[11 March 2012]
The Team Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest And Ran Away
Genre – Swedish thriller
The Bungle Games
Genre – Dystopian nightmare in which a tyrannical Geoffrey Hayes make poor George & Zippy fight for their lives!
The Girl With Not Quite So Much Acting Talent As The Other One
Genre – A Harrowing hollywood rehash
Late Afternoon In Norwich
Genre – Romantic Comedy
Let The Right Wing One In
Genre – A small boy befriends Michael Gove and horror ensues
L’Original Etait Mieux (The Original Was Better)
Genre – New wave musical horror
Genre – Science fiction
We Bought A Kazoo
Genre – Matt Damon goes on a musical adventure of self discovery
As Yet Untitled Project
Genre – Unspecified
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the ghost played by Michael Keaton in Beetlejuice? (2 bonus points for correct spelling)
2. What was the name of the British spy played by Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton, Daniel Craig and others?
3. What was the name of Dorothy’s dog in The Wizard Of Oz?
4. Who plays Sister Mary Clarence in Sister Act? [bonus point for the character’s actual name]
WHOOPI GOLDBERG [Deloris Van Cartier]
5. According to the infamous quote from Braveheart, William Wallace says, “They can take our lives but they’ll never take our..” what?
6. What is the name of Jeff Bridges’ character in The Big Lebowski?
DUDE (1 point) / JEFFREY LEBOWSKI (2 points)
7. How many films are in the Lethal Weapon franchise?
8. In what year was The Karate Kid released?
9. Pan’s Labyrinth is set in which country?
10. Which leg does Dietrichson break in Double Indemnity?
ROUND II: Filming [Remakes Of Foreign Language Films Special]
1. Christopher Nolan’s Insomnia is a remake of which Norwegian film? Crazy Days, Restless Nights? Insomnia? Can’t Get No Sleep?
2. In Scent Of A Woman, Al Pacino’s character is deprived of which sense? Sight? Hearing? Smell?
3. Which cast member of Vanilla Sky featured in the original, Abre Los Ojos? Tom Cruise? Cameron Diaz? Penelope Cruz? [bonus point for translating the original title]
PENELOPE CRUZ [Open Your Eyes]
4. The Magnificent Seven is based on Seven Samurai which was made by which Japanese director? Yasujiro Ozu? Akira Kurosawa? Koji Wakamatsu?
5. Let Me In is set in which year? 1980? 1981? 1983?
6. In Ringu the dead girl that haunts the video tape is named Sadako, what is her name in the Gore Verbinski adaptation? Samantha? Samira? Samara?
7. M, the 1931 classic German film starring Peter Lorre was remade in America how many years later? 20? 30? 40?
8. The original Three Men And A Baby was filmed in which country? Spain? Germany? France?
FRANCE (Trois Hommes Et Un Couffin)
9. A Fistful Of Dollars is a remake of which Japanese film? Kagemusha? Yojimbo? Ikiru?
10. At one point, Tim Roth, Harvey Keitel, Steve Buscemi and Michael Madsen were all set to star in The Departed before scheduling conflicts meant they had to pull out. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. To date David Fincher has directed nine feature-length films. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
ALIEN 3 / SEVEN / THE GAME / FIGHT CLUB / PANIC ROOM / ZODIAC / THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON / THE SOCIAL NETWORK / THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
2. Sunset Boulevard opens with screenwriter Joe Gills narrating about his death. Where is the body discovered?
FLOATING IN THE SWIMMING POOL
3. What did Barry Sonnenfeld direct in between Get Shorty and Wild Wild West?
MEN IN BLACK
4. What do Garry and Wyatt name their female creation, in Weird Science?
5. What year was Lady And The Tramp released?
6. Charlie Allnut and Rose Sayer are the lead characters in which 1952 John Huston film?
THE AFRICAN QUEEN
7. David Lynch’s Eraserhead was filmed on-and-off over how many years?
8. The following is a quote from which film, “Greed in all its forms: greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge, has marked the upward surge of mankind”?
9. The susuwatari (Soot Sprites) appear in which two Hayao Miyazaki films? (one point per correct answer)
MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO / SPIRITED AWAY
10. How many men are in Dutch’s unit in Predator? (including Dutch, excluding Dillon and Anna Gonsalves)
SIX (Dutch / Mac / Blain / Poncho / Hawkins / Billy)
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Who played the title role in 1968’s The Boston Strangler? Tony Curtis? Kirk Douglas? Donald Pleasance?
2. What is the last city to be destroyed by asteroids in Armageddon? New York? Paris? Helsinki?
3. The Lost Weekend primarily deals with what affliction? Sex Addiction? Gambling? Alcoholism?
4. Who directed The Searchers? John Ford? Howard Hawks? John Huston?
5. In Reservoir Dogs, when describing Joe Cabot to his partner, Mr. Orange references which comic book series? The Incredible Hulk? Fantastic Four? X-Men?
FANTASTIC FOUR (specifically Ben ‘The Thing’ Grimm)
6. Which of the following gangs did not appear in The Warriors? The Hurricanes? The Moonrunners? The Blazers?
7. What is the name of Maria’s robot double (and Rotwang’s dead wife) in Metropolis? Bel? Hel? Zel?
8. Which actor starred in Cinderella Man, Planet Of The Apes (2001) and Saving Private Ryan? Paul Giamatti? Michael Clarke Duncan? Barry Pepper?
9. The Secret Of Kells is set in which century? Fifth? Seventh? Eighth?
10. Helen Mirren doubled as a dialect coach for the majority of the Irish cast members in John Boorman’s Excalibur. True or False?