[12 April 2015]
Matt’s Oscar Rant
Genre – Matt picks some unworthy best picture winners and remakes them with Playdoh
Genre – Sequel to Zoolander with really, really ridiculously good looking people.. and Dave Grohl
O, Nick Where Art Thou?
Genre – A quiz team mourns the absence of their main quiz team name generator
Genre – Sci-fi superhero film
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the title to the sequel of The Raid?
THE RAID 2
2. What was the name of Dorothy’s dog in The Wizard Of Oz?
3. What colour are the minions’ dungarees in Despicable Me?
4. Man Of Steel tells the story of which superhero?
5. Jacques Clouseau is the name of the detective in which film franchise?
THE PINK PANTHER
6. Who played the lead role in David Cronenberg’s The Fly?
7. What is the collective name for the opposing force fighting the galactic empire in Star Wars?
THE REBEL ALLIANCE
8. The Mad Max franchise is set in which country?
9. Finish the following quote, “Alright Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my..” [bonus point for naming the film it’s from]
CLOSE-UP [Sunset Boulevard]
10. What is the name of Jack Sparrow’s ship in the Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise?
THE BLACK PEARL
ROUND II: Filming [Undeserved Oscars]
1. Which of the following actors was nominated for best leading actor alongside Art Carney, who won for Harry And Tonto? Al Pacino? Dustin Hoffman? Jack Nicholson?
ALL OF THE ABOVE
2. Which of the three films nominated for the Best Animated Feature award in 2006 did not feature Helena Bonham Carter? Howl’s Moving Castle? Wallace & Gromit: The Curse Of The Were-Rabbit? Corpse Bride?
HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE
3. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “You’ll know when you’re in it”? The Hurt Locker? Crash? Platoon?
THE HURT LOCKER
4. 1941’s How Green Was My Valley is set in which country? Ireland? Scotland? Wales?
5. Who directed Shakespeare In Love? Bruce Beresford? John Madden? James L. Brooks?
6. Who composed the score for Driving Miss Daisy? Hans Zimmer? John Williams? Danny Elfman?
7. What is the name of Leigh Anne’s old school that she wants Michael to attend in The Blind Side? University Of Alabama? University Of Tennessee? University Of Mississippi?
UNIVERSITY OF MISSISSIPPI (Ole Miss)
8. What was the cause of Buck’s death in the 1980 release, Ordinary People? Sailing accident? Military service? Drug overdose?
9. Iris, starring Judi Dench, Jim Broadbent and Kate Winslet was released in which year? 1999? 2000? 2001?
10. Jean-Pierre Jeunet was so convinced that the Bosnian war drama No Man’s Land would be selected for Best Foreign Language Film over his quirky comedy Amelie, that he didn’t bother turning up to the ceremony. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The following films all feature which actor: The Ten Commandments, The Raven and Basil The Great Mouse Detecitive?
2. The following quote is from which film, “Ok you are now firing a gun at your imaginary friend near 400 gallons of nitro-glycerine”?
3. Raging Bull closes with a quote from which book?
4. How many Police Academy movies were made?
5. What is the name of the talking clock, voiced by David Ogden Stiers in Beauty And The Beast?
6. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “The man, the music, the madness, the murder, the motion picture”?
7. In Ben-Hur, Judah’s mother and sister contract which disease while in prison?
8. The first scene of The Fast & The Furious details a truck hijacking using which make of car?
HONDA CIVIC (model not necessary for point)
9. Forrest, Howard and Jack Bondurant are three moonshine bootleggers in which prohibition era film?
10. Roger Moore starred in seven James Bond films. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
LIVE AND LET DIE / THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN / THE SPY WHO LOVED ME / MOONRAKER / FOR YOUR EYES ONLY / OCTOPUSSY / A VIEW TO A KILL
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Private Vasquez in Aliens, John Connor’s adoptive mother in Terminator 2, the Enterprise-B’s science officer in Star Trek Generations and that Irish mother in Titanic were all played by which actress? Nicole Gale Anderson? Jenette Goldstein? Roselyn Sanchez?
2. Which of the following films was not released in the 1950’s? The Time Machine? King Solomon’s Mines? Gunfight At The OK Corral?
THE TIME MACHINE
3. What is the name of Scarlett’s plantation in Gone With The Wind? Twelve Oaks? Dappledown? Tara?
4. Attack The Block is set in which South London district? Clapham? Brixton? Vauxhall?
5. Which of the following is not a cinematic composer? Vittorio Sodano? Nino Rota? Dario Marianelli?
VITTORIO SODANO (Oscar nominated make-up artist)
6. The following quote is from which Bogart film, “People lose teeth talking like that; if you want to hang around, you’ll be polite”? The Big Sleep? Casablanca? The Maltese Falcon?
THE MALTESE FALCON
7. What was the name of the American cinematographer who invented the Steadicam? George Albert Smith? Garrett Brown? Christopher Doyle?
8. Which Carry On film was released in 1969? Carry On Again Doctor? Carry On Doctor? Carry On Matron?
CARRY ON AGAIN DOCTOR
9. What are the names of the two diving rovers at the start of Titanic? Dive and Submerge? DeepSea and Sharky? Dunkin and Snoop Dog?
DUNKIN AND SNOOP DOG
10. Enter The Dragon was filmed entirely without sound, all of the dialogue, effects and foley were dubbed in post-production. True or False?
ROUND V: Bonus Film Festival Round
1. Which of the following festivals is dedicated solely to animation? Animafest Zagreb? Ann Arbor? The Whistler?
2. What is the name of the UK’s largest independent film festival held in London each October? Skydance? Raindance? Moondance?
3. Which animal is the symbol of the Berlin International film festival? Eagle? Lion? Bear?
4. Which trilogy was made specifically to premiere a different instalment at the big three festivals? The Three Colours Trilogy? The Vengeance Trilogy? The Dollars Trilogy?
THE THREE COLOURS TRILOGY (Blue Venice / White Berlin / Red Cannes)
5. Which of the following was first major film festival, held in 1932? Edinburgh International? Venice? Moscow International?
6. The Encounters Film Festival in Bristol specialises in what type of films? Musical? Silent? Short?
7. How many films are selected to compete for the Palme d’Or at Cannes? 20? 15? 10?
8. The Toronto International Film Festival takes place in which month? February? September? November?
9. Before rebranding, what was the original name of the Sundance film festival? Cinequest? MidWest? Utah/US?
10. Since its inception, the Palme d’Or statue has undergone more than thirty different designs. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Elizabeth: The Golden Age / Hot Fuzz / The Monuments Men
Poster: Coffee And Cigarettes
Actor: Cate Blanchett