[05 January 2014]
The Follicles Of Narnia: Gandalf Gets A Shave
Genre – Franchise crossing barber comedy
Genre – Puberty comedy
Stroke My Beard
Genre – A hairy adventure
The Men Who Stare At Goatees
Genre – Erotic drama
Dick’s Van Dyke
Genre – Musical featuring Dick Van Dyke singing about his new beard
The Good, THe Bad And The Absent
Genre – An East Anglian Western
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. According to the song, who are Dorothy and her companions off to see in The Wizard Of Oz?
THE WIZARD OF OZ / THE WONDERFUL WIZARD OF OZ
2. Mr. Pink, Mr. Blonde and Nice Guy Eddie are characters in which film?
3. What colour is Doc Hudson in Cars?
4. “Freeze in hell, Batman” and “This is why Superman works alone” were quotes from which film?
BATMAN & ROBIN
5. The following actors have played the role of which British legend: Douglas Fairbanks, Errol Flynn, Kevin Costner, Carey Elwes, Russell Crowe?
6. How many Dirty Harry films were made? [bonus point for naming the actor originally intended for the title role]
FIVE [Frank Sinatra]
7. How many characters does Peter Sellers play in Dr Strangelove?
8. What was the title of the western directed by Clint Eastwood in 1992?
9. How many lost boys are there in Disney’s Peter Pan?
10. The Last King Of Scotland is set in which decade?
ROUND II: Filming [Movie Beards Special]
1. What colour is Gandalf’s beard in The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King? White? Grey? Black?
2. The Pai Mei sequences in Kill Bill, take place in which release? Kill Bill: Vol. 1? Kill Bill: Vol. 2? Kill Bill: Vol. 3?
KILL BILL: VOL 2
3. What is the name of Brian Blessed’s character in Flash Gordon? Dale Arden? Prince Barin? Prince Vultan?
4. How many years is Chuck Noland on the island in Cast Away? 3? 4? 5?
5. Only one character, Ely, is given a name in 2009’s The Road. Who plays the role of Ely? Kodi Smit-McKhee? Robert Duvall? Guy Pearce?
6. The following quote is from which film, “If anything happens to me or my family, an accident, an accusation, anything, then first your son will disappear, his body will never be found. Then your wife. Her body will never be found either. This is guaranteed”? Syriana? Zero Dark Thirty? Body Of Lies?
7. In which of the following films does Jeff Bridges not sport a beard? Crazy Heart? The Fisher King? Tideland?
THE FISHER KING
8. Which member of the Beatles cameo’d in Monty Python’s The Life Of Brian? Paul McCartney? John Lennon? George Harrison?
9. Of the 12 members of the American Antarctic Research Station in The Thing, how many have beards? 6? 8? 10?
SIX (MacReady, Childs, Clark, Fuchs, Windows, Bennings)
10. Die Another Day is the first film to feature a bearded James Bond. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Name any film directed by Ed Zwick.
TEN (About Last Night, Glory, Leaving Normal, Legends Of The Fall, Courage Under Fire, The Siege, The Last Samurai, Blood Diamond, Defiance, Love & Other Drugs)
2. Freder, Maria, Joh and Rotwang are characters in which silent film?
3. Randall Wallace has written four films, three of which were Braveheart, The Man In The Iron Mask and We Were Soldiers, what is the fourth?
PEARL HARBOUR (released 2001)
4. What percentage of the studio profit for a major release is made up of ticket sales?
20% (the rest is licencing, DVD sales and merchandising)
5. The following is the poster tagline for which film “When the end comes, not everyone is ready to go”?
6. The Sting was distributed by which major studio?
7. The Bridge On The River Kwai, 12 Angry Men and The Seventh Seal all were released in which year?
8. Which three actors feature on almost every poster for The Departed? (one point per correct answer)
JACK NICHOLSON / LEONARDO DICAPRIO / MATT DAMON
9. What is the name of George’s partner in A Single Man?
10. The Pianist takes place in which country?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What did Hitchcock direct in 1951? Strangers On A Train? Rear Window? Spellbound?
STRANGERS ON A TRAIN
2. Who directed National Lampoon’s Vacation? Harold Ramis? Ivan Reitman? David Zucker?
3. Who played the title role in The Young Victoria? Emily Blunt? Charlize Theron? Rosamund Pike?
4. Who said, “We want to make good movies and make them cheap. The two are not incompatible”? Stanley Kubrick? Steven Spielberg? Quentin Tarantino?
5. Who composed the score for 1997’s As Good As It Gets? Hans Zimmer? John Debney? Alan Silvestri?
6. Colonel Jack O’Neill and Dr Daniel Jackson are the lead characters in which film? Stargate? The Hunt For Red October? A Few Good Men?
7. Which Star Wars film’s opening crawl starts with the following sentence, “It is a dark time for the Rebellion”? Star Wars? The Empire Strikes Back? Return Of The Jedi?
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
8. In The Elephant Man, John Merrick reveals he is literate and intelligent by reciting what? Psalm 23? Nothing Will Die by Tennyson? Iera son salita tutta sola from Madame Butterfly?
9. What colour are Rocky’s shorts when he fights Apollo Creed, in Rocky? White with red trim? Black with gold trim? Gold with red trim?
WHITE WITH RED TRIM
10. Edward G Robinson’s final scene before he died was a death scene. True or False?
TRUE (it was for Soylent Green and he died 10 days after shooting was completed)
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: The Fugitive / The Notebook / The Deer Hunter
Actor: Adrien Brody