[19 January 2014]
Genre – Not starring Audrey Hepburn or Fred Astaire
Stranger Than The Truman King
Genre – Oscar bait
We Need To Talk About Flubber
Genre – A serious Flubber sequel
Angels With Dirty Jokes
Genre – Café noir
We Don’t Give A Flying F-
Genre – Documentary about avian sanctuary clipping their resident flamingo’s wings
12 Years A Slave 4 U
Genre – Britney Spears tries to one-up Miley Cyrus by blacking-up and dancing in chains
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is Bridget’s surname in Bridget Jones’ Diary?
2. What kind of stuffed animal is Ted in the film of the same name?
3. Which two actors played the title roles of Tango and Cash respectively? (one point per correct answer)
KURT RUSSELL / SYLVESTER STALLONE
4. What was the title of Stanley Kubrick’s film about the Vietnam war?
FULL METAL JACKET
5. How does Leonard document his investigation of his wife’s killer in Memento?
6. Klaatu is the lead character of which film?
THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
7. Complete the following title: Shakespeare In.
8. Martin Scorsese’s remake of Cape Fear was released how many years after J. Lee Thompson’s original?
29 (1962 – 1991)
9. HR Giger was responsible for the design of which science fiction franchise?
ALIEN (point for Species)
10. Which film starred Kevin Spacey, Benicio Del Toro, Stephen Baldwin and Gabriel Byrne?
THE USUAL SUSPECTS
ROUND II: Filming [Comedic actors in serious roles]
1. Who played the lead role in Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind? Will Smith? Jim Carrey? Matt Damon?
2. Who directed Requiem For A Dream? Jim Jarmusch? David Lynch? Darren Aronofsky?
3. Philadelphia was released in which year? 1992? 1993? 1994?
4. Which of the following does not feature Robin Williams playing a character with the surname Parrish? Jumanji? One Hour Photo? Death To Smoochy?
DEATH TO SMOOCHY
5. How many sisters does Barry Egan have in Punch-Drunk Love? 7? 8? 9?
6. The penitentiary in The Green Mile shares its name with the title of a Nicole Kidman film. Which one? Cold Mountain? Stoker? Dogville?
COLD MOUNTAIN PENITENTIARY
7. Which comedic actor plays a producer of violent action films in the 1991 film, Grand Canyon? Steve Martin? Billy Crystal? Kevin Kline?
8. The following quote is from which Paul Newman film, “A 25% slice of something is better than a 100% slice of nothing”? Cool Hand Luke? Road To Perdition? The Hustler?
9. What item of clothing does Celie sell in The Colour Purple? Shirts? Shoes? Trousers?
10. Gene Wilder played a man serving a prison sentence for the murder of children in 1972’s The Scarecrow. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Excluding the two ships, how many locations are used in Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides?
THREE (Cadiz, London, Whitecap Bay)
2. What was the top grossing film of 1985?
BACK TO THE FUTURE
3. The following quote is from which film “Rolls Royce Phantom Two. 4.3 litre, 30 horsepower, six cylinder engine with Stromberg downdraft carburettor. Can go from zero to100 kilometres an hour in 12.5 seconds. And I even like the colour”?
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
4. Gone With The Wind is presented in how many parts?
5. How many languages does Hans Landa speak in Inglourious Basterds?
FOUR (German, French, English, Italian)
6. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “Man has made his match, now it’s his problem”?
7. To Kill A Mockingbird is set in which decade?
8. What is E.T.’s final line before departing Earth?
I’LL BE RIGHT HERE
9. Of the 28 Godzilla movies produced by Toho Studios, where does Godzilla Vs. SpaceGodzilla appear in the running order?
10. In Fever Pitch, Colin Firth’s character supports which team?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What is Mario’s surname in the 1993 film Super Mario Bros. ? Scapelli? Russo? Mario?
2. What did Paul Thomas Anderson direct in 1999? Magnolia? Punch-Drunk Love? Boogie Nights?
3. Which of the following did not feature Marilyn Monroe? The Asphalt Jungle? All About Eve? Hot Blood?
4. The following is a plot synopsis for which Akira Kurosawa film: Two greedy peasants escort a man and a woman through feudal Japan, not realising they are a famous general and a princess? Rashomon? The Hidden Fortress? High And Low?
THE HIDDEN FORTRESS
5. What is the cause of Mr. Dawes’ death at the end of Mary Poppins? A headline? A joke? Tuppence?
6. Which of the following is not a silent film? Sunrise: A Song Of Two Humans? M? The Golem?
7. What was the name of Jabba the Hutt’s little monkey lizard pet, in Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi? Max Rebo? Cad Bane? Salacious Crumb?
8. James Mangold’s 3:10 To Yuma is a remake of which film? High Noon? Gunsmoke? 3:10 To Yuma?
3:10 TO YUMA
9. What is the name of The Shawshank Redemption character who is one of the oldest convicts who is finally released, only to hang himself? Brooks Hatlen? Byron Hadley? Samuel Norton?
10. The actor who played Boy George in The Wedding Singer, is the same actor who played the man in the bathroom who attempts to kill Vincent and Jules in Pulp Fiction. True or False?
TRUE (Alexis Arquette)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: The Hunt For Red October / Glengarry Glen Ross / Where Eagles Dare
Poster: Ben Hurr
Actor: Mark Strong