lead character in which film?
4. Which Christmas film featured Viggo Mortenson, Vincent Cassel and Naomi Watts?
5. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “Five saints, two boys and millions of pounds”?
6. Home Alone was produced by which studio?
20TH CENTURY FOX
7. How many of In Bruges‘ cast feature in the Harry Potter series?
8. Who directed Scrooged?
9. In Rise Of The Guardians, what is the name of the Father Christmas character?
10. In Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone, what mystery Christmas gift does Harry receive?
CLOAK OF INVISIBILITY
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. The animatronic snowman in Jack Frost was modelled to resemble the lead actor. Due to scheduling conflicts, said actor was replaced by Michael Keaton. Who was the original lead? George Clooney? Robin Williams? Will Smith?
2. The following quote is from which film, “Watch your mouth. It’s Christmastime, so let’s act like it”? Rare Exports? Ghostbusters II? Bad Santa?
3. How many Lethal Weapon films are set at Christmas? 1? 3? 4?
4. What was the title of the novel Die Hard was adapted from? The Spectre? Nothing Lasts Forever? The Wrong Place At The Wrong Time?
NOTHING LASTS FOREVER
5. Which of the following is not set at Christmas? The Proposition? The Iron Giant? Edward Scissorhands?
THE IRON GIANT
6. The Thin Man was released in which year? 1934? 1958? 1987?
7. Which of the following did not feature in LA Confidential? David Strathairn? James Cromwell? Stanley Tucci?
8. What is the name of Turbo Man’s sidekick in Jingle All The Way? Rocketeer? Booster? Jet?
9. The director of the 1974 horror Black Christmas also directed which other Christmas film? The Santa Clause? A Christmas Story? Sleepless In Seattle?
A CHRISTMAS STORY
10. Despite not being set at Christmas Die Hard: With A Vengeance contains three references to Christmas. True or False?
TRUE (Simon mockingly describes one of his ‘pigeons’ as Santa Claus, kid caught stealing says “It’s Christmas you could steal City Hall” and McClane poses as aqueduct security looking for a guy with eight reindeer)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: A Christmas Carol / Love, Actually / Deck The Halls / Just Friends
Poster: The Holiday
Actor: Chevy Chase