[12 February 2012]
The Quiz Team In Black
Genre – Mourning the loss of Team Name
Genre – A day in the life of two fantasy priests, annoying devoters of their joy
Houston Had A Problem
Genre – Tom Hanks has to get Whitney down from a great high
Nothing Can Destroy The Grimace
Genre – Harrowing, gritty kitchen-sink drama focusing on everyone’s favourite milkshake monster.. makes Cathy Come Home look shit
Genre – Lesbian rom-com set in the woods
Jon & Sara Make A Porno
Genre – Harrowing comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of Travis’ dog in 1957’s Old Yeller?
2. Which actor starred in Bachelor Party, Philadelphia and Cast Away?
3. In 300, Leonidas is king of which Greek nation?
4. Which plays is central to the script of Shakespeare In Love? [bonus point for the second play, which is drawn upon equally]
ROMEO & JULIET [Twelfth Night]
5. Which US president starred alongside Errol Flynn in Desperate Journey, in 1942?
6. Who played Detectives Tango and Cash in the film of the same name? (one point per correct answer) [bonus points for the Detective’s first names]
SYLVESTER STALLONE / KURT RUSSELL [Ray / Gabriel]
7. The Aristocats is set in which country? [bonus point for the year it’s set]
8. Which actor has played an archaeologist, an intergalactic smuggler, a president and a fugitive?
9. Which Star Wars film features the following quote, “Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating through an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to one”?
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
10. What two digit number is printed on Herbie?
ROUND II: Filming [Joseph Gordon-Levitt Special]
1. Who directed last year’s horror, Red State? Kevin Smith? Alfred Hitchcock? Mel Gibson?
2. Which industry do Holden and Banky work for in Chasing Amy? Film? Comic book? Music?
3. Which Smith film features cameos by Gus Van Sant, Wes Craven, Judd Nelson and Mark Hamill? Chasing Amy? Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back? Dogma?
JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK
4. Bruce Willis instructed Smith to write a comedy film for him after meeting on which film set? Die Hard 4.0? Planet Terror? Over The Hedge? [bonus point for naming the film Smith wrote]
DIE HARD 4.0 [Cop Out]
5. What is the first change in the Catholicism Wow campaign, in Dogma? 3D Stained glass windows? Edible Rosary beads? Upbeat Statue of Jesus?
BUDDY CHRIST STATUE
6. What is the name of the game show in Mallrats? Truth Or Date? Leap Of Faith? Single Setup?
TRUTH OR DATE
7. Including cameos, how many of the Clerks cast return for Clerks II? Four? Six? Eight?
SIX [Dante, Randal, Jay, Silent Bob, Cigarettes Guy (Walt Flanagan) and Milk Lady (Grace Smith)]
8. Who plays Ollie’s (Affleck) wife, Gertrude, in Jersey Girl? Jennifer Garner? Jennifer Lopez? Jennifer Anniston?
9. Clerks is set in which New Jersey town? Lincroft? Navesink? Leonardo?
10. Despite their characters being the same age in Zack & Miri Make A Porno, Elizabeth Banks is actually ten years older than Seth Rogen. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What year was the first Muppet movie released?
2. Name the four friends/central characters in Lock, Stock & Two Smokin’ Barrels. (one point per correct answer)
EDDIE / TOM / SOAP / BACON
3. Burnham, Raoul and Junior are the villains in which David Fincher film?
4. In which film does Claude Rains not show his face until the final scene, despite being the main character?
THE INVISIBLE MAN
5. Since his debut in 1991, how many films has Japanese director Takashi Miike filmed?
6. In Die Hard, John McClane is barefoot because he was ‘making fists with his toes’. What was this in aid of?
TO OVERCOME FEAR OF FLYING
7. During an interview in Lawrence Of Arabia, T.E. Lawrence is asked what attracts him to the desert. What is his response?
8. Who directed Little Shop Of Horrors, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Indian In The Cupboard?
9. Captain Algren and Lord Katsumoto are the lead characters in which film?
THE LAST SAMURAI
10. Which actor had the nickname: The Man Of A Thousand Faces?
LON CHANEY [bonus point for writing Snr.]
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. The Maltese Falcon is set in which US city? San Francisco? New York? Chicago? [bonus point for naming the lead actress]
SAN FRANCISCO [Mary Astor]
2. What did Francis Ford Coppola direct in between The Cotton Club and Gardens Of Stone? Dracula? Peggy Sue Got Married? Rumble Fish?
PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED
3. Which of the following Howard Hawks releases is not a remake of Rio Bravo? El Dorado? Rio Lobo? Red River?
4. What is the name of the man that Harry Angel is looking for in Angel Heart? Johnny Favorite? Johnny Fontaine? Johnny Fortune?
5. The Way We Were was nominated for six Academy Awards. How many did it win? Two? Four? Six? [bonus point for naming the film’s director]
TWO [Sydney Pollack]
6. What was Alan Parrish’s playing piece in Jumanji? Lion? Monkey? Elephant?
7. What year was Buster Keaton’s The General released? 1921? 1926? 1931?
8. In Amelie, the title character meets her reclusive neighbour, who continually repaints Luncheon Of The Boating Party by which artist? Renoir? Degas? Manet?
9. How many astronomers go to the moon in Le Voyage Dans La Lune? Five? Six? Seven?
10. Despite the iconic poster and the genre, Jack Nicholson never actually smokes in Chinatown. True or False?