[24 February 2013]
Barber Wars: Revenge Of The Quiff
Genre – Hair-raising sci fi
Robin The Oldboy Wonder
Genre – Superhero revenge thriller
The Count Of Monte Quizto
Genre – Norwich quiz team’s tale of revenge
Charlie’s Excellent Adventure
Genre – Fantasy/Adventure
We Need To Talk About Kevin Bacon
Genre – Documentary about Kevin Bacon’s career choices
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What was the name of the lead character in Dick Tracy?
2. Die Hard With A Vengeance is set in which US city?
3. Linda Hamilton and Pierce Brosnan fight a volcano in which film?
4. Who directed Dr. Strangelove Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb?
5. The following are songs from which Disney film: Savages, Steady As The Beating Drum, Colours Of The Wind?
6. Clint Eastwood first played a detective in which film?
7. Which martial arts actor appeared in Drunken Master and its sequel?
8. What was the nickname given to LAPD Sgt. John Spartan (played by Sylvester Stallone) in the 1993 film of the same name?
9. What was the title of the 2004 Roland Emmerich film about global warming?
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW
10. Dirty Dancing is set in which decade? [bonus point for naming the exact year]
ROUND II: Filming [Vengeance Special]
1. What is the name of Michael Caine’s character in Get Carter? Eric Paice? Cliff Brumby? Jack Carter?
2. Kill Bill was released in how many parts? 2? 3? 4? [bonus point for stating the intertitle that appears at the start of the film]
TWO [Revenge is a dish best served cold]
3. Eric Draven, Ashe Corven, Alex Corvis and Jimmy Cuervo are the lead characters in which film series? Hellraiser? The Crow? Death Wish?
4. What is the name of Benjamin Barker’s wife in Sweeney Todd? Johanna? Lucy? Michelle?
5. The Devil’s Own is set in which country? Ireland? Norway? Taiwan?
6. What was the first title in Chan-wook Park’s Vengeance trilogy? Oldboy? Lady Vengeance? Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance?
SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE
7. Shane Meadows’ Dead Man’s Shoes takes place in which county? Staffordshire? Derbyshire? Cheshire?
8. Luigi Vampa, Jacopo and the other smugglers dub Edmond Dantes ‘Zatarra’, in The Count Of Monte Cristo. What does it mean? Driftwood? Backstabber? Protected?
9. The lead actress of I Spit On Your Grave is the granddaughter of which silent movie actor? Buster Keaton? Charlie Chaplin? Harold Lloyd?
BUSTER KEATON (Camille Keaton)
10. Nick Cave wrote a script for a sequel to Gladiator, in which Maximus was resurrected by Roman gods to help fight throughout history, including World War II, Vietnam and the contemporary Pentagon. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Sam Mendes has directed six films to date. Name them (one point per correct answer)
AMERICAN BEAUTY / ROAD TO PERDITION / JARHEAD / REVOLUTIONARY ROAD / AWAY WE GO / SKYFALL
2. How many Carry On films do not start with “Carry On”, excluding 1977’s That’s Carry On?
TWO (Don’t Lose Your Head / Follow That Camel)
3. 2006’s Dreamgirls was nominated for eight academy awards (of which it won two). How many were for best song?
4. What was the title of John Carpenter’s first film?
5. Who played the role of Jean Valjean in the 1998 version of Les Miserables?
6. House On Haunted Hill, The Great Mouse Detective, Edward Scissorhands and Dr. Goldfoot And The Girl Bombs all starred which actor?
7. What does the super-villain, Gru, plan on shrinking and stealing in Despicable Me?
8. Stephen Frears Dangerous Liaisons was released in which year?
9. Who scored Dr. No, Dances With Wolves and Howard The Duck?
10. Short Bartender, Buscemi, Pick Up Guy are characters in which Robert Rodriguez film?
DESPERADO (Cheech Marin, Steve Buscemi, Quentin Tarantino)
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which studio produced 1954’s Davy Crockett, King Of The Wild Frontier? MGM? Disney? Warner Bros?
2. What is the name of the Skeksis method for settling disputes, debates and conflicts in The Dark Crystal? Meeting Of The Three Suns? The Conjunction? Trial By Stone?
TRIAL BY STONE
3. Susan Sarandon has been nominated for the Best Actress Oscar five times, which film did she win the award for? Thelma & Louise? The Client? Dead Man Walking?
DEAD MAN WALKING
4. The non-canon Bond film, Never Say Never Again was released in which year? 1981? 1983? 1985?
5. How long is the full uncut version of Das Boot? 150mins? 208mins? 293mins?
293 MINS (just under five hours)
6. How many women enter the cave in The Descent? Six? Eight? Ten?
7. 1943’s Destination Tokyo is set aboard which naval craft? Aircraft carrier? Battlecruiser? Submarine? [bonus point for naming the lead actor]
SUBMARINE [Cary Grant]
8. Which film won the 1978 Oscar for Best Picture? The Deer Hunter? One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest? Gandhi?
THE DEER HUNTER
9. What is Dr. Zhivago’s full name in Dr. Zhivago? Yuri? Pasha? Kuril?
10. The original choices to play Harry and Lloyd in Dumb & Dumber were Nicolas Cage and Gary Oldman. True or False?
BOUND IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Doubt / Drive / Desperately Seeking Susan
Poster: Drag Me To Hell
Actor: Dudley Moore