[13 March 2016]
War! Movies It’s Good For!
Genre – Absolutely nothing – the ultimate prize of all wars revealed in a metaphysical documentary
Shaving Ryan’s Privates II: Let The Waxing Commence
Genre – It all goes down in a war-porn city
The Dogs Of Whore
Genre – Waaaar!!!
The Bridge Over The River Wensum
Genre – The tragic story of three brave souls who built the bridge from riverside to the waterfront
Genre – Slutty Spielberg’s Best Picture
Shaving Ryan’s Privates
Genre – WWII porn based in Northern France
Genre – A Disney film about a bomb disposal robot who falls in love with Jeremy Renner
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the spy portrayed by Rowan Atkinson in the Johnny English films?
2. 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure all belong to which genre?
3. How many Night At The Museum films were made?
4. 8 Mile tells a largely fictionalised interpretation of which rapper’s origins?
EMINEM / MARSHALL MATHERS
5. Who directed Bad Boys and its sequel?
6. Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Christine Taylor, Alan Tudyk and Justin Long starred in which film?
7. The Queen, starring Helen Mirren, was released in which year?
8. The following is a quote from which film, “I love lamp”?
9. Which film starred Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson?
10. What was the subtitle of the second Tomb Raider film?
CRADLE OF LIFE
ROUND II: Filming [War special]
1. **7000th question asked!** Vietnam War: What is the title of Francis Ford Coppola’s Vietnam war film? Platoon? Dead Presidents? Apocalypse Now?
2. WWII: 1962’s The Longest Day is set during which military conflict? World War II? Spanish-American War? The Cold War?
WORLD WAR II
3. Napoleonic War: Which Carry On film is set during the Napoleonic War? Carry On Henry? Carry On Jack? Carry On Dick?
CARRY ON JACK
4. Anglo-Zulu War: Zulu, starring Stanley Baker and Michael Caine was released in which year? 1958? 1964? 1971?
5. WWI: In Gallipoli, Archie and Frank (played by Mark Lee and Mel Gibson) are dispatched to the trenches in which country? Egypt? Belgium? Italy?
6. US Civil War: Which of the following did not appear in the four and a half hour long Gettysburg? Patrick Stewart? George Lazenby? Martin Sheen?
7. Gulf War: In The Devil’s Double, Dominic Cooper plays both the roll of Latif Yahia and which of Saddam Hussein’s children? Uday? Qusay? Khairallah?
8. Cuban Revolution/Bolivian War: In both parts of Steven Soderbergh’s Che, Ernesto Guevara is afflicted by which medical condition? Migraines? Diabetes? Asthma?
9. Irish War of Independence: Finish the following quote from The Wind That Shakes The Barley, “The treaty does not express the will of the people”. But the will of the English? But the fear of the people? But our failure to produce a lasting resolve?
BUT THE FEAR OF THE PEOPLE
10. English Civil War: During filming of 1970’s Cromwell, Alec Guinness had a nervous breakdown and believed he was going to genuinely be executed as Charles I. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which seven actors played the title roles in The Magnificent Seven? (one point per correct answer)
YUL BRYNNER / STEVE MCQUEEN / CHARLES BRONSON / ROBERT VAUGHN / JAMES COBURN / HORST BUCHHOLZ / BRAD DEXTER
2. Rob Hawkins, Beth McIntyre and Hud are the lead characters in which 2008 science fiction monster film?
3. What was the first film to star both Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie?
MR AND MRS SMITH
4. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “There will be greed. There will be vengeance”?
THERE WILL BE BLOOD
5. Who directed Shallow Grave?
6. Bugsy Malone was released in which year?
7. In Match Point, Tennis professional Chris Wilton and his pupil Tom Hewett strike up a friendship based on their love of what?
8. The first and second rule of Fight Club are the same but how many rules are there in total?
9. Ben Affleck appeared in which Tom Clancy adaptation?
THE SUM OF ALL FEARS
10. What is the name of the lead character in 28 Days Later?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following films is the story of a long-distance rider taking part in the Ocean Of Fire race? The Black Stallion? Secretariat? Hidalgo?
2. Which actor played the role of Rory O’Shea, a wheelchair-bound young man suffering from Duchenne muscular dystrophy in Inside I’m Dancing? James McAvoy? Michael Fassbender? Nicholas Hoult?
3. The following quote is from which film, “If anything happens to me or my family, an accident, an accusation, anything, then first your son will disappear; his body will never be found. Then your wife. Her body will never be found. This is guaranteed”? Body Of Lies? Syriana? The Bourne Supremacy?
4. James Dean appeared in how many films before his death? Two? Three? Four?
THREE (plus four uncredited)
5. Dark City, I, Robot and Gods Of Egypt were all directed by whom? Alex Proyas? Stephan Elliott? Roland Emmerich?
6. Gus Van Sant’s Elephant tells the story of what? A corporation scamming a farming community out of drilling rights? An university student befriends a reclusive novelist? A school shooting massacre?
A SCHOOL SHOOTING MASSACRE
7. Which animal was Alan Parrish’s playing piece in Jumanji? Elephant? Monkey? Lion?
8. What is the name of the hacker in the anime Ghost In The Shell? The Laughing Man? The Individual Eleven? The Puppet Master?
THE PUPPET MASTER
9. What is the name for the police force that terminates runners in Logan’s Run? Sandmen? Watchmen? Minute Men?
10. During filming of the last scene of Leon, a thief robbed a nearby store, saw all the police set up outside a nearby building and decided to surrender.. to extras. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Tropic Thunder / Dallas Buyers Club / Reign Of Fire
Actor: Matthew McConaughey