[26 May 2013]
Super 8 1/2
Genre – Frederico Fellini terrorises small town America
Genre – Remake of Them
Untitled JJ Abrams Quiz Team
Genre – Sci-fi romcom (with sexy results)
The French Prince of Bell End
Genre – Tragic comedy
Them Giant Ants
Genre – Horror/Nature documentary
Drag Me To Hell-esdon
Genre – Gypsy monster flick
Genre – Local documentary
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Where The Wild Things Are is an adaptation of which children’s book?
WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
2. The aliens in 1953’s War Of The Worlds are from which planet?
3. What animal is the central focus of Watership Down?
4. Which film did Pixar release in between Ratatouille and Up?
5. Who played the title role in What About Bob?
6. What was the title of the 2005 biopic about Johnny Cash?
WALK THE LINE
7. The lines “Extreme close-up, Shyeah right and It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine” are from which film?
8. In Wanted, Sloan demonstrates Wesley’s abilities by making him shoot the wings off of what type of animal?
9. Bernie Lomax is a deceased character played by Terry Kiser in which film?
WEEKEND AT BERNIE’S or WEEKEND AT BERNIE’S II
10. Tottington Hall’s Annual Giant Vegetable Competition and the Golden Carrot trophy are the central focus of which British clay-mation film?
WALLACE & GROMIT: THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT
ROUND II: Filming [Giant Monsters Special]
1. What name do the islanders give the giant beast in King Kong? Rex? Kali-ma? Kong?
2. Which actor plays the lead role of Val in Tremors? Bill Paxton? Kevin Bacon? Kiefer Sutherland?
3. Which city is attacked in Cloverfield? New York City? Chicago? Los Angeles?
NEW YORK CITY
4. What is the name of the child that the Iron Giant befriends in the film of the same name? Holden? Hugo? Hogarth?
5. What was the poster tagline for the Roland Emmerich film, Godzilla? Size Does Matter? Incredible Titan Of Terror? A Monster Of Mass Destruction?
SIZE DOES MATTER
6. Jason And The Argonauts was released in which year? 1961? 1963? 1965?
7. What was the original title of Eight-Legged Freaks before it was changed for fear of controversy? Goddamned Spiders? Arac-Attack? Big Hairy Whoppers?
ARAC-ATTACK (due to the fact that it sounded like Iraq Attack)
8. In Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus, which title character wins? Mega Shark? Giant Octopus? Neither?
NEITHER (they kill each other – technically the Octopus won as it died second)
9. Which simple action is a pre-cursor nod to all female dinosaurs breeding in Jurassic Park? The encased mosquito dug up at the dig site? Dr. Grant tying his seatbelt? Dennis Nedry placing the shaving foam on a piece of pie?
DR. GRANT TYING HIS SEATBELT (implying that despite having two different parts, he could make them join together)
10. The Norwegian film Troll Hunter is a remake of a Japanese film, the title of which translates to Big Beasts Of Legend. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Free And Clear, Hope and Seize The Day are support groups in which film?
2. Which two actors play the lead roles in Barry Levinson’s Wag The Dog? (one point per correct answer)
ROBERT DE NIRO / DUSTIN HOFFMAN
3. The characters Bobby Boucher, Sonny Koufax and Michael Newman were all played by which actor? [bonus points for naming the respective films]
ADAM SANDLER [The Waterboy / Big Daddy / Click]
4. What is the first thing painted by Annie that appears in Chris’ heaven, in What Dreams May Come?
5. What was the title of the supernatural horror film directed by Robert Zemeckis in 2000?
WHAT LIES BENEATH
6. The following quote is from which film, “Look at my tongue, it’s wearing a yellow sock”?
WITHNAIL AND I
7. Having established the rules for crashing weddings, what family event has Chazz moved on to, in Wedding Crashers?
8. How many years has Walter spent in prison for paedophilia in The Woodsman? [bonus point for naming the actor who plays Walter]
TWELVE [Kevin Bacon]
9. Who was originally cast as Juliet in Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet but then fired because she looked too young alongside Leonardo DiCaprio?
10. Which director wrote the screenplay for 1974’s The Great Gatsby?
FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What is the subtitle of the sequel to Wall Street? Money Makes The World Go Round? Money Never Sleeps? Money Is Truth?
MONEY NEVER SLEEPS
2. Waltz With Bashir depicts the director’s experiences as a soldier in which conflict? 1982 Lebanon War? 1980 Iran-Iraq War? 1973 Yom-Kippur War?
1982 LEBANON WAR
3. Which of the following countries did not produce 1970’s Waterloo (starring Rod Steiger, Christopher Plummer and Orson Welles)? Italy? Soviet Union? Spain?
4. What was the title of the only film to star both Bette Davis and Joan Crawford? Now, Voyager? What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? Grand Hotel?
WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE?
5. Who directed Way Of The Dragon? Lo Wei? Robert Clouse? Bruce Lee?
6. What was the title of the film that starred Peter Selles, Peter O’Toole and was Woody Allen’s writing/acting debut? What’s New Pussycat? Dr. Strangelove? The Return Of The Pink Panther?
WHAT’S NEW PUSSYCAT?
7. In The Wind That Shakes The Barley, how does Damien O’Donovan describe the Union Jack? The crossed brand? The hangman’s noose? The butcher’s apron?
THE BUTCHER’S APRON
8. Which of the following is the only film to be nominated for every eligible category at the Oscars? Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? The Silence Of The Lambs? The Godfather: Part II?
WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
9. What is the name of Nicolas Cage’s character in Wild At Heart? Sailor Ripley? Pace Fortune? Dell Durango?
10. Natalie Wood’s singing in West Side Story was dubbed by US singer, Marni Nixon. True or False?
BOUND IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Revolutionary Road / One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest / Con Air
Actor: Helen Hunt