[21 October 2012]
Who Shot JRR?
Genre – A whodunit mystery
The Motherboard Of The Rings
Genre – Disaster movie in which an IT meltdown results in humanity reverting to huts in grass, horses and folk songs
Stored In The Rings
Genre – Four wide-eyed Hobbits smuggle illegal drugs in an uncomfortable place all the way from the Shire to Mount Doom
Bored Of The Rings
Genre – A documentary about the first half of the first book
Fellowship Of The Things
Genre – Horror
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is George Bank’s relation to Annie Banks in Father Of The Bride?
2. Oliver Stone’s Alexander tells the story of which leader?
ALEXANDER THE GREAT
3. Who directed The Shining?
4. The following songs are from which film: Summer Nights, Hopelessly Devoted To You and You’re The One That I Want?
5. How many dice are used in Jumanji?
6. Taken is set in which European city?
7. Elizabeth was released in which year?
8. Who are the three top-billed actors in Galaxy Quest? (one point per correct answer)
TIM ALLEN / SIGOURNEY WEAVER / ALAN RICKMAN
9. How many Odd Couple films were made?
10. Who played the lead role in Brett Ratner’s The Family Man?
ROUND II: Filming [The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Special]
1. What is the name of the Elven co-ruler of Lothlorien? Gil-galad? Arwen? Galadriel?
2. What is Gollum’s real name? Deagol? Smeagol? Grima?
3. Which of the following characters do not live to see the end of the trilogy? Eowyn? Pipin? Boromir?
4. How many rings were given by Sauron to the race of men? 8? 9? 10?
5. Faramir first appears in which film? The Fellowship Of The Ring? The Two Towers? The Return Of The King?
THE TWO TOWERS
6. The battering ram used to enter Minas Tirith, in Return Of The King, is shaped like what animal? Dragon? Wolf? Lion? [bonus point for stating the battering ram’s name]
7. What does the Elvish word Mellon mean? Friend? Fire? Run?
8. Frodo, Sam and Gollum are led to which city when they are attacked by Orcs and Nazgul, at the end of The Two Towers? Tharbad? Kazad-dum? Osgiliath?
9. Which character kicks Denothor into the funeral pyre, in Return Of The King? Aragorn? Shadowfax? Eomer?
10. The same number of characters feature on each of the three main posters. True or False?
FALSE (F20 T10 R6)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Finish the quote from Training Day, “To protect the sheep you gotta catch the wolf. And it takes a [?] to catch a wolf”
2. What is Druidia’s five digit shield combination, in Spaceballs?
3. Which actor plays Eugene Jerome’s drill sergeant in Bloxi Blues?
4. In what year was the Hong Kong film Police Story released?
5. In the Indiana Jones series, Henry Jones Jnr and Snr are afraid of what respectively? (one point per correct answer)
SNAKES / RATS
6. Lt Jnr Grade Daniel Kaffee, Lt Cmdr Joanne Galloway and Colonel Nathan Jessep are characters in which military court room drama?
A FEW GOOD MEN
7. The opening dialogue in Snatch is allegedly a reference to which Tarantino film?
8. The following is the poster tagline for which film “How much blood would you shed to stay alive”?
9. Arnold Schwarzenegger, James Belushi, Peter Boyle, Gina Gershon and Laurence Fishburne all starred in which film?
10. Which two films were released on 08-Jun-84 under the newly dubbed genre horror comedy? (one point per correct answer)
GHOSTBUSTERS / GREMLINS
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What is Max’s surname in the Mad Max series? Cundalini? Rockatansky? Diabando?
2. How many films has Milos Forman directed? 9? 12? 18?
3. Who plays the role of landowner Frank Harlan, opposite Clint Eastwood, in Joe Kidd? Dennis Hopper? James Caan? Robert Duvall?
4. Who cameoed as Paul McCartney in Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story? Justin Long? Jason Schwartzman? Jack Black?
5. What form of transport does Ellie initially use to get to New York, whereon she meets Peter, in It Happened One Night? Train? Bus? Plane?
6. The following is a quote from which film, “I am a Cambridge man, first and last. I am an Englishman, first and last. What I have achieved, what I intend to achieve, is for my family, my university and my country”? Chariots Of Fire? Eight Men Out? Play It To The Bone?
CHARIOTS OF FIRE
7. Who was originally cast as Jack Ryan in The Hunt For Red October, before Alec Baldwin was hired? Bruce Willis? Kevin Bacon? Kevin Costner? [bonus point for naming the film that John McTiernan had to pass up, in order to direct THFRO]
KEVIN COSTNER [Die Hard 2]
8. Bill Murray has how many siblings? Five? Seven? Eight?
9. How many films feature both Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall? 4? 6? 8? [bonus points for identifying how old Bogart and Bacall were when they first met]
FOUR (To Have And Have Not, The Big Sleep, Dark Passage, Key Largo) [19 / 44]
10. Whilst filming Heartbreak Ridge, Clint Eastwood was also the mayor of Carmel in California. True or False?
BOUND IMAGE ROUND
Screenshots: Sleeping Beauty / Rebel Without A Cause / Independence Day
Poster: Bicentennial Man
Actor: Jason Isaacs