[29 March 2015]
Disco Encounters Of The Groovy Kind
Genre – We give the aliens large collared shirts and flares and teach them to strut their funky stuff
The Italian (Hand) Job
Genre – A bawdy sex comedy in which Michael Caine was only supposed to blow the doors off.. with sexy results
The French Erection
Genre – Popeye Doyle infiltrates a Viagra smuggling ring in New York
Genre – Drama about lumberjacks starring Elijah Wood, Leslie Ash, Thora Birch, Glenn Close, Chris Pine and Colin Firth
A Chocolate Orange
Genre – Easter, banned by the BBFC
Genre – In space, no one can hear you unzip
Genre – A lost production
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the beauty pageant in Little Miss Sunshine?
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
2. Oliver Stone’s JFK focuses on the assassination of which US President?
JOHN F KENNEDY
3. How many blades can be found on Freddy Krueger’s glove in Nightmare On Elm Street?
4. What was the name of the villain in You Only Live Twice?
ERNST STAVRO BLOFELD
5. John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing and Jeff Conaway all featured in which film?
6. Which animal is The Sheriff Of Nottingham in Disney’s Robin Hood?
7. How many angels adorn the top of the ark of the covenant, in Raiders Of The Lost Ark?
8. Randy ‘The Ram’ Robinson is a wrestler in which film?
9. How many dice are used in Jumanji?
10. What does Anton Chigurh use to decide the fate of the petrol station proprietor in No Country For Old Men?
ROUND II: Filming [Films set in 1970s]
1. What is the title of Paul Thomas Anderson’s latest film, which is set in 1970? There Will Be Blood? Inherent Vice? The Master?
2. Which sport is the main focus of 1976’s Bad News Bears? Basketball? Baseball? American football?
3. Which British film is based on the allegedly true story of MI5 contracting criminals to recover risqué photos? The Bank Job? Sleeping Dogs? The Getaway?
THE BANK JOB
4. In All The President’s Men, Woodward and Bernstein (played by Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman) work for which newspaper? The Washington Times? The Washington Herald? The Washington Post?
THE WASHINGTON POST
5. Before her character is murdered in The Lovely Bones, Susie Salmon (played by Saoirse Ronan), wants to become what when she is older? Show jumper? Photographer? Ballet dancer?
6. What is the nickname given to the British intelligence agency in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? The Circus? The Station? The Crossroads?
7. Of the 50 US embassy staff members in Argo, how many manage to escape and take refuge at the Canadian ambassador’s house? Six? Eight? Ten?
8. The following quote is from which film, “When you are offered a favour or money, take the favour, not the money. Jesus said that, didn’t he”? Donnie Brasco? The People Vs Larry Flynt? American Hustle?
9. What is the name of the film-within-a-film that the kids are making in Super 8? The Case? The Device? The Invader?
10. All of the evil character’s names in Rob Zombie’s House Of 1000 Corpses were taken from Groucho Marx characters. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which Arnold Schwarzenegger film featured the following quote, “Please don’t wake my friend, he’s dead tired”?
2. What was the name of the organ player in Kill Bill, played by Samuel L. Jackson?
3. What did Tim Burton direct before Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and after Planet Of The Apes?
4. Which film featured the following quote: “How should I know where we are? I feel like a pig shat in my head!”?
WITHNAIL & I
5. The Taken trilogy is mostly set in which respective cities? (one point per correct answer)
PARIS / ISTANBUL / LOS ANGELES
6. In what film do Christian Slater and Winona Ryder play a teenage couple?
7. In what year was the Hong Kong film Police Story released?
8. Which two actors played Norman Bates in the 1960 and 1998 versions of Psycho? (one point per correct answer)
ANTHONY PERKINS / VINCE VAUGHN
9. The stoning scene in Life Of Brian takes place over the use of what word?
10. Who played the lead role of Brian Flanagan, a man who leaves the US army, moves to New York and becomes a bartender, in 1988?
TOM CRUISE (in Cocktail)
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which number combination is assigned to the aspect ratio known as Anamorphic Format? 2.39:1? 1.33:1? 1.77:1?
2. Of Captain Miller’s six-man-squad, excluding Upham, in Saving Private Ryan, how many men survive until the end of the film? One? Two? Three?
ONE (Reiben / Horvath, Mellish, Jackson, Wade, Caparzo)
3. Who plays the leading lady in Dial M For Murder? Vera Miles? Grace Kelly? Tippi Hedren?
4. Which Werner Herzog film is about a Jewish strongman and a cabaret mystic in Weimar Germany? Invincible? Lessons Of Darkness? My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?
5. What was the name of Marlon Brando’s debut film? Sayonara? The Men? Guys And Dolls?
6. Who plays the role of landowner Frank Harlan, opposite Clint Eastwood, in Joe Kidd? Dennis Hopper? James Caan? Robert Duvall?
7. Which type of gemstone features in 1984’s Romancing The Stone? Ruby? Diamond? Emerald?
8. Which of the following did not feature Elizabeth Taylor? National Velvet? Tonight And Every Night? Suddenly, Last Summer?
TONIGHT AND EVERY NIGHT
9. In filmmaking, what name is given to the final shot of the day? Mezzanine Shot? Martini Shot? Money Shot?
10. In 1931 the US State of Kansas banned Frankenstein for its portrayal of cruelty. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: The Right Stuff / Jurassic Park / Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
Poster: Annie Hall
Actor: Jeff Goldblum