[22 November 2015]
Dear Old Cagney Why Do You Weep? For The Lost Wondrous Years I Thought Were Mine To Keep
Genre – A dying James Cagney played by Martin Sheen reflects on his life
Genre – Café noir
Studio Ghibli Sandwich
Genre – Out of the steam came the Ghibli sandwich
Genre – Documentary
Genre – James Cagney uses a restaurant as a front for his grapefruit laundering scheme
White (House) Heat
Genre – What Clinton really got up to behind closed doors
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the lead character in Alfie?
2. The rebel alliance and the galactic empire are factions in which franchise?
3. United 93 is set on which day?
4. What is the name of the body-swap film which starred Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster (then later Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan)?
5. Who played the lead role in 2004’s Finding Neverland?
6. John Travolta and Nicolas Cage famously appeared as one another in which film?
7. The Last Emperor is Bertolucci’s biopic about the last Emperor of which country?
8. Who directed Mallrats, Dogma and Chasing Amy?
9. Which actor has played Louis de Ponte du Lac, Tyler Durden, Achilles, Jesse James and Lt Aldo Raine?
10. Yul Brynner and Charlton Heston starred alongside each other in which Bible epic?
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
ROUND II: Filming [James Cagney special]
1. The Public Enemy was released in which year? 1929? 1931? 1933?
2. James Cagney won his only Oscar for which film? The Irish In Us? Yankee Doodle Dandy? Man Of A Thousand Faces?
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
3. How does Plunkett redeem the actions that caused the death of his squad members in The Fighting 69th? Going to prison? Covering a live grenade? Donating his pay to the affected families?
COVERING A LIVE GRENADE
4. Cagney has only appeared in one Shakespearean adaptation. Which one? All’s Well That Ends Well? Henry IV Part 1? A Midsummer Night’s Dream?
A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM
5. Which of the following co-starred with Cagney in The Roaring Twenties? Tyrone Power? Claude Rains? Humphrey Bogart?
6. What is Bert Harris (Cagney’s character) job in Blonde Crazy? Newspaper reporter? Professional boxer? Hotel bellboy?
7. In which film did Cagney say, “Made it, Ma! Top of the world!” White Heat? Winner Take All? Captains Of The Clouds?
8. What is the name of Cagney’s character in Taxi!? Matt Nolan? Buck Gerard? Pop Riley?
9. What was the title of Cagney’s final release, 20 years after he officially retired and five years before his death? Ragtime? The Gallant Hours? Shake Hands With The Devil?
10. The three lead actors in Angels With Dirty Faces (James Cagney, Pat O’Brien and Humphrey Bogart) were all born in 1899. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is the subtitle for Miss Congeniality 2?
ARMED AND FABULOUS
2. The following is a quote from which film, “The purpose is to experience fear, fear in the face of death. To accept that fear and maintain control of oneself and one’s crew”?
3. How many Childs Play movies have been made to date (including the 2013 direct to DVD sequel Curse Of Chucky)?
SIX (Child’s Play, Child’s Play 2, Child’s Play 3, Bride Of Chucky, Seed Of Chucky, Curse Of Chucky)
4. Which film starred Willem Dafoe, Forest Whitaker, Johnny Depp and Charlie Sheen?
5. How many cars is Pace contracted to steal in 1974’s Gone In 60 Seconds? [bonus point for the codename assigned to the yellow ’73 Ford Mustang that causes Pace difficulty]
FORTY EIGHT [Eleanor]
6. Sammy Jankis, Teddy Gammell and Leonard Shelby are characters in which Christopher Nolan film?
7. In which film does Jennifer Aniston play Joanna, a waitress in a restaurant called Chotchkie’s, where she is forced to wear pieces of flair as part of her uniform?
8. Who played the role of Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez in Highlander?
9. The following is the poster tagline for which 80s action film, “Soon the hunt will begin”?
10. How many feature films has David Fincher directed?
TEN (Alien 3, Seven, The Game, Fight Club, Panic Room, Zodiac, The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button, The Social Network, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Gone Girl)
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. James Bond works for which agency? MI5? MI6? MI7?
2. What is the name of Charlie Baileygate’s schizophrenic personality in Me, Myself & Irene? Harvey? Hank? Hal?
3. To save money on The Fountain, what did Darren Aronofsky use instead of computer generated effects? Cell animation? Macrophotography? Stop-motion?
4. 2010’s Buried, starring Ryan Reynolds was shot in which country? Egypt? Panama? Spain?
5. What is the name of Lone Starr’s ship in Spaceballs? Osprey 7? Hawk 2? Eagle 5?
6. How long does Derek spend in prison in American History X? 6 months? 1 year? 3 years?
7. Who played the lead role in 1996’s Fargo? Frances McDormand? Holly Hunter? Jennifer Jason Leigh?
8. In Gran Torino, Clint Eastwood’s character is of which European descent? Polish? Irish? French?
POLISH (Walt Kowalski)
9. Which of the following did not appear in Oliver Stone’s Wall Street? James Woods? James Spader? Martin Sheen?
10. The “any similarity to persons living or dead is purely coincidental” disclaimer that accompanies every film was introduced after a lawsuit with the man who killed Rasputin. True or False?
TRUE (Felix Yusupov’s claim against 1932’s Rasputin And The Empress)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Cold Mountain / Ted / Saving Private Ryan
Poster: Public Enemies
Actor: Giovanni Ribisi