[12 August 2012]
Frankie Goes To Planet Hollywood
Genre – Holly Johnson and his new career
Scarlet Johansson And The Mysterons
Genre – Erotic sci-fi odyssey
The Bourne In 1984 Legacy
Genre – Thriller documentary comedy
The Porn Legacy
Genre – Porn
Genre – Mystery
Everybody John Hurts
Genre – Romantic comedy sci-fi
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut is based on which TV show?
2. Norman Bates is a character in which Hitchcock film?
3. Who composed the score for The Lion King, Gladiator and The Dark Knight?
4. What is the name of the villain in One Hundred And One Dalmatians?
CRUELLA DE VIL
5. Black Beauty was released in which year?
6. Under Siege and Under Siege 2: Dark Territory take place on which types of vehicle? (one point per correct answer)
SHIP / TRAIN
7. Who played Captain Ahab in John Huston’s Moby Dick?
8. What was the title of the 1959 William Castle / Vincent Price horror film, remade in 1999?
HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL
9. The following is the poster tagline for which film, “Off the record, on the QT and very hush hush”?
10. What did Paul Verhoeven direct after Showgirls and before Hollow Man? [bonus point for spelling Verhoeven]
STARSHIP TROOPERS [Verhoeven]
ROUND II: Filming [Actors/Actresses born in 1984]
1. (Scarlett Johansson) Where does Chris see Nola after she returns to London, in Match Point? Tate Modern? National Gallery? British Museum?
2. (Olivia Wilde) What is the name of CLU’s masked right-hand man in Tron: Legacy? Castor? Rinzler? Shaddix?
3. (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) What is the name of the three step systematic terrorist attack used in Die Hard 4.0? eBlitz? Red letter day? Fire sale?
4. (Freida Pinto) Who directed 2011’s Immortals? Tarsem Singh? Zack Snyder? Nick Hamm?
5. (Jena Malone) Excluding the ‘brothel level’ how many unique fantasy sequences are shown, in Sucker Punch? 3? 4? 5? [bonus points for identifying them]
FOUR [Feudal Japan / Steampunk WWI / Orc castle / Science fiction train]
6. (Mandy Moore) In Southland Tales, what does UPU stand for? Urban Pacification Unit? Urgent Police Unit? Unregistered Patrol Unit?
URBAN PACIFICATION UNIT
7. (Paul Dano) In Where The Wild Things Are, Paul Dano portrays the role of Alexander, who resembles which animal? Bull? Goat? Bird?
8. (Gaspard Ulliel) In A Very Long Engagement, Manech tries to escape the trenches by getting shot where? Foot? Shoulder? Hand?
9. (Chiaki Kuriyama) How does the first student die in Battle Royale? Knife to the head? Exploding collar? Crossbow arrow to the neck?
KNIFE TO THE HEAD
10. (Garrett Hedlund) Much to the frustration of international audiences, Wolfgang Petersen specifically handpicked who would dub Brad Pitt’s character for the international release of Troy. True or False?
TRUE (Germans heard Nicolas Cage and Italians heard Val Kilmer)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The following is a quote from which film, “Fire: The untamed element, oldest of man’s mysteries, giver of warmth, destroyer of forests. Right now this building is on fire. Leave the building. Enact the age old drama of self preservation”
GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH
2. What is the name of Tre Styles’ father, played by Laurence Fishburne, in Boyz N The Hood?
3. Without adjusting for inflation, what are the three highest grossing films to date? (one point per correct answer)
AVATAR [2.7bil] / TITANIC [2.1bil] / THE AVENGERS [1.4bil]
4. Total Recall is set in which year?
5. In The Witches Of Eastwick, what is Daryl attempting to buy when the witches use the voodoo doll to banish him?
6. While in a coffee shop, in Coffee and Cigarettes, RZA and GZA meet which actor preparing for a role?
7. Moonwalker is made up of how many individual segments (excluding the two during the end credits)?
8. Which two Clint Eastwood directed westerns contain heavy elements of religious and supernatural elements? (one point per correct answer)
HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER / PALE RIDER
9. What was the subtitle of the sequel to Arthur, made seven years after the original?
ARTHUR 2: ON THE ROCKS
10. Euclid is the name of Max’s computer in which film?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What is the name of Han’s chief bodyguard in Enter The Dragon? Roper? Bolo? Lee?
2. Who played the lead role in 1958’s The Old Man And The Sea? Spencer Tracy? Charlton Heston? Gary Cooper?
3. In what year was Warner Bros. Studios founded? 1912? 1918? 1924? [bonus point for stating what Warner Bros. changed their name to five years later]
1918 [Warner Bros. Pictures]
4. Which of the following elements from Superman originated in the comic, rather than the film? The name of Clark’s hometown is Smallville? Kryptonian crystal technology? The S stands for house of El, not Superman?
THE NAME OF CLARK’S HOMETOWN IS SMALLVILLE
5. Who directed 1974’s Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore? Francis Ford Coppola? Martin Scorsese? Roman Polanski?
6. Which classical piece was played at the start of 1915’s Birth Of A Nation during its opening run? In The Hall Of The Mountain King? Flight Of The Bumblebee? The Hunt On Fowl’s Legs?
IN THE HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN KING
7. Why is Plato being held in police custody at the start of Rebel Without A Cause? For drowning stray cats? For stabbing livestock? For shooting puppies?
FOR SHOOTING PUPPIES
8. Klute is a 1971 film named for its lead character, played by Donald Sutherland. What is his first name? Peter? Frank? John?
9. How does Cody Jarrett exact revenge on Parker, after he attempts to kill him, in White Heat? Beats him to death with a wrench? Pushes him in front of a train? Shoots him while locked in the boot of a car?
SHOOTS HIM WHILE LOCKED IN THE BOOT OF A CAR
10. John Landis, Steven Spielberg and several other crew members were taken to court for involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment whilst filming Twilight Zone: The Movie. True or False?
TRUE (Actor Vic Morrow and two young Vietnamese children were instantly killed when a helicopter fell on them during filming)