[27 April 2014]
Toast Busters On Elm Street
Genre – Cookery horror/thriller involving toasted bread products
1984 Two: Electric Boogaloo
Genre – Much maligned disco themed sequel to the George Orwell classic
A Nightmare On St Andrews Street
Genre – Horror
Genre – After the tragic loss of Bruce Forsyth in May 2014, his foot is cryogenically frozen. 500 years later, after being accidentally defrosted, it escapes and competes in Strictly Come Dancing 2514
1894: Big Brother’s Baby Years
Genre – Unnecessary prequel to 1984 showing Big Brother as an enthusiastic, carefree six year old. Directed by George Lucas
Genre – Thor takes on Mozart
A Fistful Of Euros
Genre – Western: A wandering politician plays two rival parties against each other, whilst claiming second home allowance and threatening Lenny Henry
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the Broadway star being awarded at the start of in All About Eve?
2. What is the anglicised version of the Japanese character and film series Gojira?
3. Titus, Coriolanus and The Tempest are adaptations of plays by which playwright?
4. What was the title of the most recent Terminator movie?
5. The ant colony in A Bug’s Life is ruled over by what type of insect?
6. Who was the central villain in Spider-Man 2?
OTTO OCTAVIUS / DR. OCTOPUS
7. Which 1992 Western starred Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman and Richard Harris?
8. Achilles, Helen, Paris and Hector are the main characters in which 2004 film?
9. Who directed Tropic Thunder?
10. Tinto Brass’ Caligula was released in which year?
1979 (although 1980 in the US)
ROUND II: Filming [1984 Special]
1. Who played the lead role in Footloose? Kevin Bacon? Bruce Willis? John Travolta?
2. Gremlins takes place during which season? Summer? Winter? Autumn?
3. What is the name of John Kreese’s dojo in The Karate Kid? Viper Kira? Python Ko? Cobra Kai?
4. How are Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen’s characters (Jed and Matt Eckert) related in Red Dawn? Brothers? Cousins? Father/Son?
5. Which of the following did not appear in The Bounty? Liam Neeson? Robert Carlisle? Daniel Day-Lewis?
6. Who composed the score for Ghostbusters? Randy Edelman? Brad Fiedel? Elmer Bernstein?
7. Mola Ram and the Thuggees in Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom steal three of how many Sankara stones? 5? 6? 7?
8. The entirety of Once Upon A Time In America takes place over how many years? 29? 37? 48?
FORTY EIGHT (although if it’s all just an opium dream, it could be 12)
9. What was Muad’Dib’s name before he went into the desert, in Dune? Duncan? Feyd? Paul?
10. As Tom Hulce can’t actually play the piano, none of the harpsichords and pianos seen in Amadeus have strings. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Name an actor whose surname begins with V.
2. Ian McKellen, Robert Downey Jnr and Maggie Smith all appeared in which film?
3. The following quote is from which film, “There’s a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive.”?
THE PRINCESS BRIDE
4. Which actor played the role of James Bond in On Her Majesty’s Secret Service?
5. In which room of her flat does Amelie find the old metal box of childhood memorabilia, in Amelie?
6. What is Tyler’s final Project Mayhem plan in Fight Club?
DESTROY CREDIT CARD COMPANY BUILDINGS TO ERASE ALL DEBT
7. Who destroys the batcave in Batman Forever?
8. What animal does Rocky keep as a pet in Rocky?
9. How many films have the Coen Brothers directed?
SIXTEEN (Blood Simple, Raising Arizona, Miller’s Crossing, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Man Who Wasn’t There, Intolerable Cruelty, The Ladykillers, No Country For Old Men, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man, True Grit, Inside Llewyn Davis)
10. What are the first names of the three lead members of Spinal Tap? (one point per correct answer)
DAVID / NIGEL / DEREK
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was the name of the orang-utan in Every Which Way But Loose and Any Which Way You Can? Clive? Clint? Clyde?
2. Who voices Blu the Macaw in Rio? Neil Patrick Harris? Jesse Eisenberg? Owen Wilson?
3. What was the title of the supernatural thriller directed by Brian De Palma two years after Carrie? The Fury? Blow Out? Sisters?
4. Star Wars was the highest grossing film of 1977, what was the second highest? Close Encounters Of The Third Kind? Saturday Night Fever? Smokey And The Bandit?
SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT
5. Which of the following was not directed by Woody Allen? Bullets Over Broadway? Night Falls On Manhattan? Deconstructing Harry?
NIGHT FALLS ON MANHATTAN
6. Who directed Starman with Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen? John Carpenter? Ron Howard? Robert Zemeckis?
7. Straw Dogs is set in the fictional village of Wakely, in which county? Somerset? Devon? Cornwall?
8. Which of the following was not directed by Renny Harlin? Cliffhanger? Last Action Hero? The Long Kiss Goodnight?
LAST ACTION HERO
9. What was the poster tagline for the 1978 thriller, The Boys From Brazil? If they survive, will we? When do boys become men? If war is hell, then what comes after?
IF THEY SURVIVE, WILL WE
10. The acidic blood in Alien was made by combining glow-stick fluid and KY Jelly. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Batman Returns / Antz / Man On Fire
Poster: The Deer Hunter
Actor: Christopher Walken