[20 November 2011]
Guess Uhura’s Coming To Dinner
Genre – Chekov and Sulu embark on a series of first dates only to have each one ruined by Lt. Uhura and her randy sugar daddy, James T. Kirk, with hilarious consequences
The Undiscovered Country & Western
Genre – William Shatner’s renditions of classic country songs in his unique style
Jungle Book II: The Wrath Of Shere Kahn
Genre – A harrowing tale of jungle based revenge
Kobayashi Morons From Outer Space
Genre – Mel Smith captain the Enterprise in a disastrous Starfleet training movie
Genre – John Grisham is Star Trekkin’ across the universe
Star Trek: The Wrath Of Chaka Khan
Genre – Disco-fuelled documentary about a fight at the Capital Records studios. Chaka-Chaka Khan!
Star Trek XII: Breaking Wind
Genre – A Twilight sci-fi vampire flick with flatulance
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What type of animal is Roger Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
2. What is the title of the sequel to Gremlins?
2. What was the title of the 2002 film featuring Steve Irwin, the crocodile hunter? [bonus point for the full title]
THE CROCODILE HUNTER: COLLISION COURSE
4. The Last King Of Scotland is set in which country?
UGANDA (I will accept Africa, despite it being a continent)
5. Which Lord Of The Rings character called the one ring his ‘precious’?
GOLLUM / SMEAGOL [bonus point for stating Bilbo Baggins]
6. Which actor plays the role of Jason Bourne in the Bourne series?
7. Which Pixar film was released with the poster tagline, “After 700 years of doing what he was built for, he’ll discover what he was meant for”?
8. Who played King Arthur in 1995’s First Knight?
9. Which actor has quoted the following lines: “I could’ve been a contender, I could’ve been somebody” and “You come into my house on the day my daughter is to be married and you ask me to do murder for money”?
10. Who directed Tokyo Story? Akria Kurosawa or Yasujiro Ozu?
11. Which year saw the release of Ghostbusters, The Karate Kid and Footloose?
12. Monty Python released four feature-length films, name them. (one point per correct answer)
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT / THE HOLY GRAIL / LIFE OF BRIAN / THE MEANING OF LIFE (Live at the Hollywood Bowl and Almost The Truth not accepted)
ROUND II: Filming [Even numbered Star Trek films Special]
1. What is the name of the villain in Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan?
KHAN NOONIEN SINGH (alternatively KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!)
2. What are the names of the captains of the Enterprise? (one point per correct answer)
JAMES T. KIRK / JEAN LUC PICARD (arguably, also Cpt. Spock)
3. What was the title of the last film in the Star Trek continuity before the J.J. Abrams reboot?
4. Which alien race (or collective as they’re not really one race) is the main villain in First Contact?
5. Which US city do the Enterprise crew return to in The Voyage Home?
6. What is the name of the matter reorganising device in Wrath Of Khan?
7. What breed of whale is the probe trying to communicate with in The Voyage Home?
8. Which British actor plays Picard’s clone, Shinzon, in Nemesis?
9. Which two cast members directed Star Trek IV and VIII? (one point per correct answer)
LEONARD NIMOY / JONATHAN FRAKES
10. The title, The Undiscovered Country, comes from which Shakespearean play? [bonus point for what it refers to]
11. What class of starship is the Enterprise-E (as seen in First Contact and Nemesis)? Olympic? Sovereign? Galaxy?
12. Toward the end of production on The Undiscovered Country, Kim Cattrall and a photographer snuck on the set of the Enterprise bridge and took several nude photos, none of which survived because Leonard Nimoy caught them and destroyed the camera in a fit of rage. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What was the last narrative film to be shot entirely on 70mm film (specifically Panavision Super 70)?
2. What three colours are the tour cars/jeeps in Jurassic Park? (one point per correct answer)
GREEN / YELLOW / RED
3. How many roles does Cheech Marrin play in From Dusk ‘Til Dawn?
4. Ulysses Everett McGill, Pete Hogwallop and Delmar O’Donnell are characters from which film?
O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU?
5. Falling Down: As a retirement prank, Sgt. Martin Prendergast’s fellow policemen fill his draw with what?
6. The quote “Here come the pain” is from which Al Pacino film?
7. What is the name of the go-kart that the He-Man Woman Haters Club enter into the annual go-kart race, in The Little Rascals?
8. What did J. Lee Thompson direct after The Guns Of Navarone?
9. In About A Boy, Will Freeman attends a SPAT support group. What does SPAT stand for?
SINGLE PARENTS ALONE TOGETHER
10. What were the titles of the four sequels to Child’s Play? (one point per correct answer)
CHILD’S PLAY 2 / CHILD’S PLAY 3 / BRIDE OF CHUCKY / SEED OF CHUCKY
11. Which 1951 Robert Taylor swords-and-sandles flick featured uncredited cameos by Elizabeth Taylor and Sophia Loren? [bonus point for naming Mervyn LeRoy’s feature debut]
QUO VADIS [Little Caesar]
12. Die Hard takes place on what day?
CHRISTMAS EVE / 24th DECEMBER
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What does Jessica Tandy’s character dub the machines in *Batteries Not Included? Fix-its? Tiny technicians? Repairmen?
2. Which of the following composed the score for Titanic? Jerry Goldsmith? Carter Burwell? James Horner?
3. In Lucky Number Slevin, what does Slevin’s surname (Kelevra) mean in Hebrew? Good cat? Bad dog? Small fish?
4. Which French actor’s breakthrough role was in Mathieu Kassovitz’ La Haine? Andre Dussollier? Vincent Cassel? Jean Reno?
5. Gojira (Godzilla) is a hybrid of Gorilla and what other word? Whale? Lizard? Lion?
WHALE (Gorira and Kujira)
6. In Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance, Ryu kidnaps Yu-Sun to pay for his sister’s transplant. What organ does she need? Kidney? Liver? Heart?
7. What name does Mulan take when posing as a man, in the Disney film of the same name? Zhou? Ping? Li?
8. The following is a quote from which James Dean film: “I guess there’s just a certain amount of good and bad you get from your parents.. and I just got the bad”? East Of Eden? Rebel Without A Cause? Giant?
EAST OF EDEN
9. What is Salvatore’s nickname in Cinema Paradiso? Toto? Burro? Torus?
10. During the ‘space jockey’ scene in Alien, what did Ridley Scott use instead of the regular actors to make the set seem larger? Forced perspective? Children? Puppets?
11. Bollywood is often incorrectly used to refer to all Indian cinema, when it is in fact a term used for the Hindi language film industry in which city? Delhi? Bangalore? Mumbai?
12. A sequel to 1973’s The Sting was released ten years later called The Sting II. True or False?