[15 January 2012]
Scrutiny On The Bounty
Genre – Captain Bligh is quality controller at the mars factory and due to a coconut shortage finds himself in the middle of a full-scale industrial revolution
Free Willy 4: Seriously Willy, Stay Away From The Shore Line!
Genre – Exasperated sea-life adventure
The Iron Lady-Boy
Genre – Harrowing political transexual Taiwanese drama
Deep Blue Sea Biscuit
Genre – Adventure of a killer sea horse
Where Uggie Dares
Genre – Uggie prepares his next bid for an Oscar in this tale of a daring WW2 raid
The Love Boat That Rocked (A Lot)
Genre – Harrowing erotic thriller – director’s cut
She Sells Sea Shells: On The Sea Shore
Genre – A maritime musical starring a washed-up Meryl Streep
The Da Vinci Cod
Genre – Roman Catholic conspiracy with Captain Birdseye
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Which Leonardo DiCaprio film is about blood diamond trafficking in Africa?
2. Who played the title character in The Cable Guy?
3. Spell Scorsese.
4. The following is the poster tagline from which film: “His goal was freedom for India, his strategy was peace, his weapon was humanity”?
5. Run Lola Run was filmed in which country?
6. Which 1987 thriller starred Michael Douglas and Glenn Close as a New York attorney and an editor who have an affair?
7. What are the names of the three musketeers from the 1973 release of the same name? (one point per correct answer)
PORTHOS / ATHOS / ARAMIS
8. Animal House, Vacation, Loaded Weapon and Van Wilder were all produced by which US comedy group?
9. Which 1950 and 1991 films share the same name and plot, the first starring Spencer Tracey and the second Steve Martin?
FATHER OF THE BRIDE
10. Which personal item/heirloom does Captain Vidal repair throughout Pan’s Labyrinth?
ROUND II: Filming [Films set at sea (at least 70%) Special]
1. Waterworld is set on which planet?
2. Das Boot takes place during which war?
WORLD WAR II
3. Two scuba divers are left adrift and attempt to survive in which 2004 release?
4. Which disaster film was made in 1972 and remade in 2005?
THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE
5. In The Abyss the NTI probe takes the form of a column of what?
6. Who plays the title role in 1935’s Captain Blood?
7. Who directed White Squall?
8. What was Peter Weir’s only film of the 2000’s (2000-2009)?
MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD (one point for correct answer, second point for full answer)
9. Who actually sketched the infamous nude image of Rose in Titanic?
10. Twenty thousand dollars was spent on Sean Connery’s wig in The Hunt For Red October. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Excluding The Sphinx, name all 6 Mystery Men in the film of the same name. (one point per correct answer)
MR. FURIOUS / THE SHOVELER / THE BLUE RAJA / INVISIBLE BOY / THE SPLEEN / THE BOWLER
2. What are the subtitles of the Che Guevara two parter, starring Benecio Del Toro? (one point per correct answer)
THE ARGENTINE / GUERRILLA
3. What was the name of the neo-western starring Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz?
4. Apocalypto features which Mesoamerican civilisation?
5. In One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest, what is Nurse Ratched’s first name?
6. Who directed Michael Douglas and Sean Penn in The Game?
7. How many films featured both Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon?
8. In what year is Children Of Men set?
9. Daniel Day-Lewis won Oscars for his performances in which two films? (one point per correct answer)
MY LEFT FOOT / THERE WILL BE BLOOD
10. How is iconic 80’s character Frances Houseman better known?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What type of crime scene is first investigated in Bad Lieutenant? Arson? Homicide? Robbery?
2. What is the name of the leader of the Jets in West Side Story? Riff? Tiger? Action?
3. Which Akira Kurosawa film tells the story of a man who infiltrates a corrupt company to investigate his father’s death? The Lower Depths? The Bad Sleep Well? Scandal?
THE BAD SLEEP WELL
4. The opening scene of Persepolis takes place where? School in Tehran? Hospital in Vienna? French airport?
5. Who played the villainous Sir Brack in 1954’s Prince Valiant? James Mason? Laurence Olivier? Claude Rains?
6. Which of the following tells the story of a woman who returns to her family after being shipwrecked on a tropical island for several years? Dream Wife? My Favourite Wife? Long Lost Wife?
MY FAVOURITE WIFE
7. In which film does John Wayne play Sergeant John Stryker? Sands Of Iwo Jima? The Longest Day? The Green Berets?
SANDS OF IWO JIMA
8. Which of the following starred alongside Robert Redford in Barefoot In The Park? Goldie Hawn? Ingrid Bergman? Jane Fonda?
9. Glengarry Glen Ross takes place over how many days? Two? Four? Six?
10. Jack Nicholson was originally cast in the lead role of Oliver Stone’s Nixon but was quickly fired after insisting on wearing a false nose and playing the role as a stereotyped caricature. True or False?