[01 July 2012]
Genre – A witty film about puns and play-on words
The Wizard Of Stoghz
Genre – Hyper-violent self-aware road trip cum criticism fuelled film with Munchkins and ruby slippers
Black To The Fuchsia
Genre – Neo-noir
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What was the professional nickname for boxer Jake LaMotta, in Raging Bull?
2. Who starred in the lead role in To Kill A Mocking Bird?
3. What age rating was given to Jurassic Park?
4. ‘I believe in Harvey Dent’ and ‘Why so serious?’ were poster taglines for which film?
THE DARK KNIGHT
5. Who directed Apocalypse Now?
FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA
6. Complete the quote from Back To The Future: “Where we’re going, we don’t need..”
7. What colour is Clint Eastwood’s poncho at the end of The Good, The Bad & The Ugly?
8. Rashomon, Audition and Himizu were all filmed in which country?
9. Gene Kelly, Donald O’Connor and Debbie Reynolds starred in which 1952 musical comedy?
SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN
10. The finale of North By Northwest takes place on which US national monument?
ROUND II: Filming [Films With Colours In The Title Special Round]
1. Name one of the films in Kieslowski’s Three Colours trilogy. Blue? White? Red?
2. Which of the following did not star in Jackie Brown? Michael Keaton? Harvey Keitel? Robert DeNiro?
3. In which year was The Pink Panther released? 1964? 1968? 1972?
4. What is the name of the game show in Magnolia? Kids don’t know anything? Kids know when to say no? What do kids know?
WHAT DO KIDS KNOW
5. What is the name of the fort that Captain Brittles commands in She Wore A Yellow Ribbon? Barton? Starke? Rogers?
6. The Colour Purple lost out on the best picture Oscar to which film? Out Of Africa? Amadeus? Platoon?
OUT OF AFRICA
7. What are the students doing when they hear the news that WWII has broken out in Paul Verhoeven’s Soldier Of Orange? Having a picnic? Swimming? Playing tennis?
8. Which film does John Coffey request to watch before he is executed, in The Green Mile? Swing Time? Top Hat? Roberta?
9. What do the Blue Meanies use to immobilise the Pepperlanders during their initial attack, in Yellow Submarine? Apples? Bubbles? Feathers?
10. 1948’s The Red Shoes is based on a fairytale by Hans Christian Anderson. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. During the opening scene of Battle Royale we see that the previous tournament’s winner is a young girl. What type of stuffed farm animal is she clutching when she meets the press?
2. How many characters appear on the standard poster for Flatliners?
3. What two things scare Austin Powers in the film of the same name? (one point per correct answer)
NUCLEAR WAR / CARNIES
4. In the Assembly Cut for Alien 3, the xenomorph emerges from which animal?
5. What nationality is Ian Holm’s character in 1989’s Henry V? [bonus point for naming the character]
6. Big Dan Teague, Homer Stokes, George ‘Baby Face’ Nelson and Pappy O’Daniel are all supporting characters in which film?
O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?
7. How many lines does Arnold Schwarzenegger deliver in The Terminator?
8. The following quote is from which film: “For nearly 3000 years man has been searching for (this artefact). It’s not something to be taken lightly; no one knows its secrets. It’s like nothing you’ve ever gone after before”?
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
9. How many films has Wes Anderson co-written with Owen Wilson?
10. At the start of the film Event Horizon, how many years has the eponymous vessel been missing?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was the biggest box office earner in 1947? Unconquered? Miracle On 34th Street? Cass Timberlane?
2. Who directed The Magdalene Sisters? Ken Loach? Peter Mullan? Jim Sheridan?
3. What breed of moth features in The Silence Of The Lambs? Sunset Moth? Gypsy Moth? Hawkmoth?
4. The Pianist features several pieces by which composer? Chopin? Mahler? Schubert?
5. 1927’s The Jazz Singer starred which actor? Buddy Rogers? Al Jolson? Nick Lucas?
6. Who plays the Soviet doctor in The Hunt For Red October? Sam Neill? Stellan Skarsgard? Tim Curry?
7. In the original Ocean’s 11, Danny plans on robbing how many casinos? 5? 6? 7?
8. The Three Musketeers (’73), The Island Of Doctor Moreau (’77) and The Land Before Time VII all featured which actor? Oliver Reed? Michael York? Charlton Heston?
9. Three Sisters was the last film directed by which actor? Richard Attenborough? Alec Guinness? Laurence Olivier?
10. In John Carpenter’s They Live, only one character has a first and last name. True or False?