[26 August 2012]
Practical Magic Mike
Genre – Channing Tatum and Nicole Kidman play two sisters dealing with a curse on their family’s stripping business
Dirty Harry Potter And The Witches Of Eastwood
Genre – A harrowing teen angst drama
Whatever Happened To David Blaine
Genre – Tragedy
Genre – Urban drama about three witches in ‘da hood’
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What type of animal is the dominant species in Planet Of The Apes?
2. What colour is Indiana Jones’ hat?
3. What is the name of the boy that befriends E.T. in the film of the same name? [bonus point for naming the actor who portrayed him]
ELLIOT [Henry Thomas]
4. Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, The Big Sleep and In A Lonely Place all starred which actor?
5. Draw Superman’s chest-piece symbol.
One point if distinguishable, two points if drawn well
6. Who played the title role in 1948’s Hamlet?
7. What were the titles of the two Bond films starring Timothy Dalton? (one point per correct answer)
THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS / LICENCE TO KILL
8. The following is a quote from which film, “Bangarang”?
9. What are the names of the two crooks trying to thwart Kevin McCallister in Home Alone? (one point per correct answer)
HARRY LYME / MARV MERCHANTS
10. Stag film was the original name for which genre of film?
ROUND II: Filming [Magic/Magicians]
1. What does Geppetto wish to/upon/at to bring Pinocchio to life, in Pinocchio? The Moon? A Star? The souls of his ancestors?
2. Which actor voices the role of The Pagemaster in the film of the same name? Jeremy Irons? Christopher Lloyd? Ian McKellen?
3. What colour is Borden’s rubber ball in The Prestige? Red? Brown? Purple?
4. The Illusionist takes place in which city? Vienna? Venice? Versailles?
5. What is the name of Sarah’s teddy bear which she finds in Toby’s room at the start of Labyrinth? Cornelius? Humphrey? Lancelot?
6. What is the name of the Dwarven race in Willow? Nelwyn? Daikini? Bavmorda?
7. Who played Houdini in the 1953 film of the same name? Alan Ladd? Richard Burton? Tony Curtis?
8. Which of the following is not a quote from Penn & Teller Get Killed? Better take the drain cleaner out of your mouth, this is getting serious? The movie is called Penn & Teller Get Killed, we had to get killed at the end, there’s no way out of that? If I have to hunt you down and stab you again, I’m gonna be furious?
IF I HAVE TO HUNT YOU DOWN AND STAB YOU AGAIN, I’M GONNA BE FURIOUS
9. Who directed 1958’s The Magician? Ingmar Bergman? Werner Herzog? Georg Wilhelm Pabst?
10. Due to the critical and commercial disaster that was 2005’s The Magic Roundabout, none of the main cast have been asked to provide voice-over work since. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Excluding the upcoming On Her Majesty’s Service, how many live action Asterix & Obelix films have been released to date?
THREE (A&O Take On Caesar / A&O: Mission Cleopatra / Asterix At The Olympic Games)
2. What is the title of Georges Melies’ iconic and most recognised silent film?
VOYAGE TO THE MOON (one point) / LA VOYAGE DANS LA LUNE (two points)
3. How old is Mathilda in Leon?
4. The following is a quote from which film, “Due to the Nakatomi Corporation’s legacy of greed around the globe, they are about to be taught a lesson in the real use of power. You will be witnesses”?
5. What startles Judy, causing her to fall at the end of Vertigo?
6. 1974’s Chinatown grossed $29.2 million at the box office. What was its budget?
SIX MILLION DOLLARS
7. Lawrence Of Arabia, Cromwell and HMS Defiant all starred which actor?
8. In Jurassic Park, what six words precede the iconic line “Welcome to Jurassic Park”? (exact words for point)
“DR GRANT, MY DEAR DR SATLER..”
9. Randle McMurphy is the main character in which film?
ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST
10. Who composed the scores for Fiddler On The Roof, Valley Of The Dolls and Schindler’s List?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following is not an actual film title? Santa Claus Conquers The Martians? Hillbilly Politics For Beginners? Sssssss?
HILLBILLY POLITICS FOR BEGINNERS
2. How many times has 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea been adapted for cinema (which excludes TV movies and cameos)? 2? 3? 4?
THREE (1907 / 1916 / 1954)
3. Ivan The Terrible: Part II was finished two years after the release of Part I. How many years passed before it was shown to the public? 12? 16? 21?
4. “The great adventure, the great entertainment” was the poster tagline for which film? The Great Gatsby? The Great Journey? The Great Escape?
THE GREAT ESCAPE
5. What was the title of F.W. Murnau’s last film made in Germany before he moved to America? Nosferatu? Faust? Sehnsucht?
6. What was the name of the character played by George Sanders in All About Eve? Addison DeWitt? Bill Sampson? Max Fabian? [bonus point for naming the Disney villain voiced by George Sanders]
ADDISON DEWITT [Shere Khan]
7. What item does Shukichi give Noriko at the end of Tokyo Story? A Necklace? Earrings? A Watch?
8. What name does Brigid O’Shaughnessey give when she first meets Sam Spade, in The Maltese Falcon? Rebecca Wondrous? Ruth Wonderly? Rachel Wonderman?
9. Citizen Kane was originally released by which studio? RKO Radio Pictures? Twentieth Century Pictures? Fox Film Corporation?
RKO RADIO PICTURES
10. Despite being born in England, Daniel Day-Lewis has never played an Englishman on film. True or False?