[12 May 2013]
Romancing Sharon Stone
Genre – Cross-(leg)over
Treasure W. Island
Genre – Unsuspecting middle-aged women send farmer captive into a state of terror and then eat coffee and cake. Clay-mation with Hugh Grant
Sweet Toothed Losers
Genre – A predictable Hollywood repeat
It Was My Job To Come Up With A Team Name And I Just Completely Dropped The Ball. Tried To Come Up With A Pun Around O Brother Where Art Thou But It Didn’t Happen
Genre – Drama about writer’s block
Indiana Jones And The Hunt For The Right Answer
Genre – Mystery
Genre – Comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The Joseph L. Mankiewicz film Cleopatra details the story of which Egyptian ruler?
CLEOPATRA VII PHILOPATOR
2. Which film studio produced A Bug’s Life, Ratatouille and Up, all under the Disney Pictures banner?
3. The character Freddy Krueger debuted in which film?
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET
4. The film Octopussy is part of which franchise?
5. Pongo and Perdita (and ninety nine puppies) are characters in which Disney animated film?
ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIONS
6. Name the lead actor who appeared in The Naked Gun series.
7. Who directed Once Upon A Time In America, Once Upon A Time In The West and A Fistful Of Dynamite?
8. What was the name of the 2006 animated film that starred Bruce Willis, Garry Shandling, Steve Carrell, Nick Nolte, William Shatner and Avril Lavigne?
OVER THE HEDGE
9. The songs I’d Do Anything, As Long As He Needs Me, Oom-Pah-Pah are from which musical?
10. Complete the title of this Clint Eastwood western: The Outlaw..
ROUND II: Filming [Treasure Hunting Special]
1. Which actor starred alongside Kathleen Turner in Romancing The Stone? Kurt Russell? Michael Douglas? Tom Hanks?
2. How many kids make up The Goonies? 6? 7? 8? [bonus points for naming them all]
SEVEN [Mikey / Mouth / Data / Brand / Chunk / Andy / Stef]
3. Which actor played Long John Silver in the 1972 adaptation of Treasure Island? Orson Welles? Charlton Heston? Marlon Brando?
4. The 2005 film Sahara is an adaptation of the novel of the same name by which author? Tom Clancy? Robert Ludlum? Clive Cussler?
5. Which actor played the title role in City Slickers II: The Legend Of Curly’s Gold? Charles Dance? Jack Palance? Robert Mitchum?
6. In the Pirates Of The Caribbean films what is Captain Barbossa’s first name? Hector? Theodore? Weatherby?
7. The following quote is from which Indiana Jones film: “Doctor Jones, surely you don’t think you can escape from this island”? Raiders Of The Lost Ark? Temple Of Doom? The Last Crusade?
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
8. The role of Howard in The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre is played by Walter Huston. How is he related to the film’s director, John Huston? Brother? Father? Uncle?
9. Sergio Leone hired Eli Wallach to star in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly based on his comic timing, as seen in which film? The Magnificent Seven? How The West Was Won? Crazy Joe?
HOW THE WEST WAS WON
10. The National Treasure character Benjamin Franklin Gates’ middle name is the same as Nicolas Cage, the actor who plays him. True or False?
FALSE (Nicolas Kim Coppola)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The orgazmorator is a mechanical device used by a superhero in which 1997 comedy?
2. How many individuals make up the Cooper family (hiding in the cellar) in Night Of The Living Dead?
THREE (Harry, Helen, Karen)
3. What did Terrence Malick direct in between The Thin Red Line and The Tree Of Life?
THE NEW WORLD
4. Who played the role of Lenny Small in the 1992 adaptation of Of Mice And Men?
5. What is Josie’s nickname throughout high school in Never Been Kissed?
6. The Nutty Professor was released and remade in which respective years? (one point per correct answer)
1963 / 1996
7. Who played the lead role in Oliver Stone’s three and a half hour biopic, Nixon?
8. Woody Harrelson and Robert Downey Jr have only appeared in two films together. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
NATURAL BORN KILLERS / A SCANNER DARKLY
9. Napoleon Dynamite made $46 million at the box office. What was its budget?
FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND
10. No Country For Old Men is set in which year?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What causes Felix to attempt suicide at the start of The Odd Couple? He loses his job? His wife leaves him? His cat dies?
HIS WIFE LEAVES HIM
2. Who composed the score for Notes On A Scandal? Clint Mansell? Michael Nyman? Philip Glass?
3. The Name Of The Rose is set in which country? France? Italy? Austria?
4. In Point Break, which of the following President’s faces was not used as a mask by the ex-presidents gang? Ronald Reagan? Richard Nixon? John F Kennedy?
JOHN F KENNEDY
5. What colour is Falkor in The Neverending Story? Blue? Black? White?
6. What is the name of Nino Brown’s gang in New Jack City? The Keepers? Cash Money Brothers? NYZ’s?
CASH MONEY BROTHERS
7. How many languages are spoken in Roman Polasnki’s, The Ninth Gate? Four? Five? Six?
FIVE (English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin)
8. Who directed Robert De Niro and Liza Minnelli in New York, New York? Robert Wise? Richard Attenborough? Martin Scorsese?
9. North By Northwest was released in which year? 1955? 1957? 1959?
10. Due to the harsh panning of The Night Of The Hunter by critics and audiences, actor Charles Laughton never directed again. True or False?
TRUE (he died seven years after the film’s release, before it became a cult hit)
BOUND IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Star Trek III: The Search For Spock / Tarzan / Double Indemnity
Poster: The Maltese Falcon
Actor: Andy Garcia