[30 December 2012]
Many Hans Make Dark Knight Work
Genre – Crime thriller
Genre – Psychological thriller in which Hans Zimmer’s music kills people when they are on hold on premium phone lines
Hans Zimmer Frame
Genre – Once proud man finds strength writing music after losing the ability to walk
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the dog in 1943’s Lassie Come Home? [bonus point if you can name the breed of the dog]
LASSIE [Rough collie]
2. What genre does Tombstone predominantly belong to?
3. What colour is the Mask’s iconic suit, in the 1994 film of the same name?
4. What is the subtitle to Terminator 2?
5. How does Mr. Miyagi refer to Daniel LaRusso throughout The Karate Kid?
6. Who directed True Lies?
7. Who are the three top billed actors in 1987’s Innerspace? (one point per correct answer)
DENNIS QUAID / MARTIN SHORT / MEG RYAN
8. Pretty Woman is set in which US city?
9. Of the many celebrities Forrest Gump meets, who is the first?
10. What did Robert Zemeckis direct before Back To The Future?
ROMANCING THE STONE
ROUND II: Filming [Hans Zimmer Special]
1. Which of the following actors did not star in Rain Man? Tom Cruise? Dustin Hoffman? Gene Hackman? **4000th question asked!**
2. Who directed the Pirates Of The Caribbean trilogy? Michael Bay? Gore Verbinski? Jon Turteltaub? [bonus point for naming the director of On Stranger Tides]
GORE VERBINSKI [Rob Marshall]
3. Who played the role of Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius in Gladiator? Richard Harris? Oliver Reed? Joaquin Phoenix?
4. At the 82nd Academy Awards (2010) Hans Zimmer was nominated for an Oscar for his score for which film? The Dark Knight? Angels & Demons? Sherlock Holmes?
5. What colour is Captain Algren’s armour (originally worn by Hirotaro) in The Last Samurai? Black? Red? Blue?
6. Which of the following films was not scored by Hans Zimmer? Look Who’s Talking? Cool Runnings? Thunderbirds?
LOOK WHO’S TALKING
7. What is the name of the town in Rango? Mud? Dust? Dirt?
8. What type of car do Thelma & Louise drive in the film of the same name? 1967 Chevrolet Impala? 1966 Ford Thunderbird? 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor?
1966 FORD THUNDERBIRD
9. According to the posters for Inception, what was the title given to Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s character? The Point Man? The Forger? The Shade?
THE POINT MAN
10. Whilst filming The Dark Knight the set for the batcave was damaged by fire and quickly written out of the script. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What type of animals are Chance, Shadow and Sassy in Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey? (one point per correct answer)
DOG / DOG / CAT
2. Which film was the first collaboration between director Christopher Nolan and cinematographer Wally Pfister?
3. Point Of No Return, starring Bridget Fonda, was a remake of which Luc Besson film?
4. What is the full title of Dr. Strangelove?
OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB
5. The following quote is from which film “Don’t be alarmed, ladies and gentlemen. Those chains are made of chrome steel”?
6. Rick Deckard is the lead character in which film?
7. The following is the poster tagline for which film “The man, the music, the madness, the murder, the motion picture”?
8. David Lynch was approached to direct The Elephant Man by the movie’s producer (who was impressed by Eraserhead). The producer then insisted his name be kept out of all marketing and promotion, to ensure the public wouldn’t think the film was a comedy. Who was the producer?
9. Michael Rennie, best known for playing Klaatu in The Day The Earth Stood Still was born in which country?
10. How old was James Cagney when he appeared in 1949’s White Heat?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of Laurie’s friends is the first to be murdered in Halloween? Annie? Lynda? Lindsey?
2. What was the name of the actress who played Holly in Die Hard and Die Hard 2? Kristin Minter? Bonnie Bedelia? Catherine O’Hara? [bonus point if you can identify her actual last name]
BONNIE BEDELIA [Culkin]
3. Long Zheng Hu Dou is the Mandarin title for which Bruce Lee film? The Big Boss? Game Of Death? Enter The Dragon?
ENTER THE DRAGON
4. What is the name of the lead character in The Hustler? Eddie Felson? Bert Gordon? Charlie Burns? [bonus point for naming the actor who portrayed him]
EDDIE FELSON [Paul Newman]
5. What action during a parade for Valerius Gratus leads to Ben-Hur’s condemnation to the galleys? His dog runs in the street? A tile falls from his roof? His mother sneezes as Gratus passes?
A TILE FALLS FROM HIS ROOF
6. “The stuff that dreams are made of” is on the AFI list of top 100 movie quotations. Which film is it from? Casablanca? The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre? The Maltese Falcon?
THE MALTESE FALCON
7. Who directed 1958’s Touch Of Evil? Orson Welles? John Ford? Howard Hawks?
8. What is the name of Dean Martin’s character in Rio Bravo? Buddy? Dude? Bro?
9. Which year was A Streetcar Named Desire released? 1949? 1950? 1951?
10. The script for John Carpenter’s The Thing was written by Burt Lancaster’s son, Bill. True or False?
BOUND IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Citizen Kane / The General / Seven Samurai
Poster: Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan
Actor: Laurence Olivier