[16 August 2015]
School Of Rock 2: Jack Black To The Future
Genre – Dewey Finn meets Marty McFly and they play ‘shredding’ guitar riffs
The Mediocre Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer
Genre – Four quiz team members help an octogenarian set up a Facebook account.. with sexy results
Genre – Comedy / horror
Double Basic Instinct
Genre – A double bass player must learn to finger his instrument and avoid the brown note
Fantastic Mr. Foxcatcher
Genre – Kid friendly Oscar bait
Genre – An Australian rom-com set over twenty four hours on a Sunday
The Good, The Bad And My Dad
Genre – Spaghetti western
Genre – Tarantino films / wanking
Steam Boat Willie
Genre – One mouse, his boat and a lot of toot toot
Natural Born Quizzers
Genre – Woody Harrelson’s nerd twin brother travels the land with a love for trivia, slapping people in the face with knowledge
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. How many characters make up the superhero team in Big Hero 6?
2. Who plays the title role in The 40 Year Old Virgin?
3. Who directed Casino, The Departed and Hugo?
4. 2002’s Treasure Planet is an animated film produced by which studio?
5. What was the title of the sequel to 28 Days Later?
28 WEEKS LATER
6. Chocolat is based in which country?
7. Austin Powers was frozen in which decade?
8. Atonement is set during which military conflict?
WORLD WAR II
9. Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves was released in which year?
10. Brandon Lee, star of The Crow, was the son of which martial arts actor?
ROUND II: Filming [Films With String Instruments]
1. Guitar: Who starred in the lead role in 2009’s Crazy Heart? John Goodman? Jeff Bridges? Steve Buscemi?
2. Sitar: What punctuation character is used in the title Moulin Rouge? Quotation Marks? Full Stop? Exclamation Mark?
3. Piano: How many kittens does Duchess have in 1970’s The Aristocats? Two? Three? Four?
4. Violin: What name is assigned to Solomon Northup in 12 Years A Slave? Platt? Epps? Ford?
5. Double Bass: Some Like It Hot takes place in which year? 1929? 1932? 1936?
6. Banjo: Who directed Deliverance? Peter Bogdanovich? Sam Peckinpah? John Boorman?
7. Mandolin: Which of the following did not appear in Captain Corelli’s Mandolin? Sam Neil? Christian Bale? John Hurt?
8. Cello: In The Soloist, Robert Downey Jnr’s character is a journalist for which newspaper? Chicago Tribune? LA Times? Washington Post?
9. Balalaika: What is the name of the character played in Alec Guinness in Dr Zhivago? Pasha Antipov? Victor Ipolitovich Komarovsky? Yevgraf Andreyevich Zhivago?
YEVGRAF ANDREYEVICH ZHIVAGO
10. Harp: Stanley Tucci is the only principal cast member in Jack The Giant Slayer who is not British. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. 2015 will see the release of a Mission: Impossible film and a James Bond film in the same year. Which other Mission: Impossible and James Bond films shared a release year? (one point per correct answer)
CASINO ROYALE / MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III (2006)
2. Who directed Moon and Source Code?
3. What is the name of the monkey in Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs? [bonus point for naming the actor who voiced him]
STEVE [Neil Patrick Harris]
4. The following quote is from which film, “I will never forget these words, ‘With great power comes great responsibility.’ This is my gift. This is my curse.”?
5. How many Final Destination films have been made to date?
6. What is the name of the lead character (played by Jonathan Rhys Meyers) in Woody Allen’s Match Point?
7. What were the respective release years of the original and remake of 3:10 To Yuma? (one point per correct answer)
1957 / 2007
8. Which actor appeared in Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans, Alexander, Red Planet and True Romance?
9. In which film did Tom Cruise play the role of Nathan Algren?
THE LAST SAMURAI
10. Which film featured Tom Hardy, Michael Gambon, Ben Whishaw and Daniel Craig?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What did Steven Spielberg direct in 2004? War Of The Worlds? The Terminal? Munich?
2. The following quote was said by which director, “The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent”? Christopher Nolan? Stanley Kubrick? George Lucas?
3. What is the name of the fashion magazine that Andrea Sachs works for in The Devil Wears Prada? Catwalk? Runway? Liberty?
4. In 1995’s Congo, what are the killer grey gorillas guarding? An oasis? A hospital? A diamond mine?
A DIAMOND MINE
5. What is Judy Garland’s real name? Betty Joan Perske? Frances Ethel Gumm? Norma Mortenson?
FRANCES ETHEL GUMM
6. What was the name of Robert Zemeckis’ 1978 debut release about Beatlemania? She Loves You? Can’t Buy Me Love? I Wanna Hold Your Hand?
I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND
7. Which of the following is not an adaptation of a Shakespearean play? A Thousand Acres (1997 starring Michelle Pfeiffer)? City Heat (1984 starring Clint Eastwood)? Yellow Sky (1948 starring Gregory Peck)?
CITY HEAT (A Thousand Acres – King Lear / Yellow Sky – The Tempest)
8. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “Some lines shouldn’t be crossed”? Flatliners? Walk The Line? The Thin Red Line?
9. Which actor appeared in The American President, Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past and Last Vegas? Michael Douglas? Kevin Kline? Morgan Freeman?
10. Revolutionary Road reunited four members of the Titanic cast, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Kathy Bates and Billy Zane. True or False?
FALSE (Zane did not feature in this film)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Terminator 2: Judgement Day / Gangster Squad / The Faculty
Poster: Cop Land
Actor: Robert Patrick