[04 November 2012]
The Motorcycle Princess Diaries
Genre – Anne Hathaway as Fidel Castro, who discovers he’s the sole heir to a European country and has to receive etiquette lessons from Julie Andrews
Better Off Red
Genre – Comedy horror set in communist Russia
Genre – Romantic comedy
When You Wish Upon A Death Star
Genre – A stormtrooper daydream
The Scatmen Brothers
Genre – Horror
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What type of animal was Simba in The Lion King?
2. What colour was the shark in Jaws?
3. How many points are there on Jack Sparrow’s hat, in the Pirates Of The Caribbean series?
4. How many James Bond films has Daniel Craig appeared in to date?
5. Who was the lead actor in The Last Of The Mohicans?
DANIEL DAY LEWIS
6. Nightwatch and its sequel Day Watch were filmed in which country?
7. Which came first, the Men In Black TV series, film or comic book?
8. Disney’s Peter Pan was released in which year?
9. Blousey Brown, Fat Sam, Tallulah and Dandy Dan are characters in which 1976 musical?
10. What was the title to the sequel of 1987’s Stakeout?
ROUND II: Filming [Communists In Film Special]
1. The Killing Fields is set in which country? China? Laos? Cambodia?
2. Which of the following is not a subtitle to Steven Soderbergh’s two part drama about Che Guevara? Revolutionary? Guerrilla? The Argentine?
3. Which actress played the eponymous role of Frida Kahlo in 2002? Salma Hayek? Penelope Cruz? Sofia Vergara?
4. What does JSA stand for in Park Chan-wook’s film of the same name? Justice Strike Airbase? Joint Security Area? Judicially Sanctioned Army?
JOINT SECURITY AREA
5. What colour is the ink that Dreyman uses to type up his article on suicide rates in East Germany, in The Lives Of Others? Red? Blue? Green?
6. Of Sergei Eisenstein’s silent communist trilogy, which was the first to be released? October? Battleship Potemkin? Strike?
7. Which of the following did not appear in Good Night, And Good Luck? Jeff Daniels? Robert Downey Jnr? Chris Cooper?
8. What is the item that Lee Jin-seok finds among his brother’s possessions that causes him to break down at the end of Taegukgi (Brotherhood)? Silver Pen? Gold Watch? Wooden Sword?
9. The following is the poster tagline for which film: “In our time no foreign army has ever occupied American soil.. until now”? Silent Night? Hamburger Hill? Red Dawn?
10. Robin Williams ad-libbed all his broadcasts in Good Morning, Vietnam. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. How many feature films has Roman Polanski directed to date?
2. What two nicknames does Ned Ryerson give to Phil to identify himself in Groundhog Day? (one point per correct answer)
NEEDLENOSE NED / NED THE HEAD
3. 1997’s The Brave was which actor’s directorial debut?
4. How many films feature both Owen Wilson and Ben Stiller?
5. Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks have appeared on screen together in three films. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO / SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE / YOU’VE GOT MAIL
6. A toy version of the Miyazaki character Totoro cameos in which Toy Story film?
TOY STORY 3
7. Of the 14 crewmen of the two shuttles in Armageddon, how many live to see the end of the film?
8. Who directed The Evil Dead trilogy?
9. Director Doug Liman approached Russell Crowe and Sylvester Stallone before eventually casting Matt Damon in which film?
THE BOURNE IDENTITY
10. What did Tim Burton direct before Charlie And The Chocolate Factory and after Planet Of The Apes?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Who plays the leading lady in Dial M For Murder? Vera Miles? Grace Kelly? Tippi Hedren?
2. Which of the following is not one of the two Gecko brothers in From Dusk Till Dawn? Seth? Richie? Scott?
3. What is the name of the man Tony kills at the start of Scarface? Emilio Rebenga? Ernesto Gonzalez? Esteban Huerta?
4. What is the running time for Singin’ In The Rain? 96 minutes? 103 minutes? 115 minutes?
5. Which actress played the lead role in 1935’s Annie Oakley? Barbara Stanwyck? Jean Harlow? Olivia de Havilland?
6. What is the acronym for the leaked memo highlighting the pros and cons of going to war in In The Loop? PIP PWIP? PWIP PWIP? PWIP PIP?
7. What is the subtitle to The Human Centipede? Flesh And Fantasy? First Sequence? Full Flesh Thorax?
8. Which of the following Stephen King novels was not adapted into a movie by Rob Reiner? Stand By Me? Dreamcatcher? Misery?
9. During the closing shots of Se7en, Detective Somerset quotes which Ernest Hemingway novel? The Old Man And The Sea? A Farewell To Arms? For Whom The Bell Tolls? (“The world is a fine place and worth fighting for”)
FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS
10. Despite the title, there are no funerals in Four Weddings And A Funeral. True or False?
BOUND IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Escape From New York / Tomorrow Never Dies / Anchorman
Poster: The Princess Bride
Actor: Alec Guinness