[11 October 2015]
John Carpenter Of Mars
Genre – John Carpenter gets stranded on Mars with Jason Statham and they have to save the world
You Gotta Be Stogin’ Kidding!
Genre – A quiz team suspect their quizmaster may be more than he seems..
Genre – French New Wave
Steam Boat Willies
Genre – If you like boats and animated mice, you can’t go wrong
Plis-kin We Win?
Genre – Desperate sci-fi
Time Traveller’s Wives
Genre – Comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Scarface is a modernised remake of which 1932 film?
2. The following quote is from which film, “You’ve gotta ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky? Well do ya, punk”?
3. Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, Scooter and Bunsen Honeydew are characters in which franchise?
4. Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz first co-starred in which film?
THERE’S SOMETHING ABOUT MARY
5. What is the title of Will Smith’s only Western to date?
WILD WILD WEST
6. Spielberg’s The Terminal depicts Viktor Navorski confined to an airport in which US city?
7. What is the name of the possessed girl in The Exorcist?
8. A League Of Their Own is about which American sport?
9. What are the Coen Brothers’ first names (one point per correct answer)
JOEL / ETHAN
10. What is the subtitle to the second Captain America film?
THE WINTER SOLDIER
ROUND II: Filming [John Carpenter special]
1. Jeff Bridges starred in which John Carpenter movie? Christine? Starman? Prince Of Darkness?
2. Halloween was released in which year? 1976? 1978? 1980?
3. In They Live, what items does John find which allows him to see how the world really is? Goggles? Binoculars? Sunglasses?
4. How many times have John Carpenter and Kurt Russell worked together on feature films? 4? 5? 6?
5. Assault On Precinct 13 is an homage is two films. Which of the following is not one of them? Rio Bravo? Night Of The Living Dead? The Misfits?
6. Who played the lead role in Village Of The Damned? Christopher Reeve? Donald Pleasance? Sam Neill?
7. What is the name of Jack Burton’s truck in Big Trouble In Little China? The Pork Chop Express? The Orient Express? The Marco Polo Express?
THE PORK CHOP EXPRESS
8. What is the name of the sunken ship in The Fog? Anne Nord? Elizabeth Dane? Mary Fin?
9. How many Americans reside at the Antarctic research station in The Thing? 9? 12? 15?
TWELVE (MacReady, Childs, Blair, Garry, Nauls, Clark, Palmer, Norris, Copper, Bennings, Fuchs, Windows)
10. Escape From New York is Kurt Russell’s first and only writing credit. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What are the individual names of the Baldwin brothers (one point per correct answer)
ALEC / DANIEL / WILLIAM / STEPHEN
2. What are the respective titles of the two grindhouse movies directed by Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez? (one point per correct answer)
DEATH PROOF / PLANET TERROR
3. Who directed RoboCop, Starship Troopers and Black Book?
4. In A Fish Called Wanda, the sound of which language arouses Wanda? (one point per correct answer)
ITALIAN / RUSSIAN
5. What is the title of Christopher Nolan’s feature debut?
6. Which film starred Michael Douglas, Josh Brolin, Dennis Quaid, Viola Davis and Salma Hayek?
7. The following songs featured in which film: Just Around The Riverbend, Listen With Your Heart and Mine, Mine, Mine?
8. In Looper, who plays Abe, the gangster sent back from the future to manage the eponymous loopers?
9. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “They call themselves ***. The secret caves, the old lighthouse, the loot map, the treacherous traps, the hidden treasure. Join the adventure”?
10. The following quote is from which film, “Old McDonald had a farm, ee-ey-ee-ey-oh and on that farm he shot some guys bada bing, bada bing bang boom”?
THE USUAL SUSPECTS
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What are the codenames for the Command Module and Lunar Module in Apollo 13? Columbia and Eagle? Odyssey and Aquarius? Endeavour and Intrepid?
ODYSSEY AND AQUARIUS
2. In Finding Forrester, William Forrester (played by Sean Connery) is an author who won which prestigious award? Nobel prize? Pulitzer prize? Booker Prize?
3. Which of the following did not star in 1990’s Memphis Belle? Sean Astin? Ron Livingston? Billy Zane?
4. Jonesy, Beaver, Pete and Henry are the lead characters in which Stephen King adaptation? Thinner? Dreamcatcher? Stand By Me?
5. Michael Keaton and Nathan Fillion play which role respectively in the 1993 and 2012 adaptations of Much Ado About Nothing? Leonato? Dogberry? Don Pedro?
6. Which Universal Monsters film is set in Wales? Creature From The Black Lagoon? The Wolfman? The Invisible Man?
7. Who plays the title role in 2004’s The Life And Death Of Peter Sellers? Dustin Hoffman? Geoffrey Rush? Steve Coogan?
8. Which actor’s real name is Thomas Mapother? Tom Hiddleston? Tom Cruise? Tom Hardy?
9. Which of the following categories did Robert Rodriguez not receive a credit for on Sin City? Cinematographer? Art Director? Composer?
10. The musical score for Disney’s Sleeping Beauty features excerpts from Tchaikovsky’s ballet, Sleeping Beauty. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Toy Story 2 / Angels & Demons / Cloud Atlas
Poster: The Money Pit
Actor: Tom Hanks