[22 December 2013]
Goodwill To All Venkmen
Genre – A very Murray Christmas
Lost Groundhog’s Ghost Translation: Who You Gonna Call?
Genre – Drama
Lust In Transylvanus
Genre – Vampire erotica set in Tokyo
Bill’s Murray Mince Pie Lies
Genre – Cullinary disaster movie
What About Santa?
Genre – A look inside the damaged mind of Santa
Genre – Bill Murray + Christmas = best Christmas ever
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the Christmas film in which Will Ferrell plays an elf?
2. The following quote is from which film “You see, George, you’ve really had a wonderful life. Don’t you see what a mistake it would be to throw it away”?
IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE
3. Who played the title role in Batman Returns?
4. Who directed Eyes Wide Shut?
5. How is the title character of Fred Claus related to Santa Claus?
BROTHER / SIBLINGS
6. After the title character in 1998’s Jack Frost dies, what is he magically turned into?
7. The majority of Love, Actually takes place in which city?
8. The Andrew Adamson adaptation of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe was released in which year?
9. How old is Susan Walker, played by Mara Wilson, in Miracle On 34th Street?
10. What is the name of the Grinch’s dog?
ROUND II: Filming [Bill Murray Special]
1. What is the name of Bill Murray’s character in What About Bob? Bill? Barry? Bob? **5000th question asked!**
2. In Fantastic Mr Fox, Murray’s character of Clyde is what type of animal? Otter? Badger? Weasel?
3. In Hyde Park On Hudson, Murray portrayed which US president? Herbert Hoover? Franklin D Roosevelt? Harry Truman?
FRANKLIN D ROOSEVELT
4. Which film did Bill Murray sign up for, solely because he saw Joel Coen’s name on the script, later realising it wasn’t the same Joel Coen, forcing him to rewrite most of his dialogue? Space Jam? Charlie’s Angels? Garfield: The Movie?
GARFIELD: THE MOVIE
5. Of the following films, which was released first? Stripes? Caddyshack? Little Shop Of Horrors?
6. Who was supposed to play the role of Louis, in Ghostbusters, before Rick Moranis signed on? John Candy? John Lithgow? Steve Guttenberg?
7. What date is Phil Connors reliving in Groundhog Day? 16 Jan? 2 Feb? 1 Mar?
8. Murray has appeared in how many Wes Anderson films? 4? 5? 6?
SIX (excluding The Grand Budapest Hotel, including The Darjeeling Limited)
9. Which character is the first to die in 2000’s Hamlet? Ophelia? Rosencrantz? Polonius?
10. In Lost In Translation, Bob and Charlotte introduce themselves to one another thirty two times, which was Sofia Coppola’s age when she directed the film. True or False?
FALSE (Bob and Charlotte never introduce themselves)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is the name of Turbo Man’s sidekick in Jingle All The Way?
2. Black Christmas was released and remade in which years? (one point per correct answer)
1974 / 2006
3. Larry David, Bill Murray and Jack Nicholson were all signed on at some point to play the lead in which Christmas film?
4. What is the name of Scrooge’s cheerful nephew in the 2006 mo-cap adaptation of A Christmas Carol? [bonus point for naming the actor who played him]
FRED [Colin Firth]
5. What is the title of the 2006 Christmas film that stars Danny DeVito and Matthew Broderick as neighbours competing to have the most elaborate decorations?
DECK THE HALLS
6. The following quote is from which film, “I could talk about industrialisation and men’s fashion all day but I’m afraid work must intrude”?
7. How many individuals make up the McCallister family (immediate family, not the cousins, aunts, uncles, etc) in Home Alone 2?
SEVEN (Kevin, Peter, Kate, Buzz, Jeff, Megan, Linnie)
8. In The Santa Clause, what is the gift Neal Miller wanted but didn’t receive as a boy?
OSCAR MEYER WEENIE WHISTLE
9. Which movie do the Gremlins take over a cinema to watch, in the film of the same name?
SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS
10. What is the first thing Edward sculpts from ice, in Edward Scissorhands?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. At the end of The Polar Express, the conductor stamps words into each of the four children’s tickets. Which word was stamped into the lead character’s ticket? Learn? Lead? Believe?
2. Which of the following Christmas movies was the first film to feature a mobile phone? Santa Claus: The Movie? Ernest Saves Christmas? Lethal Weapon?
3. Home Alone was produced by which studio? 20th Century Fox? Universal? Paramount?
20TH CENTURY FOX
4. According to director Henry Selick, which of the following was the most difficult shot in The Nightmare Before Christmas? Sally jumping out of her window? Jack opening the door to Christmas Town? Revealing the unravelled Oogie Boogie?
JACK OPENING THE DOOR TO CHRISTMAS TOWN (as Jack’s entire reflection is seen in the doorknob’s reflection)
5. Which Muppet played the role of the young Scrooge’s schoolmaster in The Muppet Christmas Carol? Fozzie Bear? Sam The Eagle? Dr. Bunsen Honeydew?
SAM THE EAGLE
6. Who plays Clark’s cousin Eddie in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation? Randy Quaid? Christopher Lloyd? Rick Moranis?
7. What is Claire’s nickname for Frank in Scrooged? Lumpy? Bumpy? Grumpy?
8. What is the colour of the electrical tape wrapped around the magazines, marking them as blanks, in Die Hard 2? Blue? Green? White?
9. How much does Drew Latham offer Tom to pose as his family, in Surviving Christmas? 250 thousand dollars? 500 thousand dollars? 1 million dollars?
250 THOUSAND DOLLARS
10. Peter Billingsley, the actor who played Ralphie in A Christmas Story, was also executive producer for Iron Man. True or False?
BOUNS IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Just Friends / Four Christmases / Rare Exports
Poster: Christmas With The Kranks
Actor: Catherine O’Hara