[15 July 2012]
The Hole In The Alcove Gang (Bolivian Army Olympic Security Squad)
Genre – 2012 Stratford-based documentary
The Newman Centipede
Genre – Science fiction
The Dark Shite Rises
Genre – A cleaner’s unpleasant biopic
Something, Something, Batman
Genre – Mystery
David Cassidy & The Karate Kid
Genre – Karate musical
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What was the name of the sequel to Wayne’s World?
WAYNE’S WORLD II
2. Sonny Landham played a character named Billy in Predator. What was the name of his character in 48 Hrs?
3. Quasimodo is the main character in which Disney film?
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
4. Who played the lead role in 1968’s Bullitt?
5. In the film Hook, Rufio’s hair is dyed two colours. List them. (one point per correct answer)
BLACK / RED
6. What was the second Monty Python film?
THE HOLY GRAIL
7. The Wicked Witch that was murdered by Dorothy at the start of The Wizard Of Oz takes her name from which compass direction?
8. What were the titles of the two volcano films released in 1997?
VOLCANO / DANTE’S PEAK
9. What is the name of Winston’s lover in Nineteen Eighty Four?
10. How many Halloween films star Donald Pleasence?
FIVE (Halloween / Halloween II / 4: The Return Of Michael Myers / 5: Revenge Of.. / 6: Curse Of..)
ROUND II: Filming [Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid Round]
1. Which of the following starred in Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid? Paul Newman? Robert Redford? Katharine Ross?
2. Which character has a moustache? The Sundance Kid? Etta Place? Butch Cassidy?
THE SUNDANCE KID
3. What is the name of Butch’s gang? The Wild Bunch? Hole In The Wall? Sons Of Silence?
HOLE IN THE WALL GANG
4. Which South American country does Butch frequently suggest they relocate to? Chile? Peru? Bolivia?
5. Which of the following did Butch and Sundance not rob? Wagon? Train? Bank?
6. How many men are on the posse that chase Butch and Sundance? Five? Six? Seven?
7. What was the name of the Burt Bacharach song which was recorded for the film and won an Oscar? I Say A Little Prayer? Walk On By? Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head?
RAINDROPS KEEP FALLING ON MY HEAD
8. What is the name of the gang member that challenges Butch for leadership? Harvey Logan? George Curry? Jack Ketchum?
9. What gives away Butch and Sundance’s identity to the police and army at the end of the film? Sundance’s pistols? A branded mule? Marked bank notes?
10. For the famous cliff jump scene, Newman and Redford signed several documents to waive the need for stuntmen and performed the stunt themselves. True or False?
FALSE (Newman often talked Redford out of performing stunts himself)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The following is one of the opening lines from which British film, “I don’t want to spoil it but I’ll say one word: Icarus. If you get it, great. If you don’t that’s fine too but you should probably read more”?
24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE
2. What do the villagers of Summerisle grow and hope their sacrifice will restore, in The Wicker Man?
3. To date, Woody Allen has directed 42 feature films. Where is Match Point on that list?
4. Who played Thomas Jerome Newton in The Man Who Fell To Earth?
5. What subject does Barbara Covett (Judi Dench’s character) teach, in Notes On A Scandal?
6. What does Ace do for a living, much to Jimmy’s surprise, in Quadrophenia?
7. Quills tells the story of which author?
MARQUIS DE SADE
8. Queen contributed music to which two films? (one point per correct answer)
FLASH GORDON / HIGHLANDER
9. Which year saw the release of War Of The Worlds, King Kong and Charlie And The Chocolate Factory?
10. The six major film studios are Warner Bros, Paramount, Fox, Universal, Disney and Sony. What are the four mini-majors? (one point per correct answer)
DREAMWORKS / LIONSGATE / MGM / WEINSTEIN CO
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which actor made his feature film debut in The Lion In Winter, as Richard The Lionheart? Peter O’Toole? Timothy Dalton? Anthony Hopkins?
2. Chariots Of Fire takes place during which Olympic games? 1920? 1924? 1928?
3. The History Boys takes place in which UK city? Sheffield? Leeds? Preston?
4. Ginger, Rocky and Babs are characters in which animated film? Flushed Away? Arthur Christmas? Chicken Run?
5. Where does Stanley work in Bedazzled? McDonald’s? Wimpy? Little Chef? [bonus point for naming the actor who plays the role of Stanley]
WIMPY [Dudley Moore]
6. Which of the following is the original title for Kirk Jones’ 1998 debut film? Waking Ned? Waking Ned Devine? Playing Dead?
7. What is the only similarity between 1973’s The Day Of The Jackal and 1997’s The Jackal? Sidney Poitier appeared in both films? Assassination attempt on a French president? The assassin nicknamed The Jackal?
ASSASSIN NICKNAMED THE JACKAL
8. Who starred in the lead role in The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain? Ralph Fiennes? Hugh Grant? Richard E. Grant?
9. Throughout A Fish Called Wanda, which of George’s eyes is covered with a patch? Right? Left? Neither?
NEITHER (Ken wears the eye-patch)
10. Although everyone recognises the Hellraiser character by its nickname, Pinhead, this name is never used in any of the films. True or False?
FALSE (first used in Hellraiser III)