[13 January 2013]
A Linklater To The Past
Genre – Action adventure
My Own Private Innuendo
Genre – In your end-oh (erotic horror)
The John Hurt Locker
Genre – Strangers On A Train remake
Genre – A bamboozling blank slate thriller
The Tear Itch Project
Genre – Sci-fi horror
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. LA Confidential is set in which US city?
2. Finding Neverland features the conception and writing of which play?
3. Which actor plays the role of Howard Hughes in Martin Scorsese’s The Aviator?
4. What sport is the main focus of Cinderella Man?
5. Which actor appeared in The Sting, Cool Hand Luke and The Hustler?
6. What type of animal is Sid in the Ice Age series?
7. How many individuals make up the Parr family in The Incredibles?
8. Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade is set in which decade?
9. Who directed Delicatessen, Alien Resurrection and A Very Long Engagement?
JEAN PIERRE JEUNET
10. In Reservoir Dogs, the six criminals are given aliases. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
WHITE / ORANGE / PINK / BLONDE / BROWN / BLUE
ROUND II: Filming [Indie Films Of The 90’s Special]
1. Who wrote, directed and starred in Clerks? Kevin Smith? Bruce Willis? Quentin Tarantino?
2. How many students are making the titular documentary in The Blair Witch Project? Two? Three? Four?
3. What is the alias of the serial killer in Seven? Jack Ripper? David Mills? John Doe? [bonus point for naming the actor who portrayed him]
JOHN DOE [Kevin Spacey]
4. What is Barton Fink writing when he moves to California in the film of the same name? Script? Play? Novel?
5. Who directed the 1994 release, Heavenly Creatures? Kenneth Branagh? Jane Champion? Peter Jackson?
6. How many individuals feature on the poster for Trainspotting? Five? Six? Seven?
FIVE (Begbie, Diane, Sick Boy, Spud, Renton)
7. At what age was Karl Childers incarcerated for killing his mother and her lover, in Sling Blade? 10? 12? 14?
8. What is the name of the pre-op transgender character in The Crying Game? Jody? Col? Dil?
9. What was the budget for Pulp Fiction? 8.5 million? 12.5 million? 19.5 million?
10. Luc Besson’s Leon is an Independent film released in the 1990’s. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Who directed Tom Cruise in Valkyrie?
2. What was the title of the 1989 comedy directed by Mel Smith, starring Jeff Goldblum, Rowan Atkinson and Emma Thompson?
THE TALL GUY
3. Dr. Frederick Chilton is the head of a psychiatric facility for the criminally insane in which film?
THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
4. What is the name of John Hammond’s genetic engineering company in the Jurassic Park trilogy?
5. The following is the poster tagline from which film, “Can two friends sleep together and still love each other in the morning”?
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
6. Which Bond film opens with the assassination of a clown?
7. What was the title of the 2005 Gore Verbinski film starring Nicolas Cage and Michael Caine?
THE WEATHER MAN
8. Which chess piece is part of an in-joke between Edmond Dantes and Fernand Mondego in The Count Of Monte Cristo?
9. Bill Cobbs and two other actors play the previous night guards in Night At The Museum. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
DICK VAN DYKE / MICKEY ROONEY
10. Harry Sullivan, Polly Perkins, Dex Dearborn and Commander Frankie Cook are characters in which 2004 b-movie throwback?
SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Of the six IMF agents, how many die at the start of Mission: Impossible? 3? 4? 5?
THREE (Jack, Hannah and Sarah)
2. Which of the following was not a biopic of Truman Capote released in the 2000’s? Infamous? In Cold Blood? Capote?
IN COLD BLOOD
3. 1944’s Ivan Groznyy (Ivan The Terrible) was released in how many parts? 2? 3? 4?
4. In which year was Hitchcock’s Rebecca released? 1938? 1939? 1940? [bonus point for naming the lead actor]
1940 [Laurence Olivier]
5. What colour is Kaneda’s bike in the anime Akira? Red? Black? White?
6. Which film did Cagney win an Oscar for? The Roaring Twenties? Love Me Or Leave Me? Yankee Doodle Dandy?
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
7. Which of the following does Grenouille not try to distil the scent of, in Perfume? Glass? Cat? Glue?
8. Before adopting the name of his home town, what was Vito Corleone’s surname (as seen in The Godfather: Part II)? Abbandando? Fanucci? Andolini?
9. The following quote is from which film, “This is the job. Don’t wait for it to happen, don’t want it to happen. Just watch what does happen”? Once Upon A Time In America? The Untouchables? Casino?
10. The same child actor plays Mikey in Look Who’s Talking and Look Who’s Talking Too. True or False?
BOUND IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Amadeus / Sunset Boulevard / A Fistful Of Dollars
Poster: Halloween 4
Actor: Paul Newman